SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #17,941 of 45,723
The sound of the castagnettes Holy moly! DSD 2.8MHz,

DSC03131.JPG

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #17,945 of 45,723
Jan 12, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #17,946 of 45,723
The Sony original balanced cables that shipped with the Z5 have 2 separate (3.5mm?) L & R jacks whereas the Kimber has one 4.4mm jack. How is it possible to say that one is better than the other unless using a balanced amplifier like PHA-3.
Straight through the WM-1A the 4.4mm can be tested but not the original balanced cable supplied by Sony.

My guess is he was referring to the Sony MUC-M12NB1 as 'regular cable', not the stock balanced cable that comes with the Z5.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #17,947 of 45,723
My guess is he was referring to the Sony MUC-M12NB1 as 'regular cable', not the stock balanced cable that comes with the Z5.
No. He specifically mentioned dual 3.5mm, so balanced stock cables which goes with PHA-3 and the likes

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #17,948 of 45,723
Did the experiments and WM1A and 1Z don't support Folder.jpg nor Cover.jpg (files with no cover embedded), therefore the covers must be present in every file as embedded option. My older NWZ-A818 did this, it supported external covers

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #17,949 of 45,723
Others have the same experience that the Sony Kimber balanced cable sounds a bit dull?

Also wasn't impressed by the build quality of the Sony Kimber Cable especially the connectors.

I just ordered the 'regular' MUC-M12NB1 in addition to use with my 1Z just to see how I like the difference between both cables.

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #17,951 of 45,723
Others have the same experience that the Sony Kimber balanced cable sounds a bit dull?

Also wasn't impressed by the build quality of the Sony Kimber Cable especially the connectors.

I just ordered the 'regular' MUC-M12NB1 in addition to use with my 1Z just to see how I like the difference between both cables.
I find the kimber cable dull and not worth the purchase. However Sonys own cable is rather good, but bit stiff. MUC-M12NB1 gets my vote.

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #17,952 of 45,723

Initially I was excited to see these Kimbers for the Sony range but after the mmcx connectors became loose on them I decided to re terminate and check out the build quality overall by opening the splitter up to check the solder joints etc not good really loose strands, solder balls and flux residue not what you'd expect from a "premium cable" but in saying that once it was cleaned up and re soldered with silver solder and a pair of eidolic premium connectors and a 100 hour burn in it wasn't that bad a cable for the price, but there are plenty of other custom built cables around that price point to consider so don't buy in haste and repent at leisure as they say. In saying that I sold my kimbers and bought a plussound tri metal from a fellow headfier and re terminated it with a furutech 4.4mm and the eidolics and it leaves the kimber for dead soundwise.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #17,954 of 45,723
Initially I was excited to see these Kimbers for the Sony range but after the mmcx connectors became loose on them I decided to re terminate and check out the build quality overall by opening the splitter up to check the solder joints etc not good really loose strands, solder balls and flux residue not what you'd expect from a "premium cable" but in saying that once it was cleaned up and re soldered with silver solder and a pair of eidolic premium connectors and a 100 hour burn in it wasn't that bad a cable for the price, but there are plenty of other custom built cables around that price point to consider so don't buy in haste and repent at leisure as they say. In saying that I sold my kimbers and bought a plussound tri metal from a fellow headfier and re terminated it with a furutech 4.4mm and the eidolics and it leaves the kimber for dead soundwise.

I have the limbers and they sound really good with my SE 846’s.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #17,955 of 45,723
How is everyone charging their device?

I currently have the charge up to 90% box checked.

Do you leave the device on between uses or is everyone powering on and off?

I know this sounds basic but really want to get as much life out of the battery as possible.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back