SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #22,727 of 45,723
SONY ANNOUNCES FROM WHAT HIFI
DMP-Z1 and IER-Z1R
The player features a 3.1in touch-screen, mirror-finished aluminium top plate and spin-finished aluminium playback control keys. The focal point, though, has to be that gold-plated, analogue, rotary volume control.

Unsurprisingly, the player comes packing full high-res audiosupport and includes DSD compatibility up to 11.2MHz.

Inside, you'll find a high-quality headphone amp, dual Asahi Kasei Microdevices AK4497EQ DACs and an analogue ampifier section.

Interestingly, the DMP-Z1 can be powered via mains or the player's independent battery power system, which uses five separate battery cells to power both the player's digital and analogue blocks. A full charge should be enough for around ten hours of playback of non-high-res tunes (up to 128kbps) and around nine hours of high-res tracks (24bit/96kHz).

There's 256GB of built-in storage to fill, with the ability to expand this via dual micro SD card slots. USB Type-C connections and a Bluetooth receiver (including aptX HD) are also built in.

Sony's DSD Remastering Engine is included, which allows you to convert all PCM music sources to DSD 5.6MHz. The player even has a new Vinyl Processor feature, which Sony claims can recreate "the acoustic phenomenon unique to vinyl playback, such as the tone-arm resonance, tiny surface noise and the rich sound from the vibration by acoustic feedback from the speakers to the turntable". Interesting
In a double whammy of high-end releases, Sony has also unveiled the IER-Z1R in-ear headphones. With a price tag of HKD13,990 (£1395) they're aimed squarely at serious audiophiles and, quite possibly, prospective owners of a DMP-Z1.

The Z1Rs use Sony's "HD hybrid driver system", which combines a 5mm dynamic driver, 12mm magnesium alloy domed dynamic driver and a Balanced Armature driver made from the same material.

Their outer housing is made from Zirconium alloy and includes faceplates that boast an eye-catching Perlage pattern.

Both the DMP-Z1 and IER-Z1R are due to go on sale in the Asia Pacific region in November, but no word on whether they'll both be on their way to Europe. Could we hear more at IFA 2018? Stay tuned to What Hi-Fi? over the coming weeks

I'm still clutching my WM Z1 tightly I love it so much.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #22,728 of 45,723
SONY ANNOUNCES FROM WHAT HIFI
DMP-Z1 and IER-Z1R
The player features a 3.1in touch-screen, mirror-finished aluminium top plate and spin-finished aluminium playback control keys. The focal point, though, has to be that gold-plated, analogue, rotary volume control.

Unsurprisingly, the player comes packing full high-res audiosupport and includes DSD compatibility up to 11.2MHz.

Inside, you'll find a high-quality headphone amp, dual Asahi Kasei Microdevices AK4497EQ DACs and an analogue ampifier section.

Interestingly, the DMP-Z1 can be powered via mains or the player's independent battery power system, which uses five separate battery cells to power both the player's digital and analogue blocks. A full charge should be enough for around ten hours of playback of non-high-res tunes (up to 128kbps) and around nine hours of high-res tracks (24bit/96kHz).

There's 256GB of built-in storage to fill, with the ability to expand this via dual micro SD card slots. USB Type-C connections and a Bluetooth receiver (including aptX HD) are also built in.

Sony's DSD Remastering Engine is included, which allows you to convert all PCM music sources to DSD 5.6MHz. The player even has a new Vinyl Processor feature, which Sony claims can recreate "the acoustic phenomenon unique to vinyl playback, such as the tone-arm resonance, tiny surface noise and the rich sound from the vibration by acoustic feedback from the speakers to the turntable". Interesting
In a double whammy of high-end releases, Sony has also unveiled the IER-Z1R in-ear headphones. With a price tag of HKD13,990 (£1395) they're aimed squarely at serious audiophiles and, quite possibly, prospective owners of a DMP-Z1.

The Z1Rs use Sony's "HD hybrid driver system", which combines a 5mm dynamic driver, 12mm magnesium alloy domed dynamic driver and a Balanced Armature driver made from the same material.

Their outer housing is made from Zirconium alloy and includes faceplates that boast an eye-catching Perlage pattern.

Both the DMP-Z1 and IER-Z1R are due to go on sale in the Asia Pacific region in November, but no word on whether they'll both be on their way to Europe. Could we hear more at IFA 2018? Stay tuned to What Hi-Fi? over the coming weeks

I'm still clutching my WM Z1 tightly I love it so much.
DMP-Z1 is not even a Walkman. As it is not portable like the Walkman essence implies. But yeah ier-z1r in my bucket list

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #22,729 of 45,723
Strange. Sony's next gen TOTL DAP seems to be going backwards:
  • Significantly larger and heavier
  • Smaller touch screen
  • Off the shelf DAC chips
  • No change in sampling rates
  • Shorter battery life
  • Proprietary power supply
Well, it makes the buying decision for the WM1z easier I suppose.

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #22,731 of 45,723
JHA Laylas, Black Midas case by Dignis
IMG_3210.jpg

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #22,732 of 45,723
I don't think so for me. I have a spectacular sound from the MDR-EX1000 and a great fit with them, and the IER-Z1R was already quoted by a few persons as problematic fitting. That is a no go for me. I had the XBA-H3 for some time and was totally disappointed by the sound and the fit.
I have the xba-h3. I’m ready to graduate to something better. AKG 5005? I love resolution, and I definitely feel the H3 have midbass bloat, especially on high gain. I would love something that sounds like my proac speakers on the road. I definitely feel like the H3 are the weak link, even though at times they do sound excellent. It’s strange. Sometimes I love them, sometimes I think they sound crappy.

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #22,733 of 45,723
The Campfire Audio Andromeda in balanced mode might be what you are looking for.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #22,737 of 45,723
The Campfire Audio Andromeda in balanced mode might be what you are looking for.
I think you may be right. After searching this thread in regard to the andromeda, it appears that hiss seems to be a concern, but wm1a owners say it's a non issue. My H3's were my first real "better" IEM's, but now since I've gone balanced, it's become a blessing and a curse. Hiss would be a deal breaker for me

My H3's have never sounded better since going balanced with the inexpensive kinboofi 50 dollar cable (bought it just to test drive the balanced out on the wm1a finally) but I can now hear the signature more easily and the relative limitations of these IEM's. I can hear the wm1a greatness trying to peer through the H3's and can tell that there is still a lot of sonic greatness to be realized, but the H3 is not a TOTL iem, but more of an excellent intermediate stepping stone of an IEM. I wish I could hear the andromeda before purchasing, though.

I can only imagine what a high end balanced cable adds to the mix over an entry level one like the one I have. But I will say this, 17 hours into my balanced mode journey and I can tell that the upgaditis is brewing. Must resist until full burn in!!! But I know in my heart of hearts, that there are IEM's that will slay my first love H3's, and it's just a matter of time.....This wm1a has really changed my listening world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back