Sony MDRV6/MDR7506 - For music listening?
Feb 7, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #31 of 41

Whoa. I just realized that you're one of the few Head-Fi'ers besides me who has owned the STAX SR-30!
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #32 of 41
  Hope they work out for you

Thanks... I'm somewhat lucky, in the sense that my comparison of these will be with the earbuds that came with my Walkman, and Sony MDR-XD100's... so even if not 'that' great, I'm sure they'll still be much better than what I have.

PHASE 2 however, is to maybe look at a newer MP3 player, like those FiiO X1's... I'd stick with Sony but the ones that play FLAC kinda jump up a few dollars. :D

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #33 of 41

Thanks... I'm somewhat lucky, in the sense that my comparison of these will be with the earbuds that came with my Walkman, and Sony MDR-XD100's... so even if not 'that' great, I'm sure they'll still be much better than what I have.

PHASE 2 however, is to maybe look at a newer MP3 player, like those FiiO X1's... I'd stick with Sony but the ones that play FLAC kinda jump up a few dollars. :D

I have a X1 (gave second one to an old GF), X3 and X3ii, I wouldn't put too much weight on using FLAC files with these unless you will be using the digital out to a outboard DAC, cbr-320 MP3 are all that you need if using portable.  I was looking at the X7 but since I rarely use the 3 DAPs that I have decided to get more music.
Also had the older M30 and it was a decent headphone, another headphone that I gave to a girl I when out with a few times.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #34 of 41
  I have a X1 (gave second one to an old GF), X3 and X3ii, I wouldn't put too much weight on using FLAC files with these unless you will be using the digital out to a outboard DAC, cbr-320 MP3 are all that you need if using portable.  I was looking at the X7 but since I rarely use the 3 DAPs that I have decided to get more music.
Also had the older M30 and it was a decent headphone, another headphone that I gave to a girl I when out with a few times.

lol that's probably why they are exes. Save your money with the electronics gifts and think consumables and **** that's throwing your money in the wind like trips, her favorite perfume, spas, flowers, jewelry, and just generally taking them out and treating them to food, drink, and (fun) experiences. Most females don't give a damn about anything electronic or even practical.

If they talk to you about your headphones and music, it's not usually an invitation to bring them into your hobby, it's probably just a rouse to eventually implant the idea of taking her out to a concert or something. lol

Headphones, and just about anything you do on your own that takes away from time spent with a GF, is seen as something she has to compete with for your attention. A gift like headphones is like a slap in the face to most women. It is like saying, I want to spend time alone, so here I got you something to occupy yourself with while I'm ignoring you. Instead of it being what you think it is, which is primarily, "I really enjoy this, and want you to enjoy this like I do." Yeah, most of them are going to take it the wrong way.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #35 of 41
  lol that's probably why they are exes. Save your money with the electronics gifts and think consumables and **** that's throwing your money in the wind like trips, her favorite perfume, spas, flowers, jewelry, and just generally taking them out and treating them to food, drink, and (fun) experiences. Most females don't give a damn about anything electronic or even practical.

If they talk to you about your headphones and music, it's not usually an invitation to bring them into your hobby, it's probably just a rouse to eventually implant the idea of taking her out to a concert or something. lol

Headphones, and just about anything you do on your own that takes away from time spent with a GF, is seen as something she has to compete with for your attention. A gift like headphones is like a slap in the face to most women. It is like saying, I want to spend time alone, so here I got you something to occupy yourself with while I'm ignoring you. Instead of it being what you think it is, which is primarily, "I really enjoy this, and want you to enjoy this like I do." Yeah, most of them are going to take it the wrong way.

I must know really different women from you, most love listening to music and singing karaoke, my ex-wife was a soprano, another ex-gf was a singer in Korea, another ex-gf was a prima ballerina, and most have been pretty good at karaoke.

I have it really good, my girlfriend buys her own handbags, I haven't bought even one for her.  Also never bought her flowers, perfume, spas, or cloths for her.  In fact I've only bought 2 handbags for old girlfriends, $2100 Chanel and $1800 LV.  Over the years I've received some really nice stuff in return like a 180 bottle wine cabinet, 60 bottle wine cabinet, Chanel, Bally, LV, Versace wallets, 70" Led TV, 47" LED TV, 100's of bottles of wine, cloths, many different golf clubs and also other person attention.

