Sony NW-HD5 Review (with pics)
May 26, 2005 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dj_daniel88

New Head-Fier
Well I finally received it from Japan, and so far I'm very pleased. I have only been using the unit for a week now, but I thought I might aswell post a 'mini review' while I have the time. Keep in mind this is my first review on anything, so don't expect too much! Also, a lot of this is based on my personal opinion.

The packaging is similar to the older HD series. I like the box it comes in, it looks classy. Apart from the front, all the writing on the box is in Japanese.

The HD5, with metal casing and plastic top. Build quality is top notch, as expected from Sony. As somebody has said on here before the only negative is the DC/USB cover which you will have to take care with. The HD5 does look a lot nicer in person than over the internet. Initially I didn't like the design until now, and the black just makes it look even more cool.

It is very small, especially compared to other 20GB players on the market. There is not much difference between this and the iPod mini, only a little wider in length. Sony have claimed 40hours battery life when using atrac at 64kbps, I don't know how accurate it is, but so far the battery life is excellent. I have been using 192kbps MP3s for three days, turning the unit on and off and playing a lot, the battery meter has hardly moved.

The HD5 has a standard mini USB connection and DC input. This makes it so much more convenient than having a dock or adapter (HD3). The HD5 charges via USB while connected to computer also.

The screen is a big improvement from the previous HD series. It is a lot bigger, and the backlight is brighter, making it easier to read. The screen can invert from positive to negative. It was set to negative out of the box, and it looks the best so I left it. The screen can be flipped around so you can use the unit horizontally, which I think is a gimmick. However some might appreciate it. Its supposed to have a follow-turn feature where the screen automaticly adjusts the right way depending on how you hold the unit. This doesn't work with my HD5... I don't know why. Doesn't bother me though.

Navigation is very simple... a lot easier than I expected. Its quite similar to the iPod. It has a shortcut to the menu button, once there you can browse from artists etc... Right acts as the 'enter' button on the HD5. Navigation is fairly fast, without any lagging. I have played with the iRiver H320, and scrolling through 20GB of music is so damn painful. It is rediculously slow. So when I first saw the HD5, I was worried how slow it would take to navigate through 20GB worth of music, however its not bad at all. It does not have a scroll wheel, just up and down buttons, however holding up and down is fast enough. When you hold down up or down it starts scrolling fast, and starts skipping letters. Not bad.

One of the things a lot of people complain about is SonicStage. I have to say SonicStage has improved a lot! Back in the day of netmd, yes SonicStage was a pain. It is still slow, however easier to use. I have had no problems with it crashing or any glitches. Its not the greatest peice of software, but its getting better. I am using it for my music management program now that I have the HD5. The current SonicStage (3.1) is definately not as bad as they say... Don't let this scare you away from buying the HD5. English SonicStage had no problems running my Japanese HD5, which is fortunate. Transfers are fairly fast... It took me about 15 minutes to load 10gb worth of songs.

I got the HD5 to replace my iPod mini, for more storage space and sound quality. Before the iPod mini I used minidisc, which I had grown quite accustomed to. iPod has this very neutral sound... with next to no bass. The HD5 on the other hand, has enough bass to satisfy most people. I am very pleased with the sound, its just like my old minidisc units. The HD5 has a 6-Band EQ, VPT Sound Engine, or 'Digital Sound Presets'. Unfortunatly only the Digital Sound Presets work with MP3. But the sound presets work very well. The bass has a lot more kick when using the digital sound presets... The EQ's can be adjusted without any distortion, unlike the iPod etc... The volume is fairly loud, not as loud as the iPod but almost there. There is enough volume to satisfy most people. I haven't found the need to have it on full volume.

Overall, I think the unit is excellent. I love the style, sound and build quality. Its a great alternative to the iPod. However I think Sony need to allow the other EQ's to work with MP3's, and make SonicStage more efficient.

