SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #24,361 of 45,723
It seems the vonyl processor in general, it acrifces a bit of resolution for a more fuller sound with rich warm emphasis. Seems like bass decay is a bit slower than usual, this seems evident on these Froberger edition by bob Asperen, the bass notes of this Harpsichord sustain for a bit longer

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #24,362 of 45,723
Nothing......it does nothing other than what you could do by changing a memory card. But there was a post earlier which showed in Instagram that the DAC function worked, but it does not. All it would do is give you more memory really. But the Bluetooth function does work and sounds better than the Apple codec. Again.....an actual downgrade in sound not an upgrade from playing in-house files. Why do it? Because you can.

If all you had other than Sony Walkmans and an iPhone it would show you how maybe another device would sound with optimal Bluetooth sound. People are wanting to stream music or play files and use the DAC/amp function of their 1Z. If you were using simply an IPhone this set up could replicate (as a test) what a better Bluetooth device would sound like.

That was nice from you to try and post :)

Some audiophiles will subjectively and arguably state that a cable connection between two nw-wm1's will produce better sound quality than a single DAP operation as one device takes care of the transport functionality and the other only takes care digital-analogue conversion.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #24,363 of 45,723
get a used wm1a for 700$ and you are good .
lol we are still talking about double the price of a used zx300

also tbh what i really need is a dac/amp
i really wonder about the PHA2\3\2A vs. the different sony daps, i have spent lot of time reading about these models but it seems that people`s opinions are so damn biased regarding who is better,
some say PHA3 is better than WM1Z. some say it sounds like WM1A, some say the PHA3 is the worst and PHA2 is much better, and the PHA-2A is basically WM1A?
i dont know what to think anymore :/
sorry im bringing this subject again but the opinions about the various sony dac\amp are all over the place.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #24,364 of 45,723

i really wonder about the PHA2\3\2A vs. the different sony daps, i have spent lot of time reading about these models but it seems that people`s opinions are so damn biased regarding who is better,
some say PHA3 is better than WM1Z. some say it sounds like WM1A, some say the PHA3 is the worst and PHA2 is much better, and the PHA-2A is basically WM1A?
sorry im bringing this subject again but the opinions about the various sony dac\amp are all over the place.
Amazon return policy is great

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #24,365 of 45,723

Depends on your intended application, if what you are looking for is a dac/amp then it might be better to get a dedicated dac amp. From my experience if connected to a computer or phone as a source, there are latency issues. So watching video content would not be ideal, Furthermore you could potentially get more driving power from a dac/amp as compared from the WM1A / 300ZX, which then would matter depend on what your transducers maybe.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #24,366 of 45,723
guys, so I understand the new update allows the WM1A to work as external dac\amp for android phones like the ZX300 could do all along?

if so is it worth investing almost X2 the price to get the WM1A sound wise? info i have read is confusing, people say the zx300 sound almost the same, I planned to get ZX300 this week to use my phone but this might change my plans
I would absolutely not pay twice the price of a zx300. I've never heard the zx300, but I've read that the sound quality on the wm1a is better. It is also more balanced, compared to the zx300's warm signature. Why wouldn't I pay twice the price? Because you can get it much cheaper. I bought mine refurbished from ebay. I also bought it on a day where there was a 15 percent off sale, so my total came to 700.

The other difference is portability. The wm1a is a bit of a tank. It weighs a bit over 9oz. The zx300 is 5.5. The zx300 has 64gb vs 128 on the wm. Those are all the differences I can think of.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #24,367 of 45,723
Have any Sony NW - WM1Z owners had a chance to compare it against the Cayin N8 DAP?

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #24,368 of 45,723
That was nice from you to try and post :)

Some audiophiles will subjectively and arguably state that a cable connection between two nw-wm1's will produce better sound quality than a single DAP operation as one device takes care of the transport functionality and the other only takes care digital-analogue conversion.
A couple of posts back there was photos and a description; so it was curiousness at hand. Bluetooth worked of course but the photo of the A1 being a file transport for the Z1 DAC simply does not work. Though the cable didn’t look like a stock Sony cable in the Instagram photo? I can just say in my experience with the Sony USB and dongle; the pair does not communicate.

But..... Bluetooth sounds pretty good?
I don’t have any portable Bluetooth players except iPods and iPhones, so the A1 is a great Bluetooth generator sounding way better than the Apple codec. It’s nice to hear in case someone wanted to explore high quality Bluetooth codec players to use with the 1Z.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #24,369 of 45,723
FA12626E-916D-4224-898E-59272CB5B228.png

With the old firmware the SX300 was noticeably warmer than the 1A. It’s true that whenever someone makes an investment here they defend it; so you will read conflicting reports about players.Your best advice could maybe be from the folks who had the ZX300 and upgraded to the 1A?

I don’t even take the 1A out of the house as I feel it’s too big. But the ZX300 is a nice size and weight. IMO. For me IPod Touch size is perfect for walking around. I was close to getting the ZX300 when I was in Japan, but the Sony people explained the local ZX300 players are Japanese launguge only. At the time I didn’t know you could Rockbox a ZX300 and change the geography. I think you can on the Japan ZX300s?

Your other choice is the 16GB Joybuy ZX300 is which is super low cost. It can even take a 400GB card and have lots of songs. I have no experience with the Joybuy but many on the ZX300 thread have made the purchase.

Direct from China $379.
https://m.joybuy.com/600198203.html

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #24,370 of 45,723
For audio things. Best is try it yourself with your gear. Believe in your ears.

No people have same ear and gears as you.

People can only give you references.

Oct 7, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #24,372 of 45,723
screenshot_20160411_141058880.png

Anyone like the new meter? Screen capture is ..volume up....volume down...hold on/off switch till message comes up.

Oct 7, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #24,373 of 45,723
Amazon return policy is great
some of us arent blessed with amazon in their country.

Depends on your intended application, if what you are looking for is a dac/amp then it might be better to get a dedicated dac amp. From my experience if connected to a computer or phone as a source, there are latency issues. So watching video content would not be ideal, Furthermore you could potentially get more driving power from a dac/amp as compared from the WM1A / 300ZX, which then would matter depend on what your transducers maybe.
The question is which amp, and i kinda want more power, its always a good thing.

With the old firmware the SX300 was noticeably warmer than the 1A. It’s true that whenever someone makes an investment here they defend it; so you will read conflicting reports about players.Your best advice could maybe be from the folks who had the ZX300 and upgraded to the 1A?

I don’t even take the 1A out of the house as I feel it’s too big. But the ZX300 is a nice size and weight. IMO. For me IPod Touch size is perfect for walking around. I was close to getting the ZX300 when I was in Japan, but the Sony people explained the local ZX300 players are Japanese launguge only. At the time I didn’t know you could Rockbox a ZX300 and change the geography. I think you can on the Japan ZX300s?

Your other choice is the 16GB Joybuy ZX300 is which is super low cost. It can even take a 400GB card and have lots of songs. I have no experience with the Joybuy but many on the ZX300 thread have made the purchase.

Direct from China $379.
https://m.joybuy.com/600198203.html
portability is also a factor here for me but if someone could come up and say the PHA-3\2A are well worth it even with their size i would still get one of them instead of the ZX300.

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #24,375 of 45,723
Try to connect to your Macbook with the DAC charging option turned off. If that fixes the problem it means that your Macbook is not supplying enough current to charge your WM1A. Assuming that is the case, you need a powered USB hub or an "audiophile" solution would be an iFi iDefender plus a low noise power supply like iPower.

No luck, I have turned off DAC charging as suggested , problem persists. USB port at MacBook Pro not enough power to drive WM1A DAC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back