Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Mar 5, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #616 of 860
Few more pics I just took.

hd3_04.jpg

hd3_05.jpg

hd3_06.jpg

hd3_07.jpg

hd3_08.jpg

sorry about the quality of pics next "upgrade" will be my digi cam.

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #617 of 860
Zuerst- If you like that case just cut off the stitches like combustion did and buy a 2 dollar PDA screen protector and cut it to fit. I know i dont like having those big thick plastic screens that are built into the case cause they reflect so much light unlike the PDA protector screens.

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #618 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topsy-Turvy
OK thanks. I know it was a silly question now, but this Unit Shuffle thing had me confused. The HD1 also show XXX/999 on my play screen even though I have 1500+ tracks on it. But I did what you said and advanced tracks a few times and then it changed to XXX/550 so it must be moving on to the next group and throwing them into the shuffle. Thus it is shuffling everything. I guess the 999 group limit is the confusion.

I did a google search before I posted and found this quote by some guy who reviewed the HD1 on amazon.com and it scared me so I registered to ask:

"Second, some reviewers have disputed my claim that the unit cannot shuffle the entire HD. My claim is true, it has been substantiated by a senior marketing representative from Sony with whom I have exchanged several letters and phone calls. Yes, you can shuffle within albums (or "groups"), and you can shuffle within artists and playlists. But you CANNOT shuffle through the entire HD as a whole. The only way this would be possible would be to designate the entire library as a single playlist, and playlists are currently limited to 1000 tracks. So if you have 3,000 tracks on the player, there is absolutely, positively no way to shuffle those 3,000 tracks -- only subsets of those tracks (e.g., album, group, etc.) I suppose you could spend several extra hours of your life creating complicated playlists and shuffle between those playlists. But on an Ipod (and, incidentally, almost every other MP3 player on the market), you simply hit a menu entry titled "shuffle."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...96110?v=glance

He must be wrong. Thank-you for the reply!

He's definitely wrong. The difficult thing to grasp is the concept of unit. For shuffling purposes, a unit is the "folder" you're "in", not the folder you see listed. When you select track shuffle, it will shuffle everything in the unit you're in. If you're at the top of the hierarchy, looking at the list of albums, artists or groups, the unit is the whole player. If you enter an artist's "folder", looking at the list of his/her albums, the unit will be that artist and only tracks inside this artist's albums will be shuffled and so on.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #619 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beethovenian
He's definitely wrong. The difficult thing to grasp is the concept of unit. For shuffling purposes, a unit is the "folder" you're "in", not the folder you see listed. When you select track shuffle, it will shuffle everything in the unit you're in. If you're at the top of the hierarchy, looking at the list of albums, artists or groups, the unit is the whole player. If you enter an artist's "folder", looking at the list of his/her albums, the unit will be that artist and only tracks inside this artist's albums will be shuffled and so on.

Thank-you so much for the reply Beethovenian. I've read the PDF manual and your description is much better than Sony's (they should have had you write it). I still am having a hard time understanding though why there is two sufflle settings in the "Play Mode" section. Why would you ever use "Unit SHUF"? What is the difference between it and "Track SHUF"? "Track SHUF" seems to do everything I want. Like if I go to "Artists" play mode and I'm at the top hierachy (looking at all the artists) and I hit the "play" button it shuffle plays all the artist's tracks because I hit "play" at the top of the "unit"?

If I do this same thing with "Unit SHUF" on... WAIT - OMG I get it! So "Unit SHUF" shuffles JUST the folders inside the "unit" I am in, but the tracks inside the folders of that "unit" still play in order? Is that right? So it will randomize the artists because they are the "folders" inside the "unit" I am in, but plays all the tracks for the artist it picks (in order) before it moves on and randomly picks another artist! THAT'S GREAT! I just figured it out now! Well, thanks so much for the help.

I returned my Zen Micro to pick up one of these HD1s and I must say, I really love it! Way to go Sony!

EDIT: Ok I think I got it figured out now. "Unit" is just another name for all the folders or groups below where you are. So "Unit SHUF" shuffles just the folders/groups below your location, but not the tracks inside those folders/groups.

"Track SHUF" does exactly the same thing, except it will also shuffle the tracks inside the folders/groups below the unit you are in.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #620 of 860
You've got it now, topsy. I think in most cases, Track Shuffle is what you want. I don't think I would ever use Unit Shuffle. Once you get the hang of it, the shuffle mode is one of the most powerful differences between the NW-HD 1/2/3 and other HDD players.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #621 of 860
Yes, it's just a little hard to understand at first, but with Beethovenian's explanation I got it now. Thanks! I originally thought "unit SHUF" meant shuffle all the tracks on the unit (the whole HD1's harddrive), so I was having a terrible time because it just kept playing all the tracks in the group I would choose in order! Now that I understand "unit" itmakes so much more sense.

