SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #22,774 of 45,723
Using a USB3 card reader on Windows 10, I get 40 MB/s write and 90 MB/s read. That 2-1 ratio is usually the case with all U1 flash media. There are other factors:
  • exFat format is a little faster the Fat32
  • The peak rated read of 100 MB/s is only for large files. If you are copying a large number of small files like song tracks, your performance will be less because there is a error checking after each file is transferred. You will see hi res files transfer faster than lossy files.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #22,776 of 45,723
I have NVME in my notebook. I would love to have this speed at least in the memory inside the WM1Z, but it's just 30 mb/s. For me it's ridiculous this speed. Any microSD has better speed than this.

You would need a U3 Class SD card to get similar read/write performance, however those tend to be lower capacity. Next step up would be UHS-II spec cards that use extra data lanes to transfer 200-300 MB/s but that requires your device to have those extra data lanes enabled. Highly doubtful that Sony did that for DAPs but they do have them for their digital cameras.

How much data are you reading and writing on a daily basis where speed is a factor? I know the initial loading of all you tracks takes hours, but for me its a CD or 2 per month addition.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #22,779 of 45,723
@bflat I load music every 3 - 6 months, hell this 400gb has plenty of space

Yes, and from what I learned about playlists, it's better to put all of your tracks on one large media and reserve the internal memory for albums that you never intend to put on playlists. However, since the DMP has 2 slots, maybe Sony will fix this limitation with the next firmware release. On AK DAPs all the tracks on both internal and external storage appear as though they are all on one directory. I read the WM1a/z manual and it clearly states that playlist cannot include tracks from both internal and external storage. There is no hardware reason why internal and external tracks are mutually exclusive.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #22,780 of 45,723
You would need a U3 Class SD card to get similar read/write performance, however those tend to be lower capacity. Next step up would be UHS-II spec cards that use extra data lanes to transfer 200-300 MB/s but that requires your device to have those extra data lanes enabled. Highly doubtful that Sony did that for DAPs but they do have them for their digital cameras.

How much data are you reading and writing on a daily basis where speed is a factor? I know the initial loading of all you tracks takes hours, but for me its a CD or 2 per month addition.

The problem is that I have other DAPs and sometimes I need to change the microsd from one to another. Sometimes this doesn't work and I need to format and transfer again.
With my two Samsung 256 GB Evo Plus it's fine, the transfer speed is around 70 mb/s, but the Sandisk 400 GB is much slower. And 256 GB is not enough for all my music. That's all.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #22,783 of 45,723
Aug 15, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #22,784 of 45,723
The problem is that I have other DAPs and sometimes I need to change the microsd from one to another. Sometimes this doesn't work and I need to format and transfer again.
With my two Samsung 256 GB Evo Plus it's fine, the transfer speed is around 70 mb/s, but the Sandisk 400 GB is much slower. And 256 GB is not enough for all my music. That's all.

That's correct. Samsung is U3 class so write and read speed are similar so that is why you see 70 mb/s. Sandisk 400 GB is U1 class so write speed drops to around 40.

It's not surprising that you are unable to universally use the same SD card across different DAPs. I have not seen a consistent pattern of exFAT or FAT32 supported DAPs and these formats are not compatible with each other.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #22,785 of 45,723
That's correct. Samsung is U3 class so write and read speed are similar so that is why you see 70 mb/s. Sandisk 400 GB is U1 class so write speed drops to around 40.

It's not surprising that you are unable to universally use the same SD card across different DAPs. I have not seen a consistent pattern of exFAT or FAT32 supported DAPs and these formats are not compatible with each other.

Yes, I know, and this is ok. I know that I will need to format, the only complain is that they are not releasing U3 microsd with 512 GB, or even the 400 GB. It's taking a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back