My current GF likes using headphones, she uses a HD-700 when walking the dog, and before she moved in she already had a HD-650 and DT-880.  Now that we live in a larger place I have my speakers out of storage so they get most of the play time.  She also bought me a HE-560 (I gave my first one to my son for graduation) and a Project Ember while we were in the smaller place.

I've given 7 Momentum on-ears (most were pink, one blue, one red) as birthday and x-mas gifts to other girlfriends/friends since all remember my birthday or x-mas with wine, golf club or take me to dinner so I make it a point to remember theirs.  All love them since they were only using the cheap ear-buds that came with their phones, I'm trying to grow the hobby
biggrin.gif

The only thing that she competes with for my attention is football on Sunday, this is when she usually hangs out with her friends, goes to the sauna, and does her shopping.  I'm the cook 95% of the time so I do all the marketing, only time she comes is if I'm going to stop at one of our favorite wine stores.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #36 of 41

hahaha head-fi now includes dating advice?

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #37 of 41
  hahaha head-fi now includes dating advice?

Just checked your profile, are you going to provide advice on food and restaurants to go along with the dating advice?  Might make this the most popular thread
tongue.gif
  The HD-650 thread goes all over the place with dog, cat and other advice including answering questions on the HD-650
biggrin.gif
  Just kidding

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #38 of 41
  Just checked your profile, are you going to provide advice on food and restaurants to go along with the dating advice?  Might make this the most popular thread
tongue.gif
  The HD-650 thread goes all over the place with dog, cat and other advice including answering questions on the HD-650
biggrin.gif
  Just kidding

Of course not! Everyone tastes things differently and enjoys different flavors so my love of spicy food might seem terrible to many others, but if you really want to know how i feel about places in vancouver I have no problem giving advice in an appropriate thread or PM. Check my sig and you'll see how I feel about Senny's :wink: 

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #39 of 41
Older thread but, just an update...

I ended up getting the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X's.

I'm 6'3" tall and have a big melon, but these fit just fine with a few 'clicks' to spare on either side for adjustments.

Sound is great... downside is, I had to go and replace some tracks because now I can hear how cruddy the quality was on a few. Since (from what I've read) I'll not hear the difference between 320kbps MP3's and FLAC unless I upgrade some equipment, and since I listen with a portable MP3 player 95% of the time, I'm just getting 320kbps CBR MP3's.

Bass isn't BOOM BOOM in your face crazy, but, you do hear bass when bass is present in the music. It sounds full as well, instead of just pounding in your ear. The higher end sounds great too. I had to tweak the EQ on my Walkman a bit, because left flat/neutral, on my Walkman, the highs didn't stand out enough for me. I like vocals/guitars so, generally treble trumps bass for my listening style.

Noise cancellation is great, someone talking a few feet away, I don't hear, if I extend my arm out and snap my fingers I don't hear it until about 2 feet away. 

One aspect that I'm still getting used to, is the closed backs. Big change over the ear-buds which I guess are closer to being open than closed. The sound sounds like it's in your head, not around it, which I knew would be the case when purchasing. I'd still like to try the Senns, but, read too many reviews mentioning the need for an amp if using with a portable MP3 player and I wanted a simple setup, not extra devices and cables since as mentioned before, I mostly listen to music in bed when trying to sleep. The M40X's when using my Walkman, I had to turn the volume up about 5 bars to get the same volume as the ear-buds. 

I think the M50X's with the punchier bass and highs, would have been too much for me. I can already hear air noise/hiss with my music, turning that up would drive me nuts. 

Very happy with these, though, plan is to (come summer) buy the Sennheiser's and compare them. I told my nephew which I like best, he can have the other pair... which he was more than happy with.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #41 of 41
crap it's great you guys have girlfriends.
just wanted to say I find the mdr-7506 to be bright but that they're nicely balanced up by the great bass response. I guess I like that V shaped response.. good for music listening, for me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back