SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #32,762 of 45,723
@Diet Kokaine the battery will take forever ....Covid19 is wrecking everything, coming to a state near you
My sister is a doctor at UC DAVIS, she is on the team that is taking care of the 1st Corona Virus case in Northern California.
Yeah, this one is hitting close to home.
ADD: The emergency Doctors that treated the woman are under quarantine....

I do hope they ship the battery sooner rather than later, If there is going to be a pandemic, I would at least like to have my music as I watch the world burn :)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #32,763 of 45,723
My sister is a doctor at UC DAVIS, she is on the team that is taking care of the 1st Corona Virus case in Northern California.
Yeah, this one is hitting close to home.
ADD: The emergency Doctors that treated the woman are under quarantine....

I do hope they ship the battery sooner rather than later, If there is going to be a pandemic, I would at least like to have my music as I watch the world burn :)
Thank to your sister. She is a hero !!! And every other health workers

I do hope that we can control this outbreak before it gets any worse.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #32,764 of 45,723
Sony actually leaves huge potentials for their hardware and tuning to be digged, they just reserved the best for DMP-Z1 and J region models.
Or maybe in the beginning they weren't intended to reserve anything, until recent years Sony raised the bar by creating DMP-Z1. The evolution of DSP / filter tunings evaded the dated Signature Series, just like those DSD remaster engines and DSEE AI. All the latest best techs went for DMP and even ZX507.
If it weren't for the FW mods, 1A/1Z would be already matured enough for most of us to enjoy.
The modder is revolutionary in a way that he accidentally bridged the gaps between the best in the past and the best by now.
If there will still be improvement for Walkmans, it must be the official FW for DMP 1.03. If no fundamental change incurs by then, we can still port it here to enjoy the pinnacle view.

To bad someone can’t fly a TA over to him. Obviously this is all totally subjective. But then of course you start to read about group opinion. And there is something to be said of the wisdom of group opinion. Look at how companies do study groups where they try out taste tests and listen to group opinion, trying obviously to somehow consolidate individual subjectivity. With all that said I’m pretty sure there is some unlocked potential in the TA-ZH1ES signature? It’s perfect with the MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z1R, but can be slightly dark with some IEMs. It passes up the Walkmans in some areas. But as there is no way to alter the tone, it may be set very conservative, almost old-school sounding. Being able to change the tone like Walkman firmwares would be a amazing. Though remember too, the Walkmans and DMP-Z1 are all made, and designed by a separate engineering wing with a different “TA” wing at designing the “TA”.

I’ll eventually try the new firmwares, though I haven’t yet.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #32,765 of 45,723
Thank to your sister. She is a hero !!! And every other health workers

I do hope that we can control this outbreak before it gets any worse.
The mortality rate for Corona Virus is rather low. Especially when compared to the 1918 Flu outbreak.
I am hoping this fizzles out, like the Bird FLU etc..scare.
About 50,000 people die of the Normal flu in the US every year, sooo...we have to take that into consideration too.

And yes, these Healthcare workers, bear the brunt of these epidemics, they are on the front lines to say the least. It's a tough job.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #32,766 of 45,723
The mortality rate for Corona Virus is rather low. Especially when compared to the 1914 Flu outbreak.
I am hoping this fizzles out, like the Bird FLU etc..scare.
About 50,000 people die of the Normal flu in the US every year, sooo...we have to take that into consideration too.

And yes, these Healthcare workers, bear the brunt of these epidemics, they are on the front lines to say the least. It's a tough job.

Yes, we are at 78,000 Flu deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #32,768 of 45,723
To bad someone can’t fly a TA over to him. Obviously this is all totally subjective. But then of course you start to read about group opinion. And there is something to be said of the wisdom of group opinion. Look at how companies do study groups where they try out taste tests and listen to group opinion, trying obviously to somehow consolidate individual subjectivity. With all that said I’m pretty sure there is some unlocked potential in the TA-ZH1ES signature? It’s perfect with the MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z1R, but can be slightly dark with some IEMs. It passes up the Walkmans in some areas. But as there is no way to alter the tone, it may be set very conservative, almost old-school sounding. Being able to change the tone like Walkman firmwares would be a amazing. Though remember too, the Walkmans and DMP-Z1 are all made, and designed by a separate engineering wing with a different “TA” wing at designing the “TA”.

