Sony MH1c replacement tip size?
Jan 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ohcrapgorillas

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all, this is my first post here so... woo.

Okay, so I recently got a pair of Sony MH1C and they're pretty outstanding. I'm using them, however, in an office that I'm sharing with nine other graduate students and the stock tips don't really do it for me in terms of comfort OR isolation. When I put these things in, I don't want to be able to hear anything short of a fire alarm. Right now I'm using Meelectronic M6 double-flange tips, and they're too big--when I pull the headphones out of my ear, the tips stay in.

I was looking at getting some Comply foam tips, but MH1c isn't listed on the Comply website or fitting guide, and the only other comments I've found are "the 400s and 500s are too big." Can anyone give me an idea of the size necessary for these, or maybe some replacement tip recommendations? I'm not married to the idea of Comply tips specifically, but any foam tips should work.

Thanks!

PS Yes I'm aware that many people are of the opinion that foam tips can dampen the highs. I found this article (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comply-foam-tips-and-effects-tip-selection) which says that actually they're fine, as long as they're done properly.

PPS I swear I hear a difference when using these things directly from my laptop vs through my desktop amp at home (http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTA2-2x40W-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0013CDZDI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1357331905&sr=8-9&keywords=pyle+mini+amplifier)... the difference is subtle but significant. Am I hearing things, or is this hobby going to slowly bankrupt me?

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 20
all the Comply tips won't fit MH1C perfectly. (at least that's what their staff told me)

So i ended up with custom reshell. They are WORTH it to my ear 
etysmile.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:
all the Comply tips won't fit MH1C perfectly. (at least that's what their staff told me)

So i ended up with custom reshell. They are WORTH it to my ear 
etysmile.gif

Not sure that's something that can be done on my grad student budget =P I'll start looking around for other tips that might fit them I guess...

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 20
They're okay but they're really thin and don't give me the amount of isolation that I'm looking for, which is why I'm looking for foam specifically. The small ones go a little too deep to get the seal and kind of hurt after a while, and the medium size comes out on the left after a while because of the weight on the left cable.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
They're okay but they're really thin and don't give me the amount of isolation that I'm looking for, which is why I'm looking for foam specifically. The small ones go a little too deep to get the seal and kind of hurt after a while, and the medium size comes out on the left after a while because of the weight on the left cable.

if you ever find a good replacement tip, could you let me know? My pair only came with the medium sized tips, which don't provide a secure enough fit in my ears (which are pretty small). I tried some trifilanges, but they got stuck in my ear once.... and my only solution was to put some wax on the IEM's nozzle to make it thicker, but wax and tape are unsafe and temporary solutions. I would appreciate an update on possible tips :D

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 20
I'm using Comply tips (T400?) but had to do a mod.  These Comply tips are too large to fit on the MH1's.  I cut off the stem from a single flange tip I had lying around, similar to the stem that is on the stock MH1 tips (they may be too thick, though).  I cut it in two, so I had two very small tubes.  These went on the MH1's where the tip would normally go, making the outside diameter of the stem larger.  The Comply tip fits tight over that and doesn't come out in my ear when I pull the bud out.  Extreme sound isolation, I think you'd be happy if that's what you're looking for.  They also stay in place without getting pulled out because of the @#%$*%& flat cable, which I can't say about the stock tips, at least for me. 

In the original MH1 thread someone mentioned that one of the Comply tips may fit the MH1 off the shelf.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
PPS I swear I hear a difference when using these things directly from my laptop vs through my desktop amp at home (http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTA2-2x40W-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0013CDZDI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1357331905&sr=8-9&keywords=pyle+mini+amplifier)... the difference is subtle but significant. Am I hearing things, or is this hobby going to slowly bankrupt me?

There is a reason behind why the initial greeting here is "Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet." 
wink.gif
 And yes... there is a difference, mainly due to most onboard sound cards suck. The one on my dell workstation has an constant and annoying pitchy squeal. It got to the point where I bought a DAC and it's working out great... except now that I want one at home too... and an amp! but then it got me curious about nicer HPs and the cycle repeats. GL staying away. 
beyersmile.png

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 20
I have solved the mystery!

The tips on my Philips SHE 3590 and the tips on the Sony MH1c are interchangeable and fit very snugly. Comply's website lists the 3590's as 200-sized.

Kind of a bummer, actually, I was hoping for the 400's since I'm picking up the Monoprice IEMs, and was thinking I could maybe get two birds stoned at once. 

On an unrelated note, the more I listen to these Sony's, the more I'm just kind of 'eh'. The bass is great but I guess I wish they were brighter or the highs were clearer/more spacious or... or maybe I'm just wanting all my earbuds to be as good as my Yuin PK3 (my favorites, so far). Either way, still gonna keep 'em around. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
I have solved the mystery!

The tips on my Philips SHE 3590 and the tips on the Sony MH1c are interchangeable and fit very snugly. Comply's website lists the 3590's as 200-sized.

Kind of a bummer, actually, I was hoping for the 400's since I'm picking up the Monoprice IEMs, and was thinking I could maybe get two birds stoned at once. 

On an unrelated note, the more I listen to these Sony's, the more I'm just kind of 'eh'. The bass is great but I guess I wish they were brighter or the highs were clearer/more spacious or... or maybe I'm just wanting all my earbuds to be as good as my Yuin PK3 (my favorites, so far). Either way, still gonna keep 'em around. 

Thanks a bunch! I always liked the MH1C, but the fit was awful. Yeah, I also think the highs are a touch laidback.... but coming from the cks77 and the hd25 I'm in the mood for something warmer :p 

Also, I know the EPH-100 has really nice, clear, and smooth highs along with strong bass and pretty forward mids. (essentially a lot like the MH1C, but with a touch more emphasis)

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
Thanks a bunch! I always liked the MH1C, but the fit was awful. Yeah, I also think the highs are a touch laidback.... but coming from the cks77 and the hd25 I'm in the mood for something warmer :p 

Also, I know the EPH-100 has really nice, clear, and smooth highs along with strong bass and pretty forward mids. (essentially a lot like the MH1C, but with a touch more emphasis)

Thanks for the recommendation. A bit pricey for a graduate student, but I'll see if I can find a used pair or something. 

EDIT: Nah I figured it out. The MH1C are a glorious headphone, gorgeous sound all around... when amped. By themselves, that's when they're really just "eh". So I ordered an E6 (and also an ELE EL-D01 USB DAC, just for kicks) and that should solve the problem :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. A bit pricey for a graduate student, but I'll see if I can find a used pair or something. 

EDIT: Nah I figured it out. The MH1C are a glorious headphone, gorgeous sound all around... when amped. By themselves, that's when they're really just "eh". So I ordered an E6 (and also an ELE EL-D01 USB DAC, just for kicks) and that should solve the problem :)

haha nice I'll try the amp out too, and what are you graduating in ? If you don't mind me asking. (I'm probably gonna have the same money issue in college :p)

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 20
PhD in geology. I date rocks.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 20
If you do work out a good way to make/get/steal tips for these, please do let me know! I find the silicone ones they come with uncomfortable, and fall out due to the cable regardless of what size I use. I much prefer foam tips normally, but I don’t have any that fit. I have some that nearly do… they’re just a tiny bit big… but I can’t think of any clever way to fix that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back