Sony NS500V replacement = NS755V
Sep 7, 2002 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Well, so here's the big reason Sony discontinued the NS500V:

h158DVP755V-f-MT.jpeg

h158dvp755v-b.jpeg

Step up to Sony’s DVP-NS755V Progressive/SACD™/CD/DVD Player. Featuring 480P Progressive Pixel by Pixel Conversion Video Out, SACD Multi-Channel Output, and CD-R/CD-RW, DVD-R/DVD+RW, DVD-RW (Video Mode), and MP3 Playback, this DVD Player provides the ultimate entertainment experience. Additional features include Picture Navigation which generates on-screen menus for discs, a BNR & Video Equalizer, Custom Parental Control, Playback Memory, Sound Feedback, and Dolby® Digital & dts® Output. A 12bit 108MHz Noise Shaped DAC, a 12bit 108MHZ Video DAC, and Multi Disc Resume (40-Disc) are also featured. Buy the DVP-NS755V now – set it up in a snap and enjoy all Sony DVD has to offer.

480P Progressive Pixel by Pixel Conversion Video Out

CD-R/CD-RW Playback

DVD-R/DVD+RW Playback

DVD-RW (Video Mode) Playback

MP3 Playback

SACD Multi-Channel Output

Picture Navigation

BNR & Video Equalizer

Custom Parental Control

Playback Memory

Quick Setup

Sound Feedback

V.C. Filter

Dolby® Digital & dts® Output

12bit 108MHz Noise Shaped DAC

12bit 108MHZ Video DAC

SACD Multi-Channel Output

Multi Disc Resume (40-Disc)

Seems like the major new feature the NS500V didn't have is the ability to do progressive scan. Retail price is $299...I saw it locally today in a store for $249.

BTW, for those still hunting for NS500Vs, I saw a stack of brand new ones in Tower Records today...for $299.
rolleyes.gif
Might want to look in your local Tower Records if you're still desperate for one of those.
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 15
Señor Sony strikes again!

I was going to say I thought I had the 755, but I have the SCD-CE755, which does not include DVD. I guess I better start referring to it by its full nomenclature.

Sep 7, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I was going to say I thought I had the 755, but I have the SCD-CE755, which does not include DVD.

No, actually you have the SCD-CE775, not 755.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Yeah, this is what happens when you spend 2 weeks researching sources everyday. You end up knowing every source made in the past 5 years or so like the back of your hand.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 7, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

Yeah, this is what happens when you spend 2 weeks researching sources everyday. You end up knowing every source made in the past 5 years or so like the back of your hand.
rolleyes.gif

So where does the Pioneer universal player rate in that list? (The DV-47A, DV-45A, DV-47Ai...pick one...) Quote:

No, actually you have the SCD-CE775, not 755.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Oh. Heh-heh (blushes; checks own profile; "yup, it's right in there"; still changes it to full nomenclature).

Sep 7, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 15
Seems like the DV-47A would probably be best compared to the Sony 9000ES. That's the level where I've seen bickering back and forth. I've seen several comments stating more expensive redbook players sound better than it in redbook, and that its SACD playback doesn't quite get up to the 777ES level. So it's clearly a bargain player, but not quite a giant killer...unless you mod it. One particular comment though that one owner made was that it had less digital hash or edge compared to more expensive players...including the 777ES.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...7a&r=&session=

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...v-47a&session=

Sep 7, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 15
If someone decides to buy one, check the NS500V v. NC655V thread for a link to a place online selling it for less than $225 with very reasonable shipping.

kerelybonto

Sep 7, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 15
It's nice to see manufacturers pushing Progressive Scan into their lower end players. It's obviously a ripple effect of the FCC's mandate for them to push out HDTV televisions.

It's funny that while I'm such an anarchist about politicals in general and that I reserve an extra dose of resentment toward the FCC that I'm actually rather happy about them forcing HDTV down our throats. I guess it just goes to show that like most Americans, I think television is more important than freedom. ...or something.

It seems that you guys weren't all that impressed by the video performance of the last model, right? I still have my aging S7000 but won't replace it until I can do so affordably with something across the board better.

Sep 8, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 15
ehh... if that thing could play dvd-audio i'd be more tempted to check it out. i personally do not really give much of a damn about the video quality or capability of mp3 playback. i don't think my ns500v can play mp3's, and i don't really care enough to bother finding out. do any specs on the ns755v suggest better redbook or sacd playback than that of the ns500v?

Sep 8, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by isotope240
i don't think my ns500v can play mp3's, and i don't really care enough to bother finding out.

That seems to be another new "feature" of the 755V...it's explicitly stated that it can playback MP3s.

Sep 8, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 15
I just bought a Sony NS905V here in Australia. It seems to be the successor to the NS 700 (I'm not sure whether the NS500 was avaliable here).

The NS905V has a visual resembalnce to the much pricier NS900, but seems to be an upgraded NS700 with the QS fascia, brushed aluminum. It has a new 12-bit 108MHz video DAC, and plays MP3s. In Australia it doesn't get progressive scan - I'm not sure why.

Anyway, it's a terrific DVD player, and I'm very happy with CD and SACD playback as well.

Sep 10, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 15
The NS905V looks like a scaled own version of the NS900. In Australia the NS900 is being phased out I believe - it sold for about $2300 I think, whereas the NS905V sells for $1200 retail - that's Australian dollars, mind you.

So for about half the price, you get a machine that looks similar, but is not as tall, and lacks a headphone connection and volume control. I think the SACD performance is pretty similar, although the blurbs I've got for the 900V refer to an R-core transformer and "audio isolated" feature, that is not mentioned for the NS905V. The NS905V has a 12-bit video DAC running at 108MHz, whereas the 900 has a 10-bit one that runs at 54MHz (bearing in mind that we don't get the progressive scan models here).

Also, the remte for the 900 is more high tech, with a little LCD display.

It's probably fair to say that the NS905V is more an upgraded NS700V, given it's features and pricing.

Sep 10, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
what i want to know is.. the difference between this player and the ns900v.

http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.j...=&itemid=18465

both progressive scan and sacd players.. the 900v is supposedly a rip-off of the 9000es, but with the ability to read cd-r/rw and dvd-r/rw.

tuberoller: can you review the ns900v as well?
biggrin.gif

I was going to borrow a 900V but they are sold out at both the local stores that sell them.I have placed an order for the 9000es replacement player which should arrive in late October.I have been told that this player features Sony's 2nd generation SACD DACs and will have stellar redbook performance.The guys at Music Direct said the Sony Rep claims that the new player will be choke regulated and feature upsampling similar to the top of the line Musical Fidelity players.we'll see........

Sep 11, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller

I was going to borrow a 900V but they are sold out at both the local stores that sell them.I have placed an order for the 9000es replacement player which should arrive in late October.I have been told that this player features Sony's 2nd generation SACD DACs and will have stellar redbook performance.The guys at Music Direct said the Sony Rep claims that the new player will be choke regulated and feature upsampling similar to the top of the line Musical Fidelity players.we'll see........

I was thinking of picking up a used 9000ES. I just wanted to make sure I'm reading your post correctly. Is the 9000ES you ordered an upgraded version of the earlier 9000ES, or is it the same one that has been out for the last year or so? I just wanted to be clear on this as I don't want to buy an obsolete model if I can do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back