Sony NW-A3000 (hence A-1000) Review
Dec 5, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lloyd braun
i may have missed this, but do you still have to charge with the usb and ac adaptors together?
i'm really torn between this and the hd3. the main thing that turns me off about the hd3 is the backround hiss.

The plug for the AC and USB are combined into one, a la iPod. If you've used an iRiver H10 you know what it's like-- the A3000/1000 comes with a combination AC/USB cord that plugs into the proprietary connector. You can have both plugged in (charge/sync at once), but you don't have too-- you can use the USB alone and the AC alone.

Just a note. The A3000 has the exact same background hiss as the HD3/HD5. Possibly a TAD more subtle, but still there.

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MorningMusumeFan
Do you need the connect software to upload any type of files? like the iTunes?

Either Connect Player, SonicStage, or MP3 File Manager must be used to transfer audio files for playback on the A3000/1000, but it also shows up as a removable hard drive if you want to store data. Like an iPod.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by aice
Is it true that when you listen to an album, when the album stops, the player shuts off?

Yup. Like any other player I know.. iPod, etc. It's just the A3000 shuts down a little sooner. Stays in 'stop' mode for about twenty seconds then it will shut down.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by carsncars
I can tell you right now, that a colour-screened HD5 would not make much of an impact. Maybe on Head-Fi, it would win out, but not in the grand scheme of things. Sony needed to do something that stirred people up and got them talking, so we get the A3000.

Head-Fi is about SQ. What has a colour screen got to do with SQ? If any thing the general public would need it to match the iPod for features. As for stirring people up, what they needed was to improve the player, and either remove the dire sofware or improve it. Instead we get cynical reskin of the same product.

Dec 13, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
Has anyone tried service menu hack that removes the volume limiting feature on the european versions of the A3000/A1000???

Is the headphone output noisy???

Just done the volume hack in the test mode on my NW-A1000. With my Sennheiser PMX 200's sounds wicked!!!

Below is the thread for the hack- happy blasting all!!!
3000smile.gif

http://www.atraclife.com/index.php?showtopic=509

Dec 14, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #38 of 48
CORRECTION TIME!

The early units I recieved weren't totally 'there' yet. First of all-- the EQ is a six-band EQ. That is the ONLY EQ option, other than presets-- Sony's V-Surround engine is gone. This EQ will work on both MP3 and ATRAC encoded files.

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:31 AM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician
I dont understand Sony - Its bigger than HD5 got worse battery - still 20gig.

why not an HD5 with colour screen and 40-60gig?? and UMS drag and drop - the thing then would kill apple.

SONY is making a real music player not some toy you play with that's why, a color screen is not needed, and that's also what seperate SONY from the others.... beside, want a color screen get a PSP, if u wanna watch something dont u think at least get a screen that big enough to have all the images in at one time??? lol shaem on Ipod video, what a JOKE!!!!

Jan 5, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #40 of 48
...and it's freakin' sweet!

It was 329EUR at the local mall, could've got it for less if ordered online, but what the heck, no waiting for shipping this way
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't really been able to play around with the smart shuffle and other cool stuff yet, just transferred my whole list of mp3s on and been walking around town with my new sennheisers on lol
eggosmile.gif

One thing i did was open the unit. The backplate came off easily after removing the small circular thingy on the back and unscrewing to screw that was under it. Certainly better than an iPod, batterywise atleast
smily_headphones1.gif

So yeah, i don't know what to tell about it, seems like this review pretty much covered everything. Anyways, i'm ready to answer any questions and try out hacks etc. you might want to see in action. (did the volume hack already, works prefectly)

Laters, off to boomin' with ma' new player
rolleyes.gif

- iNf|erno

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodacose
Argh! I was just about set on the HD5 instead of waiting for the A3000. I shouldn't have even read this. Should have just turned away.

On another note, when are we going to see these in the US? Any ideas? Is this something you found retail in Canada, or was it import? I saw that sony's UK site has them for 199 euros while the US site still has the HD5 for something like $280.

How can Sony's UK site have them for 199 EUROS??

Jan 5, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

How can Sony's UK site have them for 199 EUROS??

He must've meant 199GBP which would be about 290EUR. No way they could be 199EUR, or i would've paid over 100EUR more if they were lol

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #43 of 48
I paid 250 Euro's for mine. I use it with the Sennheiser PX200, and the volume hack works wonders on Sacré du Printemps in an airplane.

The lack of soundstage and transparency is what kept me away from using the iPod my boss gave me. My wife has been, and still is, perfectly happy with it, while I was using my MD player.

The A3000 got me off MiniDisc. The player is gorgeous, the user interface is very good (I can operate all important functions while the player is in my jeans pocket), and the sound is beyond expectation.

And the software is entirely at the other side of the spectrum - it's lousy. But it rips my CD's and gets them onto my device, so I'm happy.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #44 of 48
Well it's February 2006. No sign of the NW-A3000 on Sony USA site.

Is USA introduction being held up because of Connect or is Sony trying to clear out old stock first or are they just waiting for the "right" time?

Paul

Feb 9, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #45 of 48
i'm actually very interested in the a1000 model as it's smaller and assuming that it sounds identical to the a3000.

for those of you who own it, could you elaborate on the sound further? say in comparison to a rio karma (my current portable) or something along the lines. i use senn px100 but would like to try the audio technica cm7.

also, have you guys experimented with atrac at all? since there's so many versions of it, i'm wondering what would be optimal the settings. i personally love the ogg vorbis format, but obviously would have to switch to atrac for this player. i'm so used to ripping and encoding on the fly with eac, is the connect software going to piss me off trying to rip from cd to atrac? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back