Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Dec 20, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #91 of 860
Hi,

I bought an HD3 last week, and so far I think it is wonderful. I have owned a 3G 20GB iPod, a 4G 20GB iPod, an iPod Mini, a Toshiba Gigabeat G21 and at the moment I also have Sony NW-E99.

I find the menu structure on the HD3 very good, it is easy to use after you know how to and is very fast. Although the screen is smaller than that on the iPod, it is very clear and displays a lot of information on it which is still easy to read.

Before getting both this and the E99, I had all of my 5000 tracks in Windows Media Player, and I think we all know the pain of importing songs into SonicStage and having to reorganise and type out loads of names and albums etc... This is one big reason for not getting a Sony MP3 player, but when this was all done, I didn't want to sit there converting tracks so sent the whole lot over to the device as they were. 20GB of MP3s in around 2-3hrs, not really sure exactly.

The sound quality that comes out of the HD3 is very impressive, not only is it very clear, but it goes very loud, I generally listen to it around 1/4 of it's volume. Now also, contrary to what is mentioned by the reviewer is that I do not have any noises between tracks or any consistent background noise. There are of course sometimes random noises from the HDD but not through the headphones.

Anyways, the item looks fantastic, feels incredibly well made as you would expect from Sony. One thing that annoys me is the way to charge it/connect it to a pc, is to use both cables through an adaptor, although this is the same as the iPod, it is annoying as I have just had the Gigabeat which did it how it should be. Both seperate plugs on the unit. But seeing as this is the same as it's main rival; the iPod, it is not really a worry.

Well I am keeping my HD3 for a while, not getting my iPod back, what I don't like about iPods is how unbelievably common they are, perhaps nearly 1/3rd of the people i know have one, which just makes it not special enough hence a different device is a nicer thing to own, but obviously the fact that I believe it to be a better device is also quite important!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

ShMeE

Dec 20, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #92 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twizzle
So, I'm hopefully getting my NW-HD3 next week from Amazon, and have already dowloaded the SonicStage 2.3 software from www.connect.com and sucessfully begun converting the first batch of the 1,200-odd CDs I own into ATRAC format (I may be some time). I've not previously owned a hard disk mp3 walkman of any kind, but found SonicStage easy to use, and quick to get to grips with - I'm scanning CDs in from scratch, rather than converting mp3s, so perhaps it's easier this way.

Andy

Slightly off topic:

Andy, have Amazon sent you your NW-HD3 yet? I've had mine on pre-order for a while now and I still have a expected delivery date of 19th-20th Dec. However, they haven't even dispatched the item yet.

I think I might just pop down my local sony centre and get it from there, even if it does cost me £25 more. I seriously don't think Amazon will get NW-HD3 out to me by the 23rd when I need it by.

Cheers,
Scott

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #93 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Yes. I've listened to it. There are noticeable (to me at least) ringing, metallic artifacts that are maddening. In fact, I can't listen to it for long without being annoyed. ATRAC 4.5R is superior to my ears. It may have more artifacts than the new version, but they're not annoying.

There's plenty of information on how poorly ATRAC3+ stands up against other codecs on the Minidisc Community Forums. You should go check it out. =P

At what bitrate are talking about here. At 256kb/s I have rarely heard any artifacts at all. At any bitrate lower than 256kb/s Atrac3 in all formats sounds terrible, but so does MP3. The artifacts are apparent in LP2 and higher thats for sure.

The only codecs that sound fairly decent at lower bitrates (128kb/s) are MPC and Ogg V.

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #94 of 860
does the HD have gapless (no glitch between each track) for >>>>MP3<<<< not ATRAC...also i am getting some new earphones (canal) but i dnt know which ones to get...whats the best for under 30 quid (not outside the UK) ...is it the sony fontopias?...n e ways help is appreciated...cheers
600smile.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #95 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by randle
does the HD have gapless (no glitch between each track) for >>>>MP3<<<<

No.

ATRAC is only gapless because it is not stored in separate files; i.e. it is one massive OpenMG file that is divided via a sort of electronic "cue sheet" stored within the file.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
At what bitrate are talking about here.

"Hi-SP" aka 256kbps ATRAC3+. If you check Hydrogenaudio, you'll see that they have found the same things mostly, especially with samples that gives codecs a hard time.

Dec 20, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #97 of 860
Quote:

No.

