Sony NW-HD3
Dec 4, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #91 of 122
hey in case no-one else has noticed,

the nw-hd3 is available for sale/pre-order for £250, I assume if y wait a short while it will deffinately sell from amazon or other places for £200 or lower as the nw-hd1 is available for this prce and this is supposed to be cheaper. Plus amazon always sells sony stuff for at least £100 cheaper than sony!

Dec 5, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #92 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddycha
hey in case no-one else has noticed,

the nw-hd3 is available for sale/pre-order for £250, I assume if y wait a short while it will deffinately sell from amazon or other places for £200 or lower as the nw-hd1 is available for this prce and this is supposed to be cheaper. Plus amazon always sells sony stuff for at least £100 cheaper than sony!

Weird - in Japan, Amazon is selling the HD3 for quite a bit more than Sony (about 20% more!!) ...
confused.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:58 AM Post #93 of 122
Can anyone tell me if on-the-go playlist creation is as bad on the nwdh3 as it is on the nwdh1? The bookmark feature on the latter sounds like a terribly unintuitive way to make playlists.

Also, how does playing mp3 instead of atrac affect the battery life? Using blind testing, what format sounds better at similar bitrates on the player?

Dec 7, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #94 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by adi123
Can anyone tell me if on-the-go playlist creation is as bad on the nwdh3 as it is on the nwdh1? The bookmark feature on the latter sounds like a terribly unintuitive way to make playlists.

Also, how does playing mp3 instead of atrac affect the battery life? Using blind testing, what format sounds better at similar bitrates on the player?

Don't know about the other points, but playing mp3 will reduce battery life, 30hours (max) will come down to 22 i think.

Dec 9, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #96 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by oreo
Hi I'm new here and I was just wondering if the HD1 has the same ugly plastic sides?

From what I can tell from this side it seems like only one of the side is plastic?
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...702/dev075.htm

I have seen the HD1 in person and both sides seems to be plastic BUT they're color matched to the metal body with metallic paint where the HD3 is just bare plastic as it appears in the pic. That is why I think the HD3 missed the mark on the asethic appeals for me.

Dec 9, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #98 of 122
Quote:

If I would get one of these players (NW-HDx) from Japan would the software work on a european pc?

It should - I'm using Windows XP Professional, OEM - US version - and I don't have problems with any of the gear I buy locally ...

Anyway, in exactly 24 hours (±5 minutes) I'll be walking out of the store with my new NW-HD3 - I'll post here sometime tomorrow night with a review / first impressions thread ...
wink.gif

I'm so excited!
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 11:45 AM Post #99 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
It should - I'm using Windows XP Professional, OEM - US version - and I don't have problems with any of the gear I buy locally ...

Ok, sounds great but will it be just in Japanese or in English as well?

Quote:

Anyway, in exactly 24 hours (±5 minutes) I'll be walking out of the store with my new NW-HD3 - I'll post here sometime tomorrow night with a review / first impressions thread ...
wink.gif

I'm so excited!
biggrin.gif

Nice! Take lots of photos of it!
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #100 of 122
cool, a review commin'
wink.gif

about the weight, I can say, the nw-hd1/2 is made of magnesium, but the nw-hd3 is made of Aluminium, so I guess thats why 20g more....

don't you think the black one's the nicest ?
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #101 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by sekigahara
cool, a review commin'
wink.gif

about the weight, I can say, the nw-hd1/2 is made of magnesium, but the nw-hd3 is made of Aluminium, so I guess thats why 20g more....

don't you think the black one's the nicest ?
wink.gif

The black one looks cool, but I'm all about the silver ...
wink.gif

Quote:

Ok, sounds great but will it be just in Japanese or in English as well?

Nice! Take lots of photos of it!
wink.gif

Well, every other Sony device (A/V gear, Cybershot, cell phone) that I've purchased here in Tokyo has had both Japanese and English menus ... I'm not terribly concerned about the HD3, as I'm sure it too will be bilingual. And yes, I'll post some pics - packaging, unit/accessories, display, etc ...
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #102 of 122
ok guys, I've got it here next to me, I'm charging it a bit while I install SonicStage 2.3 ... I'll post back in a while with a detailed review ... But first impressions are, this thing is pretty cool!
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #103 of 122
Well, that was fun.

It seems that SonicStage 2.3 will only install on Japanese Windows ... The unit itself can switch between several languages (including English, of course) but the software will only install on Japanese OS. What.

I even tried copying the CD to my HDD and changing a line in one of the .inf's to include English OS support, doing this I was able to at least begin the installation process, but it stopped as soon as I actually tried to install.

It looks like I'm going to have to install on my wife's laptop, copy my music library over to my external drive, and then kind of guess my way through SonicStage (in Japanese) to get my music on this thing. What a pain in the ass.

Dec 10, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #104 of 122
Quote:

It seems that SonicStage 2.3 will only install on Japanese Windows ...

Take a look at the Hi-MD forum at www.minidisc.org where I remember reading yesterday about an English version of the SS 2.3 software.

This is where it should be: http://www.planetmg.com/NewProd/sony...onicStage.html and they tell it's an official Sony website despite the name.

Dec 10, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #105 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
Take a look at the Hi-MD forum at www.minidisc.org where I remember reading yesterday about an English version of the SS 2.3 software.

This is where it should be: http://www.planetmg.com/NewProd/sony...onicStage.html and they tell it's an official Sony website despite the name.

Thanks for the links, I greatly appreciate it.

I'm running the 2.3 installer right now, but it's taking FOREVER to download the neccessary files - it's at about 10% right now, and it has been downloading for about 10 minutes already (I've got a 30Mbps internet connection, btw) ... argh.

In the meantime, I've installed from the CD on my wife's laptop (Japanese WinXP) and after scanning my 10GB music library for about 15-20 minutes, I finally got into the program. I selected the entire library in SS and clicked the transfer button. Apparently it's wrapping the files now, preparing for transfer, who knows how long that'll take. I'm telling you, this player better wake me up tomorrow morning with a freshly brewed pot of coffee and a stack of pancakes, for all the trouble this stupid Sony software is proving to be - it better be worth it. lol ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back