SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #22,021 of 45,723
I am sorry to hear that Sony doesn't meet your needs, and I hope that you find something that does work well.

Well I'm hoping this wm1z is a significantly better sound
I can get it for 1k$ so I feel I should... Even if I hate it lol

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #22,022 of 45,723
@NaiveSound What kind of music do you listen to? I am a big I am a big metal
head, and Sony seems to work really well for that. everybody's ears are so different, I have pretty much hated every Astel & Kern I've listened to

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #22,023 of 45,723
@NaiveSound What kind of music do you listen to? I am a big I am a big metal
head, and Sony seems to work really well for that. everybody's ears are so different, I have pretty much hated every Astel & Kern I've listened to

I like electronic music, techno, minimal, electro,. 80s rock/pop, some modern garbage as well

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #22,025 of 45,723
They can said whatever they think they know, but have they try it is my question

You want to try it ? You are welcome to try it. I don’t think that I know thing...I do know as a fact. Again, I say do never short out your 4.4mm by plugging Single ended Into it, but if you are going to try it, go ahead, and if you don’t think anything bad will happen, then enjoy it

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #22,026 of 45,723
Well I'm hoping this wm1z is a significantly better sound
I can get it for 1k$ so I feel I should... Even if I hate it lol

SWEET!

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #22,027 of 45,723
You want to try it ? You are welcome to try it. I don’t think that I know thing...I do know as a fact. Again, I say do never short out your 4.4mm by plugging Single ended Into it, but if you are going to try it, go ahead, and if you don’t think anything bad will happen, then enjoy it
I had try it and still currently using it since the dap first came out and nothing shorted, what bug me is that people say crap that they dont know what they saying, just jump on other people hype

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #22,028 of 45,723
I've reached the conclusion That listening to music is an Art. To enjoy the melodies and be immersed into them, getting lost in the music. Enjoying every note, dissecting every detail, no, not for measuring the device as other people do, which is fine and okay. But to discern what the composer intended to transmit with his/her works.

I try to find the harmony between the main part and the accompaniment, like to follow the imitation notes in fugues/preludes/canons and follow the motif in the coming instruments. Love listening to the voicing of the instruments and feel their air.

I love that i have a big library mostly 16/44.1 as my minimum for quality and that i can choose tracks for every occasion. F.e driving can be a symphonic work or organ works with high energy and fast -paced rythm. On the other hand a dinner for two a romantic chopin piano piece, some bach/L. Weiss suites for lute.

Listening to music is like tasting wine, you smell it and then taste it and discern the flavours in it, same for music you hear it, immerse in it, listen to each instrument, to the melody as a whole. I am not saying to concentrate as to "i'am measuring my WM1A to see if DSD 256 upsacle of a CD 16/44 sounds better than the original CD file". Just fall on bed, on the couch and plug your Headphone, your stereo system and press play. Imagine you're the spectator or the artist playing the instrument or the conductor conducting the orchestra/ensemble.

I concentrate as to discern minute differences when i try various versions of some piece/work as to decide which Album is the keeper.

Like @Quadfather I love music so much, there is no single day i don't listen to music (unless i forget my headphones at home :D). With no music i tend to get bored :p

And to reach this conclusion i had to have all my music as lossless and a good source. This started with the apple iPod classic and progressed to a FiiO x3 frist gen, NWZ-A17, ZX100 and WM1A

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #22,029 of 45,723
I had try it and still currently using it since the dap first came out and nothing shorted, what bug me is that people say crap that they dont know what they saying, just jump on other people hype
Dude, that is good for you. You officially know more than I do.

Word of advice to other people, never connect single ended into a balanced output socket. Unless you want to damage your DAP

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #22,030 of 45,723
Look, i don't feel that well right now to start a war, this ****ing dry eye (YAG capsulotomy yesterday). ask other members the same question "Will a 3.5mm TRS SE female to 4.4mm balanced male cause a short"? and they will agree with me.

