Sony NW-A1000
Jan 13, 2007 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Joper

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody.

I need to buy a new mp3 player with some more memory. Here in Sweden they are having a sell out on Sony Sony NW-A1000v 6gb. They only cost 990 in swedish currency (136 USD)

This is a picture on it. Its only available in this color but i think its very nice.

http://www.siba.se/images/articles/6/SE92045.jpg

Does anyone here have this player? Im not gonna use it with a amp or anything like that, just with some good earphones. Im really not a audiophile but i want it to sound good.

Do i have to convert the files to atrac or can i have normal mp3 files and still have nice sound quality?

Cya!

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 9
I got a purple NW-A3000. Look exactly the same but slightly bigger, with a 20 gb drive. This player doesn't look good on pictures and on display, but hold it with its beautiful curved purple metal back and you don't want to let it go, it's that sexy.
Assuming the A1000 has the same inners part, you'll find sound quality is really excellent.
But I've only used ATRAC 256kbs files, ripped from CD, I don't know about MP3s.
It will play MP3s natively(and WMA and AAC), and I doubt converting MP3 to ATRAC is a good idea.
For firmware upgrades etc look here: http://www.atraclife.com/

Jan 14, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the answer. Yes i have hold this player in my hand and i just love it, i need to buy one!

I tought the program that you use to transfer files to the player converted the mp3 files automaticly to atrac, but i guess they not. Even better
biggrin.gif

Probably going to order one tomorrow. I have always liked Sonys products so i think this will be a nice buy.

Sorry if my english is a bit strange but thats because im from Sweden
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the answer. Yes i have hold this player in my hand and i just love it, i need to buy one!

I tought the program that you use to transfer files to the player converted the mp3 files automaticly to atrac, but i guess they not. Even better
biggrin.gif

Probably going to order one tomorrow. I have always liked Sonys products so i think this will be a nice buy.

Sorry if my english is a bit strange but thats because im from Sweden
wink.gif

I have the NW-A1200 which is an 8GB US model. The supplied earbuds (MDR-E93) are of course throw-away, battery life using AAL is about 10-12 hrs, and coming from MD it took awhile getting used to the menu/playlist scheme (AAL = 352kbps lossless - about 5.5 hrs per Gb). Sound is on par with other Sony Atrac devices which - for me - is very good/excellent. It is sleek and sexy, and I love button operation/layout. But it's a little heavy and I'm not comfortable toting around a spinning hard drive - B+ for me. I'm craving a flash player with 4-6GB for lossless files, and my (interchangeable) HiMDs are still the most versatile of the lot. Good luck.
3000smile.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 9
I have an A3000, and while I like it. I cannot honestly recommend it.

good news:
  1. very good sound
  2. decent EQ
  3. remote ready
  4. gapless when ripped from CD to atrac

bad news:
  1. the display is useless outdoors, any sunlight and it becomes invisible
  2. the interface is really slow, changing menus can take almost 4 seconds, skipping tracks can take just as long
  3. mediocre software
  4. despite its good sound, it still has quite a bit of noise
  5. output is not very powerful
  6. battery life isn't great

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 9
Try the hack anyway; no negative consequences (unless you use max. as a volume delimiter) and it sound more powerful to my ears, hacked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back