ATRAC is only gapless because it is not stored in separate files; i.e. it is one massive OpenMG file that is divided via a sort of electronic "cue sheet" stored within the file.

"Hi-SP" aka 256kbps ATRAC3+. If you check Hydrogenaudio, you'll see that they have found the same things mostly, especially with samples that gives codecs a hard time.

Ok I'll have to check it out, but from my experience I haven't heard any such artifacts. Thanks for the info.

Dec 20, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #98 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
Ok I'll have to check it out, but from my experience I haven't heard any such artifacts. Thanks for the info.

It's readily apparent on music with a lot of transients, i.e. piano and acoustic guitar. I have a short track (Aikawa Nanase's "a piece of memory" which is nothing but a minute long acoustic guitar solo) that sounds just fine, if a little digitaley and cold, on LAME -alt preset-standard or 224kbps AAC, but sounds definitely lifeless and flat on ATRAC3+.

Conversely, on old-school ATRAC Type-R for MD, the same track sounds rather warm and inviting. Odd, no?

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #99 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis
Not really, i have heard this argument over and over, i know how my ipod sounded to me and thats enough.

That's fine, anemic bass on the iPod is a matter of taste and you're entitled to your own opinion.

On the other hand, as I was trying to point out earlier, your initial statement
Quote:

No, but it should be there if present on original recording.

implied that the iPod cuts off low frequencies entirely. That is false.

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #100 of 860
Quote:

Where did you get that information? I just checked my HD1 via Windows Explorer and it's definitely not the case. All files are separate. Atrac is gapless because, at least in this aspect, Sony did the right thing.

By the way, I've read AAC is also gapless. If that's true, then it's amazing that Apple's engineers were unable to do it in the player after so many years and so much money coming their way. Has anybody ever bought a gapless album from iTunes? I wonder how they deal with the issue.

Dec 21, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #101 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
That's fine, anemic bass on the iPod is a matter of taste and you're entitled to your own opinion.

OT:

No.

I've owned all G's of the iPod. It h a s anemic bass. It isn't a matter of taste, that's just the way it is. The same goes for Sony's MDs. Taste has nothing to do with it...(unfortunately).

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #102 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by daphox
OT:

No.

I've owned all G's of the iPod. It h a s anemic bass. It isn't a matter of taste, that's just the way it is. The same goes for Sony's MDs. Taste has nothing to do with it...(unfortunately).

As apparent from the thread I had linked to earlier, there are people who find the bass on the iPod just fine. What you see as anemic bass, some others may perceive as neutral, flat, and perfect according to their preferences. Some people like it, some people don't -- if that is not a matter of taste, then I don't know what is.

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:50 AM Post #103 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
As apparent from the thread I had linked to earlier, there are people who find the bass on the iPod just fine. What you see as anemic bass, some others may perceive as neutral, flat, and perfect according to their preferences. Some people like it, some people don't -- if that is not a matter of taste, then I don't know what is.

I know many perceive it flat, neutral, & so on. This really doesn't hinder the fact that it really i s anemic. I.e, same can be said 'bout B&W speakers (some series, 600). I know a lot of people love them, the hard fact is that the bass i s anemic on them also. Whether one likes it or not is another matter.

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #104 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by daphox
I know many perceive it flat, neutral, & so on. This really doesn't hinder the fact that it really i s anemic. I.e, same can be said 'bout B&W speakers (some series, 600). I know a lot of people love them, the hard fact is that the bass i s anemic on them also. Whether one likes it or not is another matter.

No, "anemic" connotes lacking. And that's not the case with the iPod. The iPod delivers bass that is true to the original sound, not a bloated, exaggerated bass you find in most players today. The only "anemia" might be with respect to low impedance, un-amped headphones, in which there is a low-end roll off with the iPod.

Dec 21, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #105 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
No, "anemic" connotes lacking. And that's not the case with the iPod. The iPod delivers bass that is true to the original sound, not a bloated, exaggerated bass you find in most players today. The only "anemia" might be with respect to low impedance, un-amped headphones, in which there is a low-end roll off with the iPod.

This discussion could go on forever, if you like the sound of your ipod , good. If you dont , sell it and get something else.

There was an interesting piece in the you magazine at the weekend, the reporter was returning his second ibook and the apple guy who came to collect it said "i feel sorry for you" guy "why" apple "because you have a macintosh, i pick up about 10 of these a week from this area and about 20 ipods"

The reporter swears he will never buy apple goods again.

Are problems with ipods that common?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back