Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Jan 10, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #226 of 860
Hello, I'm new to both this forum and MP3 type stuff. I was wondering if anyone can help me answer a couple of questions.

Is there a proper protective case available for the HD3, as I tend to put stuff in my brief case where it slides around bumping into each other when I'm not using them? The little slip case with the HD3 does not quite look up to that job.

I have a library on the PC using Sonic Stage v 2.0. If I install v2.3 over the top, will I have to reload the music library from CD?

Jan 10, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #227 of 860
HJDM:
I got my HD3 about a week ago - -
1. Yes, there's a case. I've seen some leather ones. I bought one from sonystyle. It was made for the HD1. It fits the HD3 too, but it overlaps the left side of the controls a little bit (but not so much that you can't use it.) it has an annoying beltclip though.
2. I don't know everybody elses experience, but I had trouble moving my existing sonicstage files. I had been using 2.0 and upgrading continuously. It recognizes 2.3 and 2.2. and maybe 2.1 files (maybe not - i don't remember when i burned them) but not 2.0 files. I had to rerip those. This may just be unique to me though, since at the same time I got the HD3, i moved my library to another hard drive and uninstalled/reinstalled sonicstage several times and have a japanese HD3 on an english OS.

Jan 10, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #228 of 860
Seroka2 - Try http://www1.vajacases.com/home_en.html - they are quite exclusive and expensive - with a huge range for the ipod. Unfortunately, they do not make a case for the HD3, yet. However, there is a case for the HD1 in their collection. I am pretty sure, that once the HD3 takes off 'properly' they will create a new product line - as they are all hand finished and custom made. Nevertheless, there is nothing stopping you from contacting them, and asking when...

As for me, I bought a iPod 3G 40GB last summer and sold it after a week - due to the poor battery life. I kept my trusty old MZ-R91 - for it's flexibility and long battery life in the gym. However, I recently gave in and bought the new iPod 4G 20GB - as a MD skips a lot, when you are on the treadmill! and the HD1 had no MP3 support at the time.

I covered the damn thing in iSkin eVo2 to prevent it from scratching - and invested in a pair of Shure E2c (which is one of the best decisions I have made) Now, I have been given the NW-HD3 Silver as a present by my brother last week. I have only had a quick look and feel - and put it back in the box, as I want the version in Black. However, the dealer has no stock until next week. But, once I get it - I will not be putting this beauty in a case!

I also received my brand new GRADO SR-60 from HeadRoom today (a big thanks to these guys - they provide a fantastic service) - which are being 'burnt-in' at present.

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #229 of 860
Hi - I'm new here and have recently got a HD3 as well.

In reply to Twizzle query about the remote I found this site when I was looking to buy one... http://www.bargaining4all.com/files/MZ-NH1.pdf

The page is a pdf of the manual for the NH1 minidisc player. The RM-MC40ELK remote comes as standard with that. It's pages 15 & 16.

I haven't used the new Hi-MD (or got a remote myself yet) so not sure how it compares, but may help at little..I hope it does.

In comment to 'that noise' I can also hear something when my unit is turned down really low. As a side note, I also checked my Sony NW-MS70, my flash atrac device and the same is happening on that, again if the music is very quiet.

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #230 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twizzle
Well, I received my RM-MC40ELK remote this morning. Strangely, although it was ordered from the US Audio Cubes site, it had shipped from Japan, and therefore has its instructions in Japanese on the back of the box.

Does anyone therefore know somewhere online that I can download any English instructions, or a scan of the English instructions from the box?

Failing that, anyone worked out exactly how to use the little 'jog wheel' on the remote? Not quite sure that I've worked everthing out just yet!

Also, any idea if I can have the remote backlight 'on' with the unit's backlight off (to save battery life)?

Andy

OK, Andy, let's try:
If you just scroll the jog wheel, it will send you back to your current track list. You can from there go back one level up in the hierarchy, to the album/artist/group list (depending where you are), by pressing back in the jog button, as you can get into an album by pressing forward. If you press the jog wheel while in the current playing screen, it will send you to the top of you current mode (either album, artist, group, genre or others). If you press and hold the jog wheel, it will cycle through the modes. Hope that helps.

