Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Jan 3, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #196 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth11
Would I at least be able to transfer data files between them? I'm looking at this as both an MP3 player and a portable hard drive.

Yes, you can mount the NW-HD3 as a hard drive on multiple PC's.

Jan 5, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #197 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx89
yeah, Bangraman is correct about the playlist option as far as im aware. There is no direct playlist option, but you can drag files from your sonicstage library into groups, or it is easier to make the playlists in windows explorer and import that folder. When you then transfer the files, you press the mode button and a groups section will appear, showing the files as they appear in the library in sonicstage. As for transfering files between PC's, i havnt tried with mp3s, but it works with the portable HD option, using windows explorer.

Does this work the same as "groups" on a MD? ... Pretty cumbersome, if it is ...
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #198 of 860
Is anyone managing to get 20-odd hours out of this? I'm hoping the battery needs a few charges to reach it's maximum performance as I'm only getting 6 hours or so out of it at the moment (mainly using 128/192 MP3s with no equaliser on), although I am skipping tracks now and then and doing the occasional fast-forward.

In case anyone is after the remote (the lcd one) - I enquired at my local Sony Centre and they said they could get them £75 and it would take about 5 days.

Jan 5, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #199 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shattered
Is anyone managing to get 20-odd hours out of this? I'm hoping the battery needs a few charges to reach it's maximum performance as I'm only getting 6 hours or so out of it at the moment (mainly using 128/192 MP3s with no equaliser on), although I am skipping tracks now and then and doing the occasional fast-forward.

In case anyone is after the remote (the lcd one) - I enquired at my local Sony Centre and they said they could get them £75 and it would take about 5 days.

£75! Just take advantage of the favourable US exchange rate: I ordered mine from www.audiocubes.com in the US for just £49, and they're supposed to ship to the UK within a week. I remember being told by Sony in the UK years ago that a replacement remote for my Discman would be half the price of the actual player! Don't fork out £75 cor Chrissake - they only end up getting loose connections just like the headphones!

Andy

Rip off britain strikes yet again!

Jan 6, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #200 of 860
Thanks Andy - I wouldn't pay £75 for it but I know some people prefer to buy things from a shop rather than use the internet. They're down to £42 on eBay with shipping so I might get one today.

I wonder when Sony are going to update their support website with details of the NW-HD3? It's like it doesn't exist on there. No English manual for it, no support, no faq..

Jan 6, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #201 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shattered
Thanks Andy - I wouldn't pay £75 for it but I know some people prefer to buy things from a shop rather than use the internet. They're down to £42 on eBay with shipping so I might get one today.

I wonder when Sony are going to update their support website with details of the NW-HD3? It's like it doesn't exist on there. No English manual for it, no support, no faq..

Have you got a link to the remote for £42 on eBay?

Jan 6, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #202 of 860
I've sent you a PM - not sure about forum rules on linking to auctions.

So how many hours is everyone getting from the NW-HD3? Mines in need of charging again. I'm starting to think that it might be my fault. Here's my thinking.. If I listen to 5 secs of a track, then skip to the next one, I've been listening to the player for around 4 mins. But because it's had to read in the first track that I didn't want to listen to, have I reduced the battery life by 4 mins (or whatever amount it holds in memory)? If during my 6-7 hours of listening I've skipped 50 tracks, have I wasted 3-4 hours of battery? Not sure if I'm explaining this well..

It states that battery life is 30 hours for Atrac (64?) and I read that it's more like 22 hours for MP3 (dont know what kbps this is). What could I expect in battery from 128kbps MP3 and 192kbps MP3? Does anyone have any rough ideas?

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #203 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beethovenian
About play unit, the unit it plays is the unit inside which you are. So if you want to play only a certain album, you have to be viewing the list of tracks for it before pressing play. If you press when viewing the album name, it will interpret that the current play unit is the whole list of albums for the artist you're seeing. It may seem complicated at first, but when you master it, it gives you a lot of possibilities, especially if you're using shuffle (you can shuffle tracks or albums in the whole player, only for an artist, a group, a genre etc).

I am still having probelms with this. It seems to work onlh intermittently. Extremely annoyingly, the Play UNIT Icon continues to be displayed even when it is not active. Have you found this. I had the same probelm with the original NW HD1 which I bought as well as with the NWS HD3 with which I replaced it. It looks to me like a software fault in the system. Have you had this problem?

Jan 7, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #204 of 860
Hi. I'm new.
tongue.gif

I have a question I've been wanting to ask for a long time, and was hoping someone could help me as I'm thinking of getting a HD3. Sorry if it's been asked already, as I haven't read through the complete thread.. But is the HD3 able to display unicode characters? Particularly Chinese and Korean. A lot of my mp3s are in Chinese (big5) and Korean, and it'd definitely be nice if it were able to display them. If not, is there any way of making it possible?

Jan 7, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #205 of 860
Hey everyone!! I've lurking around here for ages trying to decide whether I was going to get the HD3 or not. Well, having had a bad experience with Sony (my D-EJ200 Discman) I didn't want Sony...but then I saw the HD1 in a journal..then on the net I saw the HD3 and after about a month, I ordered it.
So my question is about the remote, is there any other one that works aside the RM-MC40ELK? Because I find it kind of ugly...

Jan 8, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #208 of 860
I've been looking for an mp3 hard drive for ages. I've read loads of reviews about all the major players but ive ended up choosing the hd3. Sony just don't make rubbish. I need a player that will last and that has quality sound. I can't afford a new ipod battery every year and i dont trust the quality of the zen touch. The iriver has too many funtions like fm radio which id never use and it looks like a christmas tree. So, what i want to know is am i being foolish choosing the hd3? i Like the fact that it has g sensor protection, 30 hrs battery life and that excellent sony build quality. I'm not computer illiterate so im not too fussed if the software takes a bit of working out. Should i buy it? Thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #209 of 860
Hi all, i'm new to this forum and a proud owner of an HD3, which I got on ebay before the holidays (from Japan). I wanted to reply to Mavis who started this thread a while back. He made the following comment:

"...I guess what I'm getting at is that if you have anything other than a Japanese version of Windows, you will be unable to use an imported HD3 (for the time being, at least)...."

I haven't read all the replies in this thread and appolozie if this is already discussed, but I ran into the same problem when I connected my HD3 to my laptop, which is running XP Home(English) and has SS2.3 installed. After messing around a bit, I found that if you format the HD3 unit (there's an option to do this right on the unit by pressing "Menu", SS2.3 will recognize the HD3.

Cheers.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #210 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by medstu
Hi all, i'm new to this forum and a proud owner of an HD3, which I got on ebay before the holidays (from Japan). I wanted to reply to Mavis who started this thread a while back. He made the following comment:

"...I guess what I'm getting at is that if you have anything other than a Japanese version of Windows, you will be unable to use an imported HD3 (for the time being, at least)...."

I haven't read all the replies in this thread and appolozie if this is already discussed, but I ran into the same problem when I connected my HD3 to my laptop, which is running XP Home(English) and has SS2.3 installed. After messing around a bit, I found that if you format the HD3 unit (there's an option to do this right on the unit by pressing "Menu", SS2.3 will recognize the HD3.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply, welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet ...
wink.gif

Yeah, I understand now that I would've had to reformat the HD3 to get it to work, unfortunately in my haste to get the damn thing + the other problems I had, I didn't have a chance to try it. Oh well, I guess I know better than to rush out and buy stuff on the first day, next time ...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back