May 26, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 10
Nice Review, thanks for the pictures. The reason why your HD5 doesnt do the auto screen rotate feature is because it only senses for its position once,when you start up the player. So if you want to use it horizontally, you have to start it up horizontally (likewise with verticle use). So when sony says that it automatically adjusts to how your holding it, they actually mean you have to manually switch it. Its not a big deal, its just annoying when companies claim a product will do something and it only does half of it. Sony has a bit of a rep for exagerating things like this so im not too surprised. Anyways, nice job, hope you have fun with your new gizmo.
280smile.gif

May 26, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 10
Hmm the looks are sligtly dodgy hehe, its nice but something bout it bothers me... it could be that its not photogenic...

Otherwise it seems like a good player, I want it, I can only imagine hwo small it is. How is the size compared to the HD3/1 ?

And how is the volume output? What level do you normally listen at with the PX200's?

May 26, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Cyclone, thanks for letting me know. I was thinking my unit was faulty...

sumguy, yer the photos don't really do it much justice. Initially I thought it was ugly also, but It's nice in person. The size is supposed to be slightly smaller than the HD1 and HD3, but only by a millimeter or something. All Sony's HD players are very small.

With the PX200 I have the volume set about 26/30. I like my music loud, and 26 is good for me. At full volume it gets uncomfortable pretty quickly... you wouldn't go over 30 with the PX200.

I want to invest in a pair of HD212's. I've hard them in the shops and I reckon they sound great, I just don't know if my HD5 will drive them.

May 26, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 10
They should drive them just fine; I have the 497 which is actually a little harder to drive, and I mean that as in it is less sensitive so it is quiter, and the ipod does fine, i listen at like 60-70% in the bar. 75% is half volume for the iPod btw, as the volume control isnt linear.

Why dont you bring your player to the store, at this one store they allow you to test the eadphones with your own hear. I tested the 212pro with a Sony n707 minidisc whcih is relatively weak in volume output and it was fine.

May 26, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
The reason why your HD5 doesnt do the auto screen rotate feature is because it only senses for its position once,when you start up the player. So if you want to use it horizontally, you have to start it up horizontally (likewise with verticle use)

oh

May 26, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
its just annoying when companies claim a product will do something and it only does half of it. Sony has a bit of a rep for exagerating things like this so im not too surprised.

Yeah, like when they claimed 'various backlight colours' with the HD3, leading you to believe you could change the colour...

Nice review btw, i wish Sony wouldnt release a new HD player so damn much, im jealous now because i only got a HD3 5 months ago
frown.gif

May 27, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 10
DJ_Daniel88, Good Review, Thanks!

Does the NW-HD5 support any type of playlisting (playlists on the fly, or playback of *.M3U files?)

Also is there some way to set in the options for the NW-HD5 to output the audio through the headphone jack as a true line-out?

Compared to your Mini, does the NW-HD5 sound warmer or muddier, with
the more powerful bass boost features?

Sound good that you report that SonicStage is not all that bad.

Thanks!

May 27, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
DJ_Daniel88, Good Review, Thanks!

Does the NW-HD5 support any type of playlisting (playlists on the fly, or playback of *.M3U files?)

Also is there some way to set in the options for the NW-HD5 to output the audio through the headphone jack as a true line-out?

Compared to your Mini, does the NW-HD5 sound warmer or muddier, with
the more powerful bass boost features?

Sound good that you report that SonicStage is not all that bad.

Thanks!

The HD5 does support playlists, I don't think its .M3U files though. You set them up through sonicstage, fairly quick and easy but not as efficient as iTunes (although no other programs are). You can select line out in the options menu, but I'm not sure what you mean by true line out.

Compared to the mini, it definately does not sound muddier. Just warmer. I really enjoy listening to the HD5, it sounds so much more fun and lively compared to the flat sound of iPod.

And Beethovenian: You can fast forward through a track while on pause. Its very quick. I think the stop button is good to have. Its easier to have a button to stop and turn off the unit, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back