Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Feb 21, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #512 of 860
I just ordered a black hd-3 today. I should have it by the end of the week. It look so sweet and I am crossing my fingers on sonicstage 3.0. Lates.

Feb 21, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #513 of 860
ThinLizzy,
To move your music from one PC to another, you need to use the SS Backup program. Backup your database, then restore it to the new PC. The database can reside on both if you want after you do this. The HD3 can transfer files from up to 3 different PC's as long as they are all registered with connect.

Dikim,
The best type of shuffle play for your needs is "Track Shuffle". Unit Shuffle plays tracks within a unit, then shuffles the unit (read the manual for the definition of a unit). Track shuffle is more like what people expect shuffle play to be. What will be shuffled depends on your starting screen. If you select a single album on the player (so you can see all the tracks on it listed on the screen) it will shuffle only that album. If you are at the top menu, it will shuffle all tracks on the device. If you select Artist view, then select say "miles davis" it will shuffle all tracks by Miles Davis. It is really very powerful. Read the manual on this feature, it helps..

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #514 of 860
Thanks all! Long reading, but definately worth it!

Thanks to all your great information and tips, I have since gotten the works:
NW-HD1 (just sent to Texas for Firmware Upgrade)
Sony MDR-EX81SL Clip-on Earphones and Sony RM-MC12ELK Universal MD remote, both from AudioCubes.
Leather Case from Vaja.
Also today found a sweet deal on a Tivoli Radio One at Half.com for $50!!
Connecting that to the NW-HD1 via a Kimper Kable Mini to Mini PBJ cable.

I also just before this bought a pair of the Shure E3C's.

Whew! That was fun, now I'm broke and waiting for my HD1 to come back from Texas....
frown.gif

In the meantime, I was so inspired by Mavis and the wonderful folks who put in a lot of good input in these 26 pages, that I decided to post a Mac-centric review up over at MacNN Forums. I was wondering if I could change some of their minds to give up worshipping the iPod and trying out the Walkman.

LOL.

You should read the first reply.... I'm a Mac freak, but these new iPod freaks are even freakier....
wink.gif

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=246449

Btw, everyone keeps saying that they can only authorize 3 computers with SonicStage. I'm allowed to authorize 5 computers, is this only available in the US?

Best All, Echo

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #517 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dikim
Hi!

When you play a song and press mode, is there a way to get back to the "now playing" screen?

Dikim

Press and hold "Mode" button!

And Press and hold "Menu" to switch it off.

And of coz you press and hold volume to turns the volume up or down
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #518 of 860
Does anyone know if the AC/USB adapter supplied with the NW-HD2/HD3 will work with the older NW-HD1 so that the cradle isn't required to charge the player or transfer music? It'd be useful...

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #519 of 860
I was also wondering that.... I can test it once I get mineback from the service center in Texas. That may be awhile though as a Technician has been "working" on it all last week... lol

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #520 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by igarvey
Does anyone know if the AC/USB adapter supplied with the NW-HD2/HD3 will work with the older NW-HD1 so that the cradle isn't required to charge the player or transfer music? It'd be useful...

That should works. It's just the wiring in the HD1 cradle prevented the use of USB power supply for charging.

But I have a question, is there any where you can get the adapter only?? I wish if there's a way to get an additional one so it will save the hassle bringing the adapter with me all the time.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #521 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by cykalan
That should works. It's just the wiring in the HD1 cradle prevented the use of USB power supply for charging.

But I have a question, is there any where you can get the adapter only?? I wish if there's a way to get an additional one so it will save the hassle bringing the adapter with me all the time.
rolleyes.gif

http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web...archText=nwhd3

^ I'm assuming that this is the adapter that comes with the NW-HD3. It's really expensive for a simple adapter, and I really don't have any idea if it'd work with the NW-HD1.

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #522 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by igarvey
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web...archText=nwhd3

^ I'm assuming that this is the adapter that comes with the NW-HD3. It's really expensive for a simple adapter, and I really don't have any idea if it'd work with the NW-HD1.

Well, the name of that item reads "Overall ASSY, Adapter". I assume that is actually the adapter itself PLUS the AC Adapter, considering the fact that the price f AC Adapter is usually around the range of $40-$50. In that case $56 isn't too bad.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #524 of 860
I just got the NW-HD3 this weekend and can confirm the hiss that is mentioned in the first post. It's not terribly bad but it is definitely noticeable. It does not sound like a defect to me. If you get the volume up about 1/2 way, it drowns it out. It's a bummer but not enough for me to return it. SonicStage was a complete nightmare for me to set up and I still don't like it. Oh well, the size and sound quality more than make up for it. I've dealt with different ATRAC schemes for years with minidisc and I think it's great.

FYI: I had some severe problems loading SS onto 2000 but XP was just fine.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #525 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by micknkeef
I just got the NW-HD3 this weekend and can confirm the hiss that is mentioned in the first post. It's not terribly bad but it is definitely noticeable. It does not sound like a defect to me. If you get the volume up about 1/2 way, it drowns it out. It's a bummer but not enough for me to return it. SonicStage was a complete nightmare for me to set up and I still don't like it. Oh well, the size and sound quality more than make up for it. I've dealt with different ATRAC schemes for years with minidisc and I think it's great.

FYI: I had some severe problems loading SS onto 2000 but XP was just fine.

Well I just get mine yesterday.
etysmile.gif
Yes the hiss is there too but well most of the time I use this on the road not in a studio room so I don't really care about it.

Regarding music transfer, if you think Sonicstage is a nightmare, try download VAIO Music Transfer. It works like charm and it's just drag and drop. I mentioned it in another post you might want to check it out. G'nite guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back