Noticed this conversation on the SE to Balanced shorting subject (read this a while back when it was topical but fear I may of read it round the wrong way months ago and just want to be sure here as seen couple of photos where they are cable conversion plugs (pigtails) where you guys are talking about this subject so would the same apply to the 3.5SE female to 4.4 Balanced male adaptor plug that does not have a pigtail cable in between the male and female section that is now readily available on say Amazon?

And if so is this a process that would slowly happen over time damaging the amplifier board or could it be a case of it can just blow like a trip switch on the fuse box once you insert it and play something and also I take it the volume load used would be irrelevant here and just playing something through it no matter what volume would cause the shorting?

I must admit I have one of these adaptors a little while now and only used a few times and nothing untowards has happened (yet) hence I ask is it one of those things that would gradually degrade the amp board over time until it gives out or should happen from the word go plugging it in as in my case not happened (as of yet!)

It's just crazy to think if this is the case there are people making the adaptors for this config if it can damage (short the circuits). Is this what happens when the Chinese make something to go with something designed by the Japanese!?
...if it is the case the adaptor is a health risk to the Sony.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #22,031 of 45,723
Noticed this conversation on the SE to Balanced shorting subject (read this a while back when it was topical but fear I may of read it round the wrong way months ago and just want to be sure here as seen couple of photos where they are cable conversion plugs (pigtails) where you guys are talking about this subject so would the same apply to the 3.5SE female to 4.4 Balanced male adaptor plug that does not have a pigtail cable in between the male and female section that is now readily available on say Amazon?

And if so is this a process that would slowly happen over time damaging the amplifier board or could it be a case of it can just blow like a trip switch on the fuse box once you insert it and play something and also I take it the volume load used would be irrelevant here and just playing something through it no matter what volume would cause the shorting?

I must admit I have one of these adaptors a little while now and only used a few times and nothing untowards has happened (yet) hence I ask is it one of those things that would gradually degrade the amp board over time until it gives out or should happen from the word go plugging it in as in my case not happened (as of yet!)

It's just crazy to think if this is the case there are people making the adaptors for this config if it can damage (short the circuits). Is this what happens when the Chinese make something to go with something designed by the Japanese!?
...if it is the case the adaptor is a health risk to the Sony.

This is more likely the case, because the output signals won’t be strong enough to damage things like a fuse blowing. But you will slowly be killing your buffers and related components.

Balanced out has 4 separated active signals, and the Negative of L- is separated from Negative of R- . These are Negatives active Signals and not common ground like Single Ended. Therefore. You will damage it.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #22,032 of 45,723
This is more likely the case, because the output signals won’t be strong enough to damage things like a fuse blowing. But you will slowly be killing your buffers and related components.

Balanced out has 4 separated active signals, and the Negative of L- is separated from Negative of R- . These are Negatives active Signals and not common ground like Single Ended. Therefore. You will damage it.
That is why the WM1 series have this relay that goes on and off when you plug/unplug the 4.4mm headphones so to disable the Active control GND balanced circuit from the SE circuits and i think this is the reason on why you cannot play the two outputs at the same time

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #22,034 of 45,723
Ima beginning to understand, so 3.5mm SE "minuses" (L-, R-) are just plain earth-Grounded paths, and Active ground "minuses" are lie Alternating current found in our houses/offices that the power plant ot the distribution to our home/office and we connect a device f.e a Lamp, the current flows thru the bulb and goes back to the power station via the return signal path forming a "loop". same applies to direct current circuits.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #22,035 of 45,723

I was afraid I was reading it correctly but wanted to be in denial! Thanks for confirming that query, I'd rather play safe than find out a few months down the line it starts to play up because I a have burnt out the buffers etc inside.

Anyone want to buy a 3.5se to 4.4 male adaptor?! :grimacing::laughing:

Cheers Whitgir:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back