Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Dec 30, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #151 of 860
yer, atrac is a better format, smaller filesizes, and ultimatley its an ATRAC device, but i cba to convert all my tracks

i also dont know how to
blink.gif
can anyone tell me?

but what is better about HD1 than HD3?

Dec 30, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #152 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
It's just a 1/8" mini ... So, mini to RCA should do the trick.

Ah okay, I missed the obvious! I was thinking of a cable that would use the strange port (i-link?) next to the headphone out. I guess the mini isn't going to be lacking in quality as long as I get a decent cable. Thanks.

@mikecli - I believe the NW-HD1 could only be charged through the docking cradle. This makes the NW-HD3 better as I don't need to carry the cradle around with me in case I need to charge it. The battery life is better too, 30 hours for Atrac, 23 hours for MP3. Of course this depends on the compression you use.

And isn't the NW-HD1 firmware upgrade chargable? It may be £20 cheaper but you would spend that on the firmware upgrade!

Dec 30, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #153 of 860
The HD1 looks more Expensive and better built, then HD3.

I really dont know which player I want ,but I will send the HD1 (if I buy it) to sony so it can have Native Mp3 Playback. Price is not an issue, I JUST WANT the best player (Quality,Sound,easy use and cool looks) But as I watch pictures the HD1 looks better. But looks is not everything right ??.

But i have to say the HD3 looks a bit Plastic to me.

As for now I will go for the HD1, but I will wait because I wan to see the HD3 in front of me in the shop before I buy anything.

What do you guys think ??

Dec 30, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #154 of 860
nah,i like the build of the NW-HD3

those photos posted by Mavis dont make it look as good as it is. It doesnt look glittery like that although i have the black one

it looks good though, and imo better than an ipod. The cool blue backlight also looks very stylish, and the buttons are located in the right places

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #155 of 860
There is a difference in build quality between the HD1 and HD3? I thought it was the same with the exception of the mp3 support.

Does the HD-1 support the mini-adaptor that comes with the HD2 and HD3. I would like to use it as a portable hard drive and if I have to carry the dock, then it seems kinda pointless.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #156 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosun
There is a difference in build quality between the HD1 and HD3? I thought it was the same with the exception of the mp3 support.

Does the HD-1 support the mini-adaptor that comes with the HD2 and HD3. I would like to use it as a portable hard drive and if I have to carry the dock, then it seems kinda pointless.

Ohhh there is ?? Well in that case which one is the best ?? I think the Build quality of the HD1 is better so I think I buy that one

Dec 31, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #157 of 860
Quote:

Ohhh there is ?? Well in that case which one is the best ?? I think the Build quality of the HD1 is better so I think I buy that one

No, I was asking if there is a difference. It seems that people on this forum make a big deal about it.

Dec 31, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #158 of 860
ok:

NWHD3:
B0006VJ7VQ.02.PT01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

NWHD1:
B0002V85EU.02.PT01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

its also good to note that the NWHD3 has an aluminium body, whereas the NWHD1 has a magnesium body, making it slightly lighter

however, the NWHD3 has been updated from th NWHD1 making it better musicwise. I heard that gapless playback has been put into the NWHD3 and battery life is longer. On amazon, it is only £20 more expensive aswell, ,and on www.sony.co.uk , they are the same price, and if you want NWHD1 to be MP3 compatible, you would have to pay an extra £20 anyway

Dec 31, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #159 of 860
Ah well I'd rather stick with the HD3, there's hardly a difference, I read somewhere that the scroll rate is faster on the HD3 as well. To be honest, I spent practically the whole day fiddling with it yesterday and it seems very robust. I'm definitely very pleased with the HD3. I got the silver one, it does look a lot classier than the HD1, it's very sleek with a touch of retro.

Sphinx - converting to Atrac? Do you mean from CD --> Atrac? Just use sonicsmell, click "music source" tab then select "record cd" from pull down menu above, make sure format is "256k ATRAC3plus". I haven't tried converting mp3s --> Atrac, but since HD3 is mp3 native, there is no point.

God I do hope they release a software update soon. Anyone any ideas on how to get songs with weird characters to transfer? e.g. chinese/asian characters (Apart from renaming them).

Sidenote: As much as I disliked and avoided chemistry during school, I did notice -with much amusement I must add- that burning magnesium makes it ignite like a firework. So if the HD1 has a magnesium body, would that not burst into a spectacular fireshow if say, you dropped your cigarette on it? Or is it made from a magnesium alloy where it's not so reactiveychemistrygeekumzoidahumyesyes? <--no need to answer that one
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #161 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecli
Sphinx - converting to Atrac? Do you mean from CD --> Atrac? Just use sonicsmell, click "music source" tab then select "record cd" from pull down menu above, make sure format is "256k ATRAC3plus". I haven't tried converting mp3s --> Atrac, but since HD3 is mp3 native, there is no point.

yeah. i knew about that, but i was wondering about converting tracks i already have on my PC HD to 256 k ATRAC format for experimenting with the sound quality, i i think its only 48k you can do

and about the HD1, its an alloy.....thankfully lol

and with the characters, i got a royksopp song on there, with the funny line through the 'o' but havnt tried with chinese/japanese origin text

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #162 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecli
Oh forgot to say, the HD1 doens't support drag and drop. So --> can't use it as portable HD, as far as I can remember before I returned it.

You CAN use it as a portable HDD, you just can't drag and drop music onto it. You can put files extra to carry around, even music files, but they won't play in the device.

About the build quality of the two units. The Nw-hd1 doesn't have a seem on it. The magnesium body is absolutely stunning to look at, and it really is tiny in comparison with other players. I haven't seen the Nw-hd3 but if its anything like the Hd1 it too should have good build quality.

Dec 31, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #163 of 860
the metal body on the HD3 is very nice, and with the blue backlight on looks awesome. There isnt a visibal seam, however on the left of the screen, at the side of the unit there is a silver metal strip, which probably covers up the seam. however it doesnt look out of place , whereas with the ipod, the chrome back and white front doesnt really go to well, and the seam is too obvious.the HD3 also has 'sony' in silver written along the top, and the indented walkman symbol on the bottom right, looks very nice.

the only thing i would say to mak eit look nicer, is if the buttons were made out of metal instead of plastic. But apart from that, it tops other MP3 players looks by far

Dec 31, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #164 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx89
the metal body on the HD3 is very nice, and with the blue backlight on looks awesome. There isnt a visibal seam, however on the left of the screen, at the side of the unit there is a silver metal strip, which probably covers up the seam. however it doesnt look out of place , whereas with the ipod, the chrome back and white front doesnt really go to well, and the seam is too obvious.the HD3 also has 'sony' in silver written along the top, and the indented walkman symbol on the bottom right, looks very nice.

the only thing i would say to mak eit look nicer, is if the buttons were made out of metal instead of plastic. But apart from that, it tops other MP3 players looks by far

The black player has not Plastic buttons on it WHY ?. As for me the Black and the red player is the coolest of them all. BUT since the Red Player has plastic buttons i'm gonna go with the black one. It has silve buttons as the picture shows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back