EDIT: I don't know what you mean by having the option of backlight off on the player, on on the remote, because if you're using the remote, it will already work like that. Only the remote backlight will be activated, unless you also use the unit's buttons.

HJDM, you're supposed to be able to import 2.0 files. Maybe Seroka's problems derive from the change of computer and loss of authorizations, I don't know.

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #231 of 860
Hi all,
wondering if anyone can help me,
i went down to sony central today and had a look at the NW-HD1 and thought it was a great piece of sony equipment, it was extremely light and very stylish looking - quite impressed, im thinking of purchasing this type of network walkman. However, since i am in Australia, there has not yet been a NW-HD3 released - no one knows a sure date when it will be on the shelves here - which makes me wonder if i should wait for the NW-HD3 to be here (could be up to 6 months as a sony rep said). i very much like the NW-HD1 - nothing really turns me off the device besides the colour of the screen, thinking it might be a bit harder to read than the screen on the NW-HD3 (being a more attractive blue colour as well) - but i think i will get used to it. Although the main thing that will make me not wait until the NW-HD3 is released, is the way it looks in every photo i have seen (not being able to see it in person yet) it has been posted before that it looks a lot more 'plastic' that the NW-HD1, anyone have a good picture of a HD3 that may change my mind?

any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #233 of 860
Right, im new to the forums so be nice..... I've got a MuVo2 4gb and i've now run out of memory, and im thinking its time for an upgrade. Mavis's review put my off a little, but will somebody else whoose bought it just say if it's worth buying , and if the background "hiss" is actually a problem. Also is the nw-hd3 worth the money...muvos are selling for about £100 on ebay but i'd still have to pay.

If it isnt worth it, are there any other mp3 players you recommend? (e.g. not the ipod or iriver)
Thanks, Dom

Jan 11, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #234 of 860
The hd3 doesnt look at all plasticy. I also have the black one and its solidly built. I guess you saw the pics on page 1?

this:

hd3_5-800.jpg

makes it look a bit plasticy. But it doesnt look any thing like tbh. Not glittery like shown there

Jan 12, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #235 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by heminder
HD3 advantages over HD1
> looks cooler
> supplied with better headphones
> nice blue backlight
> bigger navigation "wheel"

If the HD3 headphones are better, what were they like before? The ones with my HD3 are shockingly bad. No bass at all.

Blue backlight? I'm sure mine's white. I'll have to check when I get home.

Jan 12, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #236 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalex
Blue backlight? I'm sure mine's white. I'll have to check when I get home.

its different for the different colours

My black one has a blue backlight and so does the red i think

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #238 of 860
Hello all,

I am new to these parts, and bought an NWHD3 on monday
smily_headphones1.gif
here is what mine looks like:-

wm.jpg

The sonic stage I have is fully English, and easy as pie to use, It takes less than a minute to transfer a hi-bit mp3 across to it, I have heard no hissing noises at all, either with my stock cans, or the sony 71SLs, even when put through my Pro-Ject Headbox (line out) and listened through my Sennheiser HD600s there is no hiss or any kind of ambient distortion.

The sound on line out is phenomenal, it sounds really nice and works well in that respect, infact it has a better output level than my audigy ex2, It gives a nice crisp clear sound (only on line out mode). The NWHD3 cannot power my HD600s obviously, so I have to run it through the headbox if I want any decent sound.

Overall the sound is amazing, when on the bus etc, the 71SLs give enough noise cut outs to make the music clear and audible even when its ambient low level stuff. There is no distortion at any end. This compared to the hollow and shallow ipod. I really can't sing enough praises of this machine, only snags so far, are they cheap ass case that comes with it, and the lack of a remote, both which I shall aquire in time.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #239 of 860
Jan 13, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #240 of 860
Hi, can anyone tell me if the hd3 produces any hissing when used with bang and olufsen A8 earphones? Also, does anyone know how the volume compares to the sony minidisc players? I currently use a sony mzn 910 minidisc at about half volume(15/30) and was wondering if the hd3 can reach this level. Thanks.
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back