Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Mar 2, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #586 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakeane
I ordered my HD3 (black @ £215 from Amazon) today after looking long and hard on the net for reviews and comments on it and other players. So thanks to all the people on here who've posted on the HD3, etc.

I do however have a question. The answer has probably been somewhere in the reams of info I've come across, but I'm not sure where. So I'll ask instead. I've downloaded SonicStage 2.3 to start transferring my CDs to my PC in advance of receiving the HD3. I'm thinking I'll encode the music as Atrac. But even having decided that, what bitrate should I use? I've seen lots of people debate the minutae of the various sounds one can hear, but I'm not so sure my ears will be as finely tuned as theirs, so I just want to know what bitrate is a decent minimum - my music is mixed but mainly rock/pop/dance.

I'm sure I'll have more questions - and comments - in the coming days and weeks, so you'll be hearing more from this newbie DAP owner!

Thanks all.

I prefer to convert my cds to 128kbps mp3s (using music match) but if I had to use atrac I'd convert at atrac3 132kbps... I'd say thats the atrac equivelant.

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #587 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmkinf
What's the problem? I'm not using a Japanese Windows, but my Japanese NW-HD3 works fine (I'm not buying songs from Connect/Mora though).

.tmk

Yeah, I found out that all you have to do is to delete the folder in which all the Japanese sample songs are to make it compatible.

Thanks anyways.

Great unit by the way. So, so sound quality though.

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #588 of 860
How does downloading songs from CONNECT work? I think I'll have some coupons that totals 180 song downloads from CONNECT... Says one downloads the OpenMG format? Isn't it Atrac3+? What's the quality of the downloaded songs and can one choose the bit rate one downloads at?

Thanks,

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #589 of 860
I still havent used my coupons yet...I only have 50 free downloads though...guess thats better then nothing!

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #590 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by combustion
I prefer to convert my cds to 128kbps mp3s (using music match) but if I had to use atrac I'd convert at atrac3 132kbps... I'd say thats the atrac equivelant.

MP3s 128kbps are very lossy....i tend to use 256kbps+ for MP3s...

for ATRAC3plus, 64 kbps translates to about 128-192kbps MP3 quality...
while ATRAC3plus 256kbps is virtually lossless to my ears...

Mar 2, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #591 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by combustion
Have you tried this yet? Its not working for me, when I hit bookmark while playing a track it says "NO TRACK".

yeah had it working mate, did not get any error, only thing that indicates it was successful is a small icon gets added to the track details display (looks strangely like a mobile phone!)

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #592 of 860
Zuerst,

the songs I downloaded from connect are in Atrac3 132. I think this is to ensure the broadest compatibility (such as Net MD). It is a good compromise and I suspect as good as itunes downloads. I got 100 free from using 10000 miles from my United Milage Plus (I fly a lot so I won't miss them. It's virtually like free music!)

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #593 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mica-AB
yeah had it working mate, did not get any error, only thing that indicates it was successful is a small icon gets added to the track details display (looks strangely like a mobile phone!)

How did you do it exactly? did you just select "Bookmark" while the track is playing?

Mar 2, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #596 of 860
Ok I have few questions:

1) When I transfered my music over using the Vaio Transport utility, the HD3 put the entire folder structure (basically) in groups. All it has done really is have all the album folders in groups. Is there a way to group all these folders into an "All Music" Style group, so it doesn't take up so much space on the screen.

2) You can imprort M3u files into sonic stage. I want to know a way I can transfer the M3U data as group, without retransferring the songs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S- Very good battery life, and navigation is not bad (Not great either). I am liking it so far, but I will like even more if I can get playlists working.

Mar 2, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #597 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythm&bass
you hold down up while the track is playing, down to take it off.

Figured it out, thought you had to be at the bookmark screen to bookmark tracks.. Now I'm using it 24/7. Thanks!

Mar 3, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #598 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
Yeah, I found out that all you have to do is to delete the folder in which all the Japanese sample songs are to make it compatible.

Weird. I didn't have to delete anything. It just worked.

.tmk

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #599 of 860
Is it possible to transfer files without the AC adaoter plugged in, or can you just charge via USB if you do that?

Also, what actual battery life you people getting with MP3's (around 192-320kbps) as it is meant to be a lot lower than atrac aparantly?

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #600 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushu
Is it possible to transfer files without the AC adaoter plugged in, or can you just charge via USB if you do that?

Also, what actual battery life you people getting with MP3's (around 192-320kbps) as it is meant to be a lot lower than atrac aparantly?

Yes, you connect the usb, then when it tells you to connect power, press either mode or menu (i forget), and it will work as normal

i think i get about 16 hours battery life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back