Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Dec 13, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #31 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by dthiep
When I first read the review, I was surprised by how good your english is.
english teacher ah?
tongue.gif

Thanks!
wink.gif

Yeah, I spend most of my teaching time at a Jr. High School, but my evening classes at Toshiba are probably what keeps me on my toes ... lol

Dec 13, 2004 at 10:15 AM Post #32 of 860
Hey Mavis! Thanks for the review... even though a slightly negative one, those pictures alone make me want to buy one for myself!

I wanna upgrade from an iPod mini, coz I miss the Sony sound (I used to own a minidisc N910). I remember being disappointed with the iPods sound at first, but I got used to it and dealt with it, then it didnt sound so bad lol. I havent heard a Sony in so long, I forget what it sounds like. I know it would be nice to have more bass again... a lil more kick lol...

Now for my question: How is the HD3's volume compared to the iPod? I have read that the HD1's is rather quiet compared to most other players. This is a bit of a turn off I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #37 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick3D
*waves at all the slashdotters*
580smile.gif

biggrin.gif

You know, everyone keeps saying that the software problems were my fault (ie, trying to use Japanese software on an English OS) but seriously, why would a company be so shortsighted as to include a single version of the software, when the unit itself supports quite a few languages, out of the box?

For example, I bought a Microsft Precision 2 joystick in an electronics store here, it worked fine on my computer (both Japanese and English on the install disc) ... My Intuos i-620 (model number IIRC) was bought locally, and worked just fine with my English OS ... I bought my 4G iPod here, and it worked just fine with an English OS as well. So, I really don't see why a company like Sony, who obviously has the resources and manpower to ensure compatibility across a wide variety of languages/OS's, has such a hard time supporting anything other than Japanese. And let's not forget, the English version of SonicStage 2.3 is available now, indeed - but it wasn't available when I bought the unit, and NO ONE at Sony Japan had any CLUE as to when it WOULD be available.

Besides, even with properly working software, ti doesn:t change the fact that it took 15 minutes of scanning my music directory followed by one and a half hours of transfer time, to actually get my music on the HD3. English version or not, that's absolutely pathetic.

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #38 of 860
Just copy the files over your HDD
I'm fairy familiar when it comes to the installer Sony use for thier SS
icon10.gif

Pretty sure you can remove the OS language restriction by simply editing the .ini
wink.gif

Edit: Looks like Sony don't want americans importing it before the US release...

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #39 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
After using MDs for the past five years or so, I finally decided to purchase a HDD MP3 player a few weeks ago.

Very informative review! I was a big fan of the metal-cased MD Players. How is the construction of the NW-HD3? Does it have a plastic face or that really nice titanium finish that their Network Walkman had?

Dec 14, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #40 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daijoubu
Just copy the files over your HDD
I'm fairy familiar when it comes to the installer Sony use for thier SS
icon10.gif

Pretty sure you can remove the OS language restriction by simply editing the .ini
wink.gif

Edit: Looks like Sony don't want americans importing it before the US release...

Actually, I tried that
wink.gif

Editing the necessary .inf allows the installer to be launched (it won't even open without editing the .inf first), but once you actually click on the option to install, the computer simply reboots.
rolleyes.gif

Later (once I installed the Asia-Pacific version of SS 2.3 in English) I tried to copy over and install the driver files from my wife's successful install, but that didn't work either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Very informative review! I was a big fan of the metal-cased MD Players. How is the construction of the NW-HD3? Does it have a plastic face or that really nice titanium finish that their Network Walkman had?

The body is made of metal, it was similar to the metal on my PEG-T665, although I'm not sure exactly what it is - I read elsewhere on the forums that it was aluminum, or it could be that kind-of magnesium alloy stuff ... Anyway, it was a pretty solid (ie, well put-together) device. The only thing(s) I disliked about the exterior of the unit was the tinted plastic over the LCD (I believe that's why it was so dim/hard to read) and the gray plastic top and bottom of the unit. Otherwise, I was impressed by the construction and build quality.

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #41 of 860
I bought one last Saturday, currently enjoying life as an exchange student in Hiroshima
icon10.gif

I did not notice any hiss whatsoever either. I used the included earphones, a pair of Victor "Be! Armless headphones" (terrible sound), and my beloved Sennheiser HD600. I also used the latter in an absolutely quiet environment (bed at night) with low volume, and it was just crystal clear. But I think it was already pointed that the review unit is defective.

Quote:

You know, everyone keeps saying that the software problems were my fault (ie, trying to use Japanese software on an English OS) but seriously, why would a company be so shortsighted as to include a single version of the software, when the unit itself supports quite a few languages, out of the box?

It is no problem to install the Japanese version of Sonicstage 2.3 on any language Windows. I installed it on my German Windows XP Pro. It's enough to select "Japanese" for the codepage for non-Unicode applications in the regional and language settings control panel. (or whatever it is called in the English version ^^; ) I did not encounter any problems using it.

Quote:

Besides, even with properly working software, ti doesn:t change the fact that it took 15 minutes of scanning my music directory followed by one and a half hours of transfer time, to actually get my music on the HD3. English version or not, that's absolutely pathetic.

That is a very interesting point. I transferred some 1500 songs at once to my HD3 two days ago, and it just took a couple of minutes. (maybe 10, maybe 15)
Scanning and importing takes awfully long though, 3.5 hours for ~25,000 files.

Maybe it would be helpful to add your machine specs. I'm using an IBM ThinkPad T42 with 1G of RAM and an 1.8GHz Pentium M. Also it would be interesting to know how long a transfer of a regular file (maybe 100MB) takes.

