Sony Network hacked again!
Jun 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

soozieq

Headphoneus Supremus
Didn't they just get everything up and running after the April hack?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13636704

"A hacker group has claimed it has attacked the Sony network and stolen more than one million passwords, email addresses and other information. Lulz Security said it broke into servers which run SonyPictures.com. It said it had hacked into a database that included unencrypted passwords as well as names, addresses and dates of birth of Sony customers. In April, hackers broke into Sony's PlayStation Network and stole data from more than 77 million accounts.".

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 13
well it looks like i will never use a ps3. im a pc gamer luckily.

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
SonyPictures.com ain't PlayStation Network. PSN is still slowly restoring service since the April hack.

i have a psn account but luckily i have no information on it.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
IMO Sony deserved the money they are losing from the hacks, however I don't think the costumers needed to suffer like this.

I don't understand this attitude. If someone mugged you in the street and got away with it, would that mean you deserved to be mugged?

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 13
Let's just hope Sony learns from this and starts protecting user info better. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:

I don't understand this attitude. If someone mugged you in the street and got away with it, would that mean you deserved to be mugged?

Sony has had what's coming to them for a long time.  If you're a manufacturer of this class and you're not securing your web presence properly you're really asking for it.  Not to mention Sony has always done completely disgusting and underhanded things to their users/customers anyway.   (anyone remember this?)

It is a shame that any individuals are paying for Sony's incompetence,  but I certainly don't feel bad for Sony.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #11 of 13

IMO individuals and corporations are distinguishably different. Here is a small list of reasons why I think they deserved it.

-Installed rootkits with some of there software without telling users
-Removed features from PS3 that where originally there. (Ability to install linux, and I know a few people who really used that feature a lot)
-Not securing there data enough in the first place
-Always using preparatory formats like memory stick

I can go on but you get the idea. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of things Sony makes for example I swear by the Sony Alpha DSLRs but Sony really needs to improve. I really hate that they used to install rootkits on peoples computers with software they sold, thats just so wrong. Not to mention how poorly they handled the first big hack!

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 13
well, i do somewaht feel Sony had it coming, the Geohot thing was the last straw it seems.  im sure we all remember the sony cd / rootkit hoo haa.  betamax, minidisc, atrac, the 43 versions of memory stick, UMD etc etc etc.  Sony makes nice stuff but just never wants to play fair and i guess they just ticked off the wrong people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back