SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #15,196 of 45,723
Nice post. But - 700USD for mod, not knowing what it will be modded? Lot of money, warranty void - it would be nice to have more information, not only nice description of sound (subjective one, anyway). Some more details, please.
P.S.Strange, that this information was posted not here.

In HK, there is a shop which mod the dp-x1 series and then the wm1a wm1z. This mod is only 200usd with wire, shielding, capacitors, grounding changes. Check out Romi Audio on FB.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #15,197 of 45,723
I think the easy mod is to change the earphone jack four wire to different wires. This is like change of cable in IEM.

The second mod is shielding of electron radiation components (this is traditional mod on many amplifier/dac desktop type)

The most difficult mod is change of components such as capacitor/resistors as the wm1a wm1z use a sealed PCB process after all components are installed. That means you need to break this seal in order to reach the components. The seal is a wax type.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #15,198 of 45,723
I think the easy mod is to change the earphone jack four wire to different wires. This is like change of cable in IEM.

The second mod is shielding of electron radiation components (this is traditional mod on many amplifier/dac desktop type)

The most difficult mod is change of components such as capacitor/resistors as the wm1a wm1z use a sealed PCB process after all components are installed. That means you need to break this seal in order to reach the components. The seal is a wax type.

And that's all you need to do to the WM1Z IMO. Kimber Kable is great but there are better wire option out there. IMO, changing out components is unwarranted as it can put stress on those PCB boards. But yes, the WM1Z can actually get better.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #15,199 of 45,723
And that's all you need to do to the WM1Z IMO. Kimber Kable is great but there are better wire option out there. IMO, changing out components is unwarranted as it can put stress on those PCB boards. But yes, the WM1Z can actually get better.
Purk,

How is Utopia with WM1Z? Do you need to get amp or 1Z has enough juice to do Utopia justice? I was thinking of buying Utopia during Adorama Utopia sale at $2300 but not sure if 1Z has enough juice. And how do you get a 4.4 cable for Utopia, any good ones out there or Whitigirl, you can make one for me? Lol, I'll have to wait for another Utopia sale.

Also, did you play 1Z direct? I use equalizer, and since the modded 1Z has improved treble, eq can make the sounds better. If you do, can you tell me your eq info?

This is the eq that I used; I got this from King Rudi Facebook post.

0 / 1 / 0 / 3 / 2 / 5 / 4 / 6 / 5 / 7
31 / 62 / 125 / 250 / 500 / 1000 / 2000 / 4000 / 8000 / 16000

I found this eq reveals a lot of the vocal emotions; aka making the vocal more emotional. It's bright but because 1Z somehow rounded the treble sharp edges, its quite enjoyable.

I'm not really a treblehead, I prefer bass, but slowly turning to one because of 1Z good equalizer implementation & improved treble.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #15,200 of 45,723
Purk,

How is Utopia with WM1Z? Do you need to get amp or 1Z has enough juice to do Utopia justice? I was thinking of buying Utopia during Adorama Utopia sale at $2300 but not sure if 1Z has enough juice. @nd thing, how d oyou get a 4.4 cable for Utopia, any good ones out there or Whitigirl, you can make one for me? Lol, I'll have to wait for another Utopia sale.

Also, did you pay 1Z direct? I use equalizer, and since the modded 1Z has better treble, eq can make the sounds better. If you do, can you tell me your eq info?

0 1 0 3 2 5 4 6 5 7
31 62 125 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000 16000

I found this eq reveals a lot of the vocal emotions; aka making the vocal more emotional. It's bright but because 1Z somehow rounded the treble sharp edges, its quite enjoyable.

I'm not really a treblehead, I prefer bass, but slowly turning to one because of 1Z good equalizer implementation & improved treble.

So WM1Z have worse treble than WM1A? Because I find 1A's treble superb.

Come on guys, magic modes and ready EQ presets on 2,5k$ dap? Don't You think Sony would do that in the original project if it's so much better?

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #15,201 of 45,723
So WM1Z have worse treble than WM1A? Because I find 1A's treble superb.

Come on guys, magic modes and ready EQ presets on 2,5k$ dap? Don't You think Sony would do that in the original project if it's so much better?

Actually, regular 1Z has better treble than 1A, I have both. Modded 1Z has even better treble than regular 1Z, because replacing kimber cable with pure gold/silver Mundorf cable means removing greater part of warmth, leading to greater clarity and improved resolution.

Think of modded 1Z as supercharged 1A, with slight warmth to music, very musical & better dynamics and better treble. It's still analogue sound, but with very high clarity and resolution.

