SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #18,616 of 45,723

Got this as a gift,.. are there any differences with the Kimber Kable version ones?

That's a pretty decent cable , if your going to upgrade to 4.4 I would skip the Kimber ( I know it's got fans on here) and the sound is good but for the price the build quality when taken apart is shocking dry flux, loose strands and dry looking solder, I'd expect more from a premium product. Make one yourself or buy a decent 3rd party one either new or used. There are plenty of us on here that will go with that option.

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #18,620 of 45,723
Can you tell me if it sounds good? plenty of bass out of that combo?, also you have zs5?, Ty Isalen and gerelemx1986 for your quick replies
I am using this zs6 with balanced cable, make sure that if you want to go balance. Have a balance cable not adaptor from 3.5mm deafult wire by kz to 4.4mm, it will short. In regards with the sounds, yes it is sound good and bass is plenty but not in the same level as it03 or xba-a3. Problem with zs6 is it has piercing high. I have zs5 too but not yet test with 1a and still with se cable. The high on zs5 is not piercing compare to zs6. At home or office, I usually use my it03 or xba-a3 for critical listening.

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #18,621 of 45,723
Now I've reached 384 hours (SE and balanced) on my ZX300 I'm very impressed with the sound, would the WM1Z be a significant step up?

Also does the WM1Z get very warm, like other totl daps? Is the playing time comparable to the ZX?

I've read many pages on this thread but there are a lot!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #18,622 of 45,723
Also does the WM1Z get very warm, like other totl daps? Is the playing time comparable to the ZX?

No, the WM1Z doesn't get warm - it's completely cool like the ZX300.

Play time the WM1Z is listed to be slightly longer due to the slightly bigger battery, but in general it's fair to say roughly comparable.

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #18,623 of 45,723
I wish I never used those software, they both decided to tag my music files despite me not wanting auto tag. Good think I had my clone.
Thats why i set my files as read only

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #18,624 of 45,723
No, the WM1Z doesn't get warm - it's completely cool like the ZX300.

Play time the WM1Z is listed to be slightly longer due to the slightly bigger battery, but in general it's fair to say roughly comparable.

I notice you own both nana, if I hooked up the same iem to each, what differences would be immediately noticeable? Is the WM1Z leagues ahead, or are the differences subtle. Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #18,625 of 45,723
I notice you own both nana, if I hooked up the same iem to each, what differences would be immediately noticeable? Is the WM1Z leagues ahead, or are the differences subtle. Thank you.

Let's just say that in a sighted test I'll be pretty confident in picking out all the difference, but I wouldn't be as confident in a blind test. :wink:
I'd urge you to try them out for yourself, it's the only way to know.

Feb 24, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #18,628 of 45,723
Quick question for users of the NW-WM1A. Can the unit select/play random albums from a playlist? This is my preferred way to listen - something my iPod Classic can do - but not my NW-ZX1. Thanks!
Can you explain this better? Are you saying on the iPod you can have a playlist that just contains album names? If that is what you are looking for then no and I'm not aware of any player that does that. What you can do on the Sony is add an album to a playlist and it adds all tracks on that album to the playlist. I just tried it and added 3 albums to a new playlist on the player and the playlist contained all the tracks from those albums. The ability to turn random/shuffle play on is very easy on the Sony and done from the playback screen.

I find that the UI on the Sony is one of the best I've see for a portable player, very easy to navigate and you can quickly get to any setting or browse your media.

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #18,629 of 45,723
I am using this zs6 with balanced cable, make sure that if you want to go balance. Have a balance cable not adaptor from 3.5mm deafult wire by kz to 4.4mm, it will short. In regards with the sounds, yes it is sound good and bass is plenty but not in the same level as it03 or xba-a3. Problem with zs6 is it has piercing high. I have zs5 too but not yet test with 1a and still with se cable. The high on zs5 is not piercing compare to zs6. At home or office, I usually use my it03 or xba-a3 for critical listening.
Where did you purchase that cable ali? do you have a link of the cable? thank you...

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #18,630 of 45,723
Can you explain this better? Are you saying on the iPod you can have a playlist that just contains album names? If that is what you are looking for then no and I'm not aware of any player that does that. What you can do on the Sony is add an album to a playlist and it adds all tracks on that album to the playlist. I just tried it and added 3 albums to a new playlist on the player and the playlist contained all the tracks from those albums. The ability to turn random/shuffle play on is very easy on the Sony and done from the playback screen.

I find that the UI on the Sony is one of the best I've see for a portable player, very easy to navigate and you can quickly get to any setting or browse your media.

Yes... the playlist would contain all the album tracks. In the playlist you created with 3 albums, are you able to play full albums randomly? Once one album is complete, does it randomly select the next album? I am not interested in playing random tracks. I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back