Sony MZ-NH1 Quality Wise on its own
Jul 20, 2004 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

joplin

New Head-Fier
Hi

I just read an in dept technical review on the MZ-NH1 in comparison to the Ipod and it didn't have alot of good things to say about the Sony.
I would like to hear what people think about the Sony MZ-NH1 without comparing it to something else and opinions that aren't coming mainly from a technical viewpoint. After all not everyone understands this jargon.
The bottom line ? What are your opinions on this new high end MD?
Thanks
Greg Joplin

Jul 20, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm scratching my head trying to come up with better ways of describing the NH1 sound, but currently 'better' (iPod) vs 'nicer' (NH1) seems to be the best way of describing it. Once I've figured everything out the review will be edited and frozen.

The core of the review describes the differences, but in isolation the NH1's sound quality is perfectly OK. I like adjusting the EQ to remove undesirable aspects of some lower-end phones like the PX200, and it works really well and sounds on the whole excellent this way. In isolation, I can't complain.

Jul 22, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi
Do you believe that the MZ-NH1 has a half decent volume?
Joplin
3000smile.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 5
It depends on what phone you're using. In comparison to the iRiver iMP-550's 8mw @ 32 ohms, the 5mw quoted for the NH1 sounds about right (i.e. it's a bit quieter).

Among the current competing devices available, the Sony's probably have the lowest output. Sometimes not by much, sometimes by quite a margin. An efficient phone is recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back