I’ll eventually try the new firmwares, though I haven’t yet.

I've been through various groups, from local groups, domestic forums to Head-fi, and this time at Head-fi I tried to stay out of the scene without "consolidating" subjectivities. Yet in 3 days everyone got a lot crazier than I expected... Stay calm as you are, I cannot, even after listening to the new sounds for months.
I remember at first stage (later 2019) many people still criticized the mods for sounding bad and deviating from Sony house sound for too far. Now I see a clear progression path.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #32,769 of 45,723
Well the thing isn’t about the mortality rate that is being reported.

I never seen a country isolate itself and quarantine in a mass scale like what China is doing. They are on the quest to conquer 1 world order, and being strong in Trade war against the US, but somehow have to fold down and succumb into the quarantine procedures that effect it own economy and then the rest of the world as China is the strongest suppliers anyone can have ?
There is something funky going on. i don’t want to sound negatives .... so I will stop it here

Better stay safe guys. Your best bet is 100% alcohol for cleaning purposes, hands, surfaces, packages....etc

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #32,770 of 45,723
first initial/maybe placebo impressions with DMPZ1 fw on my stock WM1A , soundstage seems bigger/expanded and i get better imaging/separation ?

maybe it's placebo or expectancy bias, still this is a great way for us to toy around with our WM1A/Z until this coronavirus thing blows over(?)

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #32,771 of 45,723

I never seen a country isolate itself and quarantine in a mass scale like what China is doing. They are on the quest to conquer 1 world order, and being strong in Trade war against the US, but somehow have to fold down and succumb into the quarantine procedures that effect it own economy and then the rest of the world as China is the strongest suppliers anyone can have ?
There is something funky going on. i don’t want to sound negatives .... so I will stop it here

Better stay safe guys. Your best bet is 100% alcohol for cleaning purposes, hands, surfaces, packages....etc
Yes the cost is beyond huge here. But we have already controlled the virus, most provinces almost eliminate the contagions, with Wuhan fighting the last battleground. It is the rest of the world we are now worrying about, since most countries won't act like the way we did. it costs too much.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #32,772 of 45,723

China's economy was collapsing before this Scare. I just think it's too convenient, now they have something to blame. The trade war and the insane US deficits have already done the damage.
I still think this is a lot to do about nothing.... Hopefully I am right.
But yes, take care of yourself, better safe than sorry.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #32,773 of 45,723
what China did is remarkable , but i am not sure if other countries can show that kind of discipline to contain their virus cases

i see how much the virus is spiralling in nearby Italy in last few days and to be honest the scary thing will be if there is a virus mutation that makes the mortality rates climb from 2% to something like 20% - then i will start to be really worried

curious if this thing fizzles out or we are just in the initial phase of something much bigger and scarier.....

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #32,774 of 45,723
what China did is remarkable , but i am not sure if other countries can show that kind of discipline to contain their virus cases

i see how much the virus is spiralling in nearby Italy in last few days and to be honest the scary thing will be if there is a virus mutation that makes the mortality rates climb from 2% to something like 20% - then i will start to be really worried

curious if this thing fizzles out or we are just in the initial phase of something much bigger and scarier.....
The 2% mortality rate is amongst the people hospitalized. That is not the real number of infections out there.
Mortality rate is much much lower.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #32,775 of 45,723
The mortality rates is low because now the base number is low. The scary side of this virus is its very high contagious feature. When everyone is infected, your medical system cannot afford so many patients, then many die due to the lack of medical treatment.
We have been through this process. Only radical procedures can conquer it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back