Sony MZ-RH10 -- PMDP
Jul 20, 2005 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Osaire

Head-Fier
I admit, I don't know if anyone calls these PMDP's, but I figured I'd make a post to see if anyone had a review, opinions, or anything on this unit.

I'd love to know any in depth information anyone has on it or competing (read: better) models.

I won't hold my breath since I know MD isn't very popular, but I'll be a little hopeful!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Osaire
I admit, I don't know if anyone calls these PMDP's, but I figured I'd make a post to see if anyone had a review, opinions, or anything on this unit.

I'd love to know any in depth information anyone has on it or competing (read: better) models.

I won't hold my breath since I know MD isn't very popular, but I'll be a little hopeful!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

try forums.minidisc.org

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 17
i have the rh910, the no oled screen version. the player has excellent sound quality and has almost any features that you can think of, in terms of playback and recording. the UI is also pretty intuitive and battery life is good. if you don't mind the size and slower access speeds of minidiscs, then it would be quite a good music player/recorder.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 17
I just got mine today, as a matter of fact.

So far, it's pretty neat. I am a MD partisan, though. I haven't had time to play with all the features yet, but I like what I see so far. It has both mic-in and optical line-in inputs for recording. I assume that most of the people interested in this will be into it for the ability to record in linear PCM audio. The NetMD functions work as one might expect. It lacks an optical line-out, but, I am not so sure how awful that is on this one, unless you want to run the MD signal through other components. In that case, I'd recommend the new Onkyo Hi-MD deck (available at Audiocubes). The RH10 is powered by a wall wart, internal gumstick, or screw-on battery pack.

I think this one is infinitely better suited to recording than a portable music player. The EL display lets the taper see what is going on with the levels and navigate menus without any real problem. The screw-on battery pack really makes the thing limited only by the number of AA's one can find. This would also make a good lecture, meeting, garage band, sermon, etc. recorder. It is small, unobtrusive, and light. Unfortunately, I see MD becoming the new, and longer-lived, DAT. Flash and HDD players have a stranglehold on the digital music game. However, they are not recording audio with any great ability yet. Sony's neverending series of MD blunders has pretty well put the format in a position to be the semi-professional recording medium of choice. This new RH10 is a good recording platform, now that the titling error has been corrected.

Playback is nice. I always preferred, and still do, the sound of the MD DAC to the iPod. The MD players sound a bit more "neutral," but that is only IMO. The large, clear display has all the information one could want about the track. The menus are easy to navigate. The buttons are smallish, but I get the impression that they want you to use the included remote more than the buttons on the case. It is a combination of metal and plastic. It isn't as tank-like as the earlier models, but I don't fear its destruction in normal use. There are those still rather attached to the NH-series (which was, as I recall, 1st-gen Hi-MD)

PM me with any specific questions.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 17
Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Couple questions I had based on reading the links to reviews...

Someone mentioned using this unit as a PC storage device. Is that possible? I wasn't aware that MD's could store data.

Also, what is the skip protection like? Is this something that you could jog with, or do other outdoor activities without much fear of skipping or maybe otherwise harming the unit?

All I can think of for now, thanks again for the great replies!

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Someone mentioned using this unit as a PC storage device. Is that possible? I wasn't aware that MD's could store data.

That is indeed possible with the RH10. The recording units with the "H" in it's name are so called Hi-md units. These can also store data on the discs. Another advantage of Hi-md above regular md's is that they're capable of fast uploading from your md to the pc through USB.

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Couple questions I had based on reading the links to reviews...

Also, what is the skip protection like? Is this something that you could jog with, or do other outdoor activities without much fear of skipping or maybe otherwise harming the unit?

All I can think of for now, thanks again for the great replies!

I haven't been running with it, but I would assume that it will continue the long line of very good skip protection. The other two MD players I've had really wouldn't skip from a shock. However, the thing makes substantial use of plastic, so if any calamity befalls it, I doubt that it will come away unscathed. Also, how it's stored will probably make a difference. If it's on an armband or in a backpack, I don't see it skipping or meeting doom.

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 17
Great info. I'm strongly considering the player. I notice that the Japanese model has a more robust package, including a cradle and an in-line remote with backlit LCD. The only problem is it demands quite a bit more money than you can find the US version for.

I'm curious of a few things I've read concerning MP3 playback. Something about how it's not ideal. I didn't seem to find why it wasn't ideal though!

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 17
I think the native MP3 support has to be put through SonicStage. I don't think that there is a drag and drop option for this player. Anything involving SonicStage is less than ideal.

Perhaps I am an odd duck, but I do not like the remote on this one. I think, though, that you can use any compatible Sony LCD remote. There were some, I think - but could be wrong, at the MD forum who mentioned keeping a previous model's remote for this.

You could always spring for the Qualia MD player.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Found this page and it confuses me a bit..

http://www.sony.net/Products/Hi-MD/capacity.html

If they are 1GB discs, why can it only hold 4 hours and 30 minutes of 128Kbit mp3? Wouldn't this compare to about 17 hours on a 1GB flash player?

Also, why is the standard MD in Hi-MD mode holding 5 hours; 30 minutes more than the official 1GB media?

It's probably a typo. The Hi-MD will hold 1GB worth of mp3s. According to the manual (pg 82) a 1GB disc will hold 17 hours worth of 128kbps/mp3.

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #15 of 17
That's definitely a mistake - I can confirm that a hi-md holds a lot more than that amount of 128 mp3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back