Sony MZ- N910 (net) mini-disc player SQ?
May 25, 2009 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had this player since it was new/when I was about 15-16, though before I got into audio-gear with a critical ear. I went to try it a while back and found battery had died. Just ordered in a new lithium battery for it and am curious to see how it stacks up against my (sony and Apple) DAPs (as I know a few old stalwarts, who still use MDs on a regular basis, have swore that the SQ and sonic performance of such players generally outmatches later DAPs, particulary with Sony)! just curious as to anyone else's impressions before I get to listen for myself...

May 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never found Sony's MD to sound that good after their excellent mid-90's equipment. Even the MZR-37 was a far step from their R35 machines for instance.

Thanks for the response!

Don't sound too promising then
tongue.gif
. Guess I'll see for myself, inevitably, but had hoped for a pleasant surprise.

May 29, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 9
I find my nz510 excellent with my harmon ep730. very detailed and natural sounding. I feel that minidisc would mate well with ety's, but dynamic phone that are better amped seem to work better with older minidisc players like my sharp ms702 which sounds so awesome with koss+ 75 ohm resistors because of the powerful internal amp.

May 29, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 9
I still have a working N707 (battery sucks as it only holds about 8 hours to a charge now, but that is easily rectified). I still love the sound signature, though I never had a chance to try it against some of the newer Sony flash player lines. Much prefer the sound to that of my Archos 6 series but the Archos is a bit more convienient so it got more use in recent days. Still a stellar player IMO, though certainly not one of Sony's best MD players.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 9
I have the mzr909, the last non-net model I think. I've always resisted mp3 because I had no idea until recently that they now play lossless formats like WAV etc.
HOWEVER - this new information plunged me straight into a small-shiny-object-lust, and I'd pretty much settled on the Cowon S9 for my new portable sound toy, although I can't find a local stockist to go and have a listen first.
Then I put a few tunes on the old minidisc this afternoon, and I have to say, I think it's going to be hard to improve upon for sound quality, and here I am back to where I've been several times of late, slavering over the mz-rh1 HiMD. (I'm wanting to upload and download to pc rather than be restricted to recording in real time thru optical cable. Also to record with mic from time to time.)
Which is a long way of suggesting to you that you have a listen to that old 910 of yours and see if you aren't impressed.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 9
As said before, i think SQ on these units are not exceptional but still quite good. When you record using usb/Sonicstage, maximum quality is LP2, which is not more than 132kb/s. The good part is the N910 has a type-s decoder which improves SQ greatly. I find the sound quality marginally better than my Sony NWZ-A828. (less hiss, slightly tighter bass)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back