My husband will think I'm a genious now! Thanks guys!

Mar 7, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #623 of 860
Thanks for the great thread... it's been very helpful.

I have a couple of questions:

Does anyone have experience with how SonicStage/the player treats VBR mp3's?... Most of my collection is high quality VBR, and it'd be a shame to have SS and/or the player reduce it.

EDIT: Just RTFM'd... CBR/VBR is supported...

Is there something that i could get to get the player to use normal batteries?... I go camping a lot for weeks at a time - with no power source to plug it into to recharge.

Thanks again!

Mike

Mar 7, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #624 of 860
Ok, I Just got around to install SonicStage 3.0...

What's supposed to be new in this? Looks awfully much alike the previous versions (crappy, slow, buggy, inconsistent, counter-intuitive).
frown.gif

ONE nice thing though (and very very nice even if its beyond me how they manage to now include that in previous versions) is that I can transfer the mp3s to my HD3 as whatever format I choose (ie. I can choose atrac3plus at 64kbps and it will be converted when copying). Ie. it seems to let me specify that I want it converted and then copied over (before I had to do that in a billion steps including deleting the mp3s etc).

ANOTHER nice thing is that the interface has slightly less wasted space... still twice as much wasted space as any other app on the face of earth, but better than 2.3 at least.

Other thing still seems as bad as before. I still can't change multiple id3 tags on files on the player in one go (have to change ONE by ONE like before.. riddicilous), etc.

Anything else new? Can we make playlists without copying all the songs several times now? (I've only installed the Japanese version so far and my kanji skills are rusty so I'vet yet to figure everything out.. got to install an English version later). Feels more than a 2.4 than a 3.0, and for most other softwares this wouldn't even qualify as 1.0.

.tmk

Mar 7, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #625 of 860
Hi. I don't know if this problem has been discussed in this thread already. I keep on having problems transferring my Sony Connect purchased music to my HD3. I have already authorized my computer and my device. All my songs which came from CDs transferred ok, but for the music I purchased from Sony Connect, I always receive this message:

Unable to transfer the following tracks using the original file format.

I don't know if my unit is defective or what, or did I just forget to adjust any settings?

Thanks in advance,

Rmdj

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #626 of 860
Having just bought a NW-HD3 I have a quick question about the SS program. Is there a way to make subfolders? I know I can create a group but is it possible to create a group within that group? The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to create a hiearchy like the following:

Metal
- Evergrey
---- The Dark Discovery
---- Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy
---- Etc.
- Iron Maiden
---- Piece of Mind
---- Live After Death
---- Etc.
Anime
- BGM
- Vocal

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I have a Japanese version and my Japanese reading comprehension is a bit rusty so any help would be highly appreciated.

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #627 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strahd
Having just bought a NW-HD3 I have a quick question about the SS program. Is there a way to make subfolders? I know I can create a group but is it possible to create a group within that group?

No

at least, not with my experience, and ive tried, i want to be able to do that too

Mar 8, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #628 of 860
The software that came with my HD3 only has two bit rate selections for Atrac3Plus: 64 or 256. There are other bit rates for previous Atrac schemes but do other versions of SonicStage have more bit rates for the 3Plus version? 64 just isn't cutting it for me and 256 just takes up too much space.

Mar 8, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #629 of 860
Sonic Stage 3.0 is definately better. It isnt great.. but it is definately better. I installed sonic stage 3.0, and to my surprise it already had allthe albums on my computer, listed! It definately didnt do this on 2.3, and i never told it to do it, they were just there, a nice surprise. Also, so far it hasnt crashed on me, which is nice. 2.3 crashed quite often. I guess everything just seems a bit more speedy and stable, which is also apreciated.

Damn rip times arent that fast. I mean they arent that bad, i am just complaining a bit too much. I find that it takes about 4 and a quarter minutes (actually 4:12 on the last cd that I ripped, ripping at 256 atracplus)

But 4 and a half minutes per cd, that is quite a bit of time!
tongue.gif

Havnt tested how long it takes to transfer encoded songs onto mp3 player, for i wont have it until tomorrow. Then come some pictures!! oohah

Mar 8, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #630 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by micknkeef
The software that came with my HD3 only has two bit rate selections for Atrac3Plus: 64 or 256. There are other bit rates for previous Atrac schemes but do other versions of SonicStage have more bit rates for the 3Plus version? 64 just isn't cutting it for me and 256 just takes up too much space.

There is the Atrac3 132kbps. BTW, since the HD3 can play mp3's just use LAME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back