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #42 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by ikari_01
I bought one last Saturday, currently enjoying life as an exchange student in Hiroshima
icon10.gif

I did not notice any hiss whatsoever either. I used the included earphones, a pair of Victor "Be! Armless headphones" (terrible sound), and my beloved Sennheiser HD600. I also used the latter in an absolutely quiet environment (bed at night) with low volume, and it was just crystal clear. But I think it was already pointed that the review unit is defective.

I've yet to see another person try the HD3 with E5c's but it's looking more and more like I did indeed get a defective unit. Not too reassuring to have picked up a defective unit on the first day of launch, but I'll leave Sony's QA process to its own thread.
wink.gif

Quote:

It is no problem to install the Japanese version of Sonicstage 2.3 on any language Windows. I installed it on my German Windows XP Pro. It's enough to select "Japanese" for the codepage for non-Unicode applications in the regional and language settings control panel. (or whatever it is called in the English version ^^; ) I did not encounter any problems using it.

Thanks for the tip (good for future reference, at least) ... It would have been nice if anyone at Sony Japan would have been knowledgable enough to tell me this, as it's not something I've needed to do for any product in the past (therefore, something I didn't know about until now) ... Anyway, thanks again.

Of course, it would also be nice if version 2.3 of SonicStage supported the same models regardless of region, again it's not something I've ever had to worry about with any of the other devices I've bought in my two and a half years in this country.

Quote:

That is a very interesting point. I transferred some 1500 songs at once to my HD3 two days ago, and it just took a couple of minutes. (maybe 10, maybe 15)
Scanning and importing takes awfully long though, 3.5 hours for ~25,000 files.

Odd, in my case it was reversed (15-20 minutes to scan/import, and 1.5 hours to transfer) ...

Quote:

Maybe it would be helpful to add your machine specs. I'm using an IBM ThinkPad T42 with 1G of RAM and an 1.8GHz Pentium M. Also it would be interesting to know how long a transfer of a regular file (maybe 100MB) takes.

My wife's computer is a 2.4GHz P4 with 512MB RAM. I can't test the transfer of a large file because I've already returned the unit and received a full refund, sorry.
wink.gif

But, it might be nice (for everyone else, at least) to be able to read a full review from someone who was able to install Japanese SS 2.3 and who didn't get a defective unit. (hint hint)

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #43 of 860
Mavis , do you own an ipod?
If so why did you buy the Sony?
Why didnt you try a new unit?
Do you love your ipod?
Are you a saboteur paid by apple?
Am i paranoid?
Whats brown and sticky?
A stick.

Dec 14, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #44 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis
Mavis , do you own an ipod?
If so why did you buy the Sony?
Why didnt you try a new unit?
Do you love your ipod?
Are you a saboteur paid by apple?
Am i paranoid?
Whats brown and sticky?
A stick.

Yes, I own a two or three week old iPod. I was dissatisfied by its bass response with my E5c's (sharp rolloff at 50-60Hz) which is why I bought the Sony (Sony DAPs usually have great bass, if not too much. I'd rather have to turn it down that not have it at all) ...

Do I love my iPod? Yeah, I think I do, now - I didn't realize it until I tried the Sony and realized just how close to perfection the scroll wheel is, when I timed myself trying to find various artists in my library with both the Sony and the iPod, and the Sony kept taking substantially longer. Paired with an external amp, I think the SQ of the iPod will be decent, I'll find out soon enough (I've got a custom amp being made, I should have it within a month or so) ... I don't think the iPod is perfect by any means, but then again I'm more than impressed with its UI, which is a major factor (for me) with any product I own.

As for being a saboteur, paid by Apple ... I wish. Could really use the extra money sometimes, especially with this expensive hobby of mine ...
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #45 of 860
i had it for about 2 weeks to try it out.....ive owned mostly sony atrac devices in the past, so was used to sonic stage crashing......yes, it took overnight to import approx 1500 songs, and many hours for me to convert and transfer into the HD-1......its a PITA, but as many say, once they are converted and in the player, its done.....

from my experiences (E5c's EX70's E3c's), the unit does not sound too bad.....i too noticed what i would call annoying static, but not as bad as Mavis's.....mostly with the highly sensitive Shure canalphones, but it was there.....exactly as if it were a cassette with dolby B on.....my biggest gripe was the low output volume.....firstly, the lineout feature was useless.....it caused severe distorsion...i had to use the regular phone-out to use in my car thru an fm modulator.....there was still more noticeable static in the unit than there was in my nw-ns70d flash player......sound can be good, and it can be great....depends on what earphones, and what the EQ is set on.....i did find myself constantly changing the EQ for various songs for the best sound......

another gripe was the display.....very hard to read without the backlight on, but with the backlight used, battery time is cut approx in half.....so count on MAYBE 15 hours with backlight being used often.....also, keep in mind that fast forwarding the unit (has moving parts) sucks battery BIG time.....when trying the unit out, i had both backlight on, volume high, and fast forwarded to many different parts of songs, and it killed the battery......

user interface was a little awkward, in that you could not search for a song in alphabetical order, you had to first find artist, then album, then song.....kind of a tedious process, but still works.....and yes, it takes a while to go from the a's to the q's if you have lots of songs etc......

i will add that i first purchased an ipod 40gig......i hated that thing.....huge, bulky, pain to change volume if you were already in another menu, sounded like crap to me too......tired my ears out very quickly.....very tinny with minimal bass......

the sony was an improvement considering the pretty good sound, but from a low output.....with the ex70's i had the volume almost at its highest setting to get best sound.....also, when calibrating the EQ, it worked best to start all frequencies at the bottom first, and go up from there rather than starting with the flat setting.....gets distorted up top......

i was hoping to wait for the hd3 to see if mp3 sounded better, but will wait for more reviews as others purchase it......

sorry for the long post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back