Sony MZ-RH1 - - first thoughts
Feb 17, 2008 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bufo333

New Head-Fier
I have only been playing with the unit for a little while but it is a super light amazing little device! The battery life is close to insane! The OLED display is crisp and bright, the pictures do not do it justice.

The sound, thru the line out to my cmoy and Grado's sr225, sound amazing. I have played around with recording made from cd's through optical to an MZ-R55. Once of the top tier minidisc players of 1998. It seems that mz-rh1 has a considerably better DAC then the mz-r55. The sound is cleaner and has much more base and mids. It seems to fill out the song and make it sound closer to the cd's in doing ab testing.

The unit also is great for recording. I was walking around down town Miami today with binural microphones clipped to my ears. I recorded in pcm and hi-sp. The sound is amazing crisp clear and totally 3d. On playback you feel like you are in the grit of the city. I also recorded the boxing match tonight from the stands with the binural headphones.

I have always used minidisc players as my primary portible music source when quality was important and or gapless. For the car or times when the quality of the DAC or playback is not important, like when wearing cheap headbuds I carry the ipod.

This is my first hi-md unit and it is amazing. I have nothing but good things to say for it. I can't falt the unit or really see how people can complain about how mindiscs are not portible because you have to carry media with you, when these same people will take the imoded ipod with the huge LOD cable and "portible amp" with them.

I mean if you are going to walk around strapped like a borg with amps, cables, and huge cans on your head why not carry a couple super thin little discs and for get the LOD cable and otherr mods to fix problems in devices not designed from the ground up for quality.

Rant over
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case I really like this little md unit and recomend it to anyone looking for good sound, and great recording features.

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bufo333 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I...I can't falt the unit or really see how people can complain about how mindiscs are not portible because you have to carry media with you, when these same people will take the imoded ipod with the huge LOD cable and "portible amp" with them....

Because 80 or 160 HiMD are a far bigger?

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 7
Glad you like the RH1. I love it because of its usefulness but I don't like it so much as a DAP. Sounds great but the button layout bugs me and I hate how that beautiful oled screen doesn't show track titles!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
I mean, who was the bonehead that left that out??

Of course it's fine with a remote but I hate having to use a remote. I do think it's the best md field recorder ever. And for that reason, I'll probably never part with mine.

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 7
not sure about the imod, but the output from my mz-nh1, is very very clean for something thats portable.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 7
Too bad Sony totally screwed the pooch on MD and tried to market it as a consumer product instead of a pro-audio product. Without their draconian DRM standards, better software than SonicStage and more useful recording tools, MDs would probably still be truckin' along.

As it is now Sony's totally discontinued all research and development into the MD and Hi-MD technology. A sad day for amateur recording nerds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back