Sony MZ-R900 Troubles - anyone know how to fix?
Jan 27, 2003 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Trounce

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, I bought this player used on ebay about two years ago and for a year and a half it worked perfectly.

One day I woke up, took my dog for a walk and the player skipped. I chalked it up to my bounciness and kept on my way. The skipping, however infrequent, did increase in frequency and after a few months, it would do so during almost every song. It was very frustrating, so I bought a head cleaner thinking that maybe the head was dirty. Turned out it did nothing.

So here I am right now with a beautiful-looking MZ-R900. It will play a song, maybe even two or three or four or five songs, without skipping but once it starts it does not stop. It is extremely disappointing as I was about to sell it and I found out this problem.

Anyone know how to fix these things? I'd be willing to send it to someone to test out provided they pay for shipping charges and is reputable. I'm not going to sell it yet, but I will sell for cheap if someone wants to take it broken and fix it up nice and good.

Anyone?

Thanks...

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 7
Sounds like its out of alignment, did you ever drop the unit? If thats the case, it should be serviced by Sony.

Jan 27, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 7
No more warranty =(

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Do a search on google for ways to re-align it through the diagnostic menu... but besure you do alot of research b4 attempting this as you might be stuck in that menu forever rendering the machine even more unusable...

Good luck! oh check out www.minidiscussion.com too!

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 7
cleaning discs don't do anything. Try to obtain some isopropyl alcohol (at least 91% pure), and very gently rub it on with a cotton bud. That helped my MZ-E900, and mystyler's D-173.

Jan 27, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 7
myself, aka me:

what exactly did it help with? was it skipping intermittently and it fixed that?

I just went over to minidiscussion.com and got some bad news: there are many things, like a weak laser that could be irreplacable... I guess I better take my losses.

edit: spelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back