SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 30, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #4,682 of 16,368
Are you able to adjust the volume output??
1Z is like music server now, you can only adjust volume on your dac/amp. In this case is my Hugo 2.

May 30, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #4,683 of 16,368
Wow! Just caught up with this thread, a lot of posts for very few people having them in their hands :)

I can't ever see myself being in a position to buy a 1ZM2, but perhaps an 1AM2 at some point but it would have to be an uncapped version. I still have my 1A. I recently bought a Fiio M11 Plus for the steaming side (which I don't do much of) and use as a transport, with my 1A still being used for portable purposes. From what I can see the new models are a bit longer, but only slightly thicker. The 1A is already a bit thinks and difficult to fit in pockets (especially shirt pockets).

How do you carry your M2s around with you - or do you just plonk it on a desk / keep in your hand?

Do you think it would be worth selling my 1A and Fiio to fund the new 1AM2? Is the step up in quality significant?
I used to have the M11 Plus. The M2 is slightly taller and wider however, the ergonomics are way way better! The M11+ has some sharp edges and is designed like a brick. The M2 will definitely not fit in a shirt pocket but itll fit perfectly in trouser pockets

Quality wise I’d go with the M2 over the M11+ simply because the battery life in my use case is 3x better and the Sony sounds more musical than the FiiO‘s flat signature.

May 30, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #4,684 of 16,368
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but can someone explain this diagram I found? What happens to 24bit/192kHz signal path when streaming or using other than Walkman apps? Is Android SRC being bypassed, or does it get down-sampled by Android OS and then up-sampled to 192kHz? Bit-perfect playback implies that nothing should be down/up-sampled, but it is not clear from this diagram.

Anybody has more info?

sony_SRC_bypass.jpg

May 30, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #4,685 of 16,368
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but can someone explain this diagram I found? What happens to 24bit/192kHz signal path when streaming or using other than Walkman apps? Is Android SRC being bypassed, or does it get down-sampled by Android OS and then up-sampled to 192kHz? Bit-perfect playback implies that nothing should be down/up-sampled, but it is not clear from this diagram.

Anybody has more info?

sony_SRC_bypass.jpg
Can't say for sure but it doesn't look like there's any SRC bypass happening. Bitperfect only seems possible with the Sony Music player. Sony would have to build their own SRC bypass tech for Android, and I don't believe they have. That said, as long as a music player app has its own driver, it could potentially bypass SRC on the M2 players. UAPP is a good example.

May 30, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #4,686 of 16,368
Can't say for sure but it doesn't look like there's any SRC bypass happening. Bitperfect only seems possible with the Sony Music player. Sony would have to build their own SRC bypass tech for Android, and I don't believe they have. That said, as long as a music player app has its own driver, it could potentially bypass SRC on the M2 players. UAPP is a good example.

And UAPP. Only true Bit-perfect with Walkman Music app and UAPP with its own audio driver hooking into the Red path.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #4,688 of 16,368

It's all speculation, I guess. Obviously, Android can't pass 192k, it will be down sampled, yet it says that you will get a bit perfect with Amazon HD, 192kHz. The 48k/192k selectable is your hi-res streaming switch. Then, should we assume that it will be up sampled back to 192k? My point, you can't call it bit perfect if you are down/up-sampling it.

Also, based on what I tried, UAPP doesn't do bit perfect streaming of Tidal on WM1ZM2, only up to 88.2kHz.

May 30, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #4,689 of 16,368
And UAPP. Only true Bit-perfect with Walkman Music app and UAPP with its own audio driver hooking into the Red path.
This is pretty much it!
It's all speculation, I guess. Obviously, Android can't pass 192k, it will be down sampled, yet it says that you will get a bit perfect with Amazon HD, 192kHz. The 48k/192k selectable is your hi-res streaming switch. Then, should we assume that it will be up sampled back to 192k? My point, you can't call it bit perfect if you are down/up-sampling it.

Also, based on what I tried, UAPP doesn't do bit perfect streaming of Tidal on WM1ZM2, only up to 88.2kHz.
The Android will not implementing it own SRC alone, but it is also Sony and their Audio configuration policy XML. This is similar to the firmware tuning by XML in Walkman M1 (still when going over Android it does conversions as you mentioned)

Under this senses, the M2 must be the first Walkman line to really do what bit-perfect really meant to do. However, bit perfect is a very vague term, and Sony can also claim the XML configuration to also be bit-perfect lol. The M1 is considered bit perfect because it doesn’t have to go through additional stages of conversions….that is why it is a vague term

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #4,690 of 16,368

Yep, UAPP only 1 unfold for MQA.

May 30, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #4,691 of 16,368

From what I understand, Android 11+ supports two SRC resolutions: 48kHz and 192kHz. If you play files in either bitrate, they don't need to be resampled. All other files will get 'downsampled' to 44.1 or upsampled to 192, but in theory, 48 and 192 files are untouched. Hence Apple and Amazon 192 tracks playing as-is.

May 30, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #4,692 of 16,368
From what I understand, Android 11+ supports two SRC resolutions: 48kHz and 192kHz. If you play files in either bitrate, they don't need to be resampled. All other files will get 'downsampled' to 44.1 or upsampled to 192, but in theory, 48 and 192 files are untouched. Hence Apple and Amazon 192 tracks playing as-is.
Well said ***

What I don’t understand is how does Walkman app extend the playtime toward 35hours where as other apps is about 18 hours ….. but coincidentally…Walkman app with all DSP on will be around 18 hours as well ? Is that correct ?

May 30, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #4,693 of 16,368

Actually, other than on PC, Amazon Music still outputs from Apps at 192 irrespective of source bitrate for Android & IOS. I was surprised on the iPhone with Khadas Tea and Fiio BTR5 wired,

May 30, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #4,695 of 16,368
Well said ***

What I don’t understand is how does Walkman app extend the playtime toward 35hours where as other apps is about 18 hours ….. but coincidentally…Walkman app with all DSP on will be around 18 hours as well ? Is that correct ?

It was same on ZX507/A107. Its highly optimised and works direct with chipset so maybe not as much number crunching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back