SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #31,516 of 45,723
Idk bro...I do it in my own preferences and experiences. But every bit of upgrades will contribute a lot to the WM players.

How does my WM1A do now ? I have not had wm1Z for a while. But I can tell you what it improved for me

I am gonna list out the cons or negatives of Wm1A stock

1/ Most noticeably is the emphasized on Bass and lower mid bass...but doesn’t dive deep enough into sub bass. Good extensions but blooming and hazy

2/ sound signature is more balanced than wm1Z which is a little warmer but without that bass emphasis and has great sub bass and control when compared to WM1A stock

3/ Mid is fluid but upper mid fell short on it energy, extensions and details at upper mid and lower trebles

4/ trebles is a little boosted up on upper frequencies

both #3 and #4 makes stock 1A to loose out some resolutions in mid and lower trebles. It is there but the #1 bass take over everything

Then in some bad recording, the sibilants can be harsh.

5/ soundstage: wide and expansive, Tall and vertically impressive, but cue of positioning is hazy and confusing

6/ pitch accuracy: this is the worse....the pitch accuracy is pretty much Mid-Tier level

7/ Airiness: pretty congested considering all the Negatives altogether....especially because of upper mid and lower treble fault

I wouldn’t call stock Wm1A to be in the same tier as WM1Z. That shows how much better power supply caps could improve the platform

Stock WM1A is pretty mid-tie

So, what does the modified unit sound like
?

Neutralizing the bass emphasis, bring deep sub bass and extensions, better textures.

Mids are now fully energetic and vastly improved on upper mid and lower treble details/resolutions.

trebles are now with better resolutions, extended ways better, and all together bring a great senses of airiness.

Soundstage is vastly improved into expansive and enveloping presentations with great airiness.

Fluidity and liquidity remains and improved to be a better flow between transients which brings musicality while Being “references”

I could improve the Lowpass filter, but there is no need. The WM1Z uses the same, so ATM, I enjoy it this way

Resistors could also be possible to upgrade but no need. I love MEL, and the MELF within WM1A is top on the market still

After modification: WM1A is now “Top-tier level”.

This picture will not show DC 20AWG Litz Ground connection

A0459270-CFB0-4BE3-B4DC-A7AC312E1F4E.jpeg
How much will you price the modd, if I send you mine for a "plastic surgery" :D ?

Feb 7, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #31,517 of 45,723
How much will you price the modd, if I send you mine for a "plastic surgery" :D ?
He is pretty reasonable in price but the majority of cost that you may have to consider is the shipping. It cost quite a lot, given you are in Germany

Feb 7, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #31,518 of 45,723

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #31,519 of 45,723

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #31,520 of 45,723
Feb 7, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #31,521 of 45,723
Of course the changes are for the worse otherwise AK users would not be crying foul if the changes are for the better. However, some isolated users thought the changes are better. That is why I was wondering whether those are placebo effects. Since I cannot go back to the previous version on SP2K, I did not dare to upgrade at all since I own the SP2K.

The question is if Sony denied altering the sound in a new version out of fear that users demands refund they can always go back to the previous version, so there is no harm done. So why does Sony still denied sound changes?

Why indeed?

Feb 7, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #31,522 of 45,723
Idk bro...I do it in my own preferences and experiences. But every bit of upgrades will contribute a lot to the WM players.

How does my WM1A do now ? I have not had wm1Z for a while. But I can tell you what it improved for me

I am gonna list out the cons or negatives of Wm1A stock

1/ Most noticeably is the emphasized on Bass and lower mid bass...but doesn’t dive deep enough into sub bass. Good extensions but blooming and hazy

2/ sound signature is more balanced than wm1Z which is a little warmer but without that bass emphasis and has great sub bass and control when compared to WM1A stock

3/ Mid is fluid but upper mid fell short on it energy, extensions and details at upper mid and lower trebles

4/ trebles is a little boosted up on upper frequencies

both #3 and #4 makes stock 1A to loose out some resolutions in mid and lower trebles. It is there but the #1 bass take over everything

Then in some bad recording, the sibilants can be harsh.

5/ soundstage: wide and expansive, Tall and vertically impressive, but cue of positioning is hazy and confusing

6/ pitch accuracy: this is the worse....the pitch accuracy is pretty much Mid-Tier level

7/ Airiness: pretty congested considering all the Negatives altogether....especially because of upper mid and lower treble fault

I wouldn’t call stock Wm1A to be in the same tier as WM1Z. That shows how much better power supply caps could improve the platform

Stock WM1A is pretty mid-tie

So, what does the modified unit sound like
?

Neutralizing the bass emphasis, bring deep sub bass and extensions, better textures.

Mids are now fully energetic and vastly improved on upper mid and lower treble details/resolutions.

trebles are now with better resolutions, extended ways better, and all together bring a great senses of airiness.

Soundstage is vastly improved into expansive and enveloping presentations with great airiness.

Fluidity and liquidity remains and improved to be a better flow between transients which brings musicality while Being “references”

I could improve the Lowpass filter, but there is no need. The WM1Z uses the same, so ATM, I enjoy it this way

Resistors could also be possible to upgrade but no need. I love MEL, and the MELF within WM1A is top on the market still

After modification: WM1A is now “Top-tier level”.

This picture will not show DC 20AWG Litz Ground connection

A0459270-CFB0-4BE3-B4DC-A7AC312E1F4E.jpeg

That is some serious job you done there wow.

I see also 6 new caps, is the same function as ms explained me? For balcker background?

I would personally go for gold plated silver cable but its a personal preference here...

Yeaa now 1a is a ToTl dap level thats awsome!

But probably from how you describe it moded 1z will be a step higher. Feels like it...

Nice job @Whitigir

Feb 7, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #31,523 of 45,723
Technically speaking, this Wm1A is more advance than WM1Z even with internal wires upgrade.

I wouldn’t modify WM1Z with this mod because it doesn’t make sense. I explained about those caps on last post

Simply put, Power supply is important, and every component that make it. Sony already demonstrated it with WM1Z vs WM1A. Those caps are in power supply and on different sections of it I used different caps accordingly to Tune the voicing

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #31,524 of 45,723
Does it sounds more like Hi-Fi, or more like analog?

If I remember correctly, unmodified 1A feels limited on both ends of bass and trebles. Maybe I should clarify more; I was comparing this with my current modded1Z. Unmodded 1A sounds lifeless, there is this lack of subbass, it’s unsatisfying.

Unmodified 1Z is amazing in its musicality and it’s 3D spatial positioning, although it sounds pretty thick like a 85% dark chocolate. But the trade off is its soundstage is smaller than unmodded 1A.

And I thought you used gold cable to add needed warmth and musicality? Or is there any other reasons?

Gold is Neutral and Musical at the same time. I needed that

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #31,525 of 45,723
Gold is Neutral and Musical at the same time. I needed that

I wonder if you put 1a into 1z chassis and if that would improve further more on the musicality department

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #31,527 of 45,723
It would but I don’t need it as it is heavy and I already used gold to Voice it up the way I wanted

You could start a new trend haha
The 1a/1z chassis rolling method ) ) )

Feb 7, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #31,529 of 45,723
Now it makes IER Z1R sing!!!! Exactly what I need for bedtime sleeping and around the office. It is funny that IER Z1R bring me back into Walkman world....

Attachments

• 54820B13-6793-4747-A85B-1349D33C65E2.jpeg
    54820B13-6793-4747-A85B-1349D33C65E2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back