Nick said he prefer modded 1Z to AK Ultimate, which has neutral sound. Regular 1Z has lots of warmth, very analogue sounds, while AK sounds are thinner, but with extreme clarity & resolution. Modded 1Z is somewhere in between, keeping much of analogue feel, with less warmth, but greater clarity, resolution & better treble.

Now, I I wonder where modded 1Z sounds quality stands compared to AK SP1000?

Oct 20, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #15,202 of 45,723
Purk,

How is Utopia with WM1Z? Do you need to get amp or 1Z has enough juice to do Utopia justice? I was thinking of buying Utopia during Adorama Utopia sale at $2300 but not sure if 1Z has enough juice. And how do you get a 4.4 cable for Utopia, any good ones out there or Whitigirl, you can make one for me? Lol, I'll have to wait for another Utopia sale.

Also, did you play 1Z direct? I use equalizer, and since the modded 1Z has improved treble, eq can make the sounds better. If you do, can you tell me your eq info?

0 / 1 / 0 / 3 / 2 / 5 / 4 / 6 / 5 / 7
31 / 62 / 125 / 250 / 500 / 1000 / 2000 / 4000 / 8000 / 16000

Given the Utopia's efficiency and slightly brighter tonal balanced, it is a great match with the 1Z. A headphones that is already too warm will likely be a little too much with the 1Z. You can EQ all you want but it will not effect the size of soundstage as well as inner details & resolution. I personally highly recommended the Utopia & 1Z combo. The Utopia of course will sound even better out of higher end desktop rigs out there. With that said, the 1Z + Utopia is a very musical combo and each component compliments each other very very well. I also reterminate my own Utopia's cable and the Effect Audio jack along with Pentaconn 4.4 mm are a great choice. I believe Furutech is coming out with their very own 4.4 mm jack very soon and likely the best sonic option. It will not be cheap however..

Actually, regular 1Z has better treble than 1A, I have both. Modded 1Z has even better treble than regular 1Z, because replacing kimber cable with pure gold/silver Mundorf cable means removing greater part of warmth, leading to greater clarity and improved resolution.

Think of modded 1Z as supercharged 1A, with slight warmth to music, very musical & better dynamics and better treble. It's still analogue sound, but with very high clarity and resolution.

Nick said he prefer modded 1Z to AK Ultimate, which has neutral sound. Regular 1Z has lots of warmth, very analogue sounds, while AK sounds are thinner, but with extreme clarity & resolution. Modded 1Z is somewhere in between, keeping much of analogue feel, with less warmth, but greater clarity, resolution & better treble.

Now, I I wonder where modded 1Z sounds quality stands compared to AK SP1000?

I have to agree with your statement. A simple rewiring and the 1Z can get even better. I also notice improved resolution but the most meaningful improvement for me is the width of soundstage and even more textured bass notes especially those lowest of the lows. Inner resolution and sense of clarity along with treble are also improved but to a smaller degree for me. Again, I was able to do a direct comparison and without relying on auditory memory. The great thing about the mod is that it is more of enhancement and does not change the overall tonal balanced of the 1Z for me.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #15,207 of 45,723
After having the 1Z and loving it, i move to sp1000cu and yes the cu version is the answer , it has a sound with almost the same organic feeling , but with better detail, i think that the ss version is thiner sounding, but i say again i love, LOVE the sound of the stock 1Z

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #15,208 of 45,723
After having the 1Z and loving it, i move to sp1000cu and yes the cu version is the answer , it has a sound with almost the same organic feeling , but with better detail, i think that the ss version is thiner sounding, but i say again i love, LOVE the sound of the stock 1Z

Interesting, I would like to try the SP1000 but now that 95% of my cables have a 4.4mm plug I'm not going to move back to the 2.5mm anymore.

I hope also AK will join the 4.4mm bandwagon.

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #15,209 of 45,723
Interesting, I would like to try the SP1000 but now that 95% of my cables have a 4.4mm plug I'm not going to move back to the 2.5mm anymore.

I hope also AK will join the 4.4mm bandwagon.

I smell that AK may release an amp module for SP1000 with both 4.4mm and 2.5mm in the future :) however way to dip in your pocket :D

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #15,210 of 45,723
I smell that AK may release an amp module for SP1000 with both 4.4mm and 2.5mm in the future :) however way to dip in your pocket :D

Great news I was trying to save for the Tia Fourte and and now you tell me that????

joking aside it would be great if AK will release an amp with 4.4mm as ibasso should do with his dx200, I hope everybody else we'll follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back