Sony MDRSA1000, mdvr6
Sep 24, 2007 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Makenzie

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a new set of headphones, and i have my eyes set on these two units.. I currently have the mdr600s that i bought temporarily from work, because i was in need of a new headset. Anyways does anyone have good experience with the sa 1000s? If so, are they noticeably better than the mdvr6s? One thing i dislike about the 1000s, is that the headband looks huge..

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Makenzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a new set of headphones, and i have my eyes set on these two units.. I currently have the mdr600s that i bought temporarily from work, because i was in need of a new headset. Anyways does anyone have good experience with the sa 1000s? If so, are they noticeably better than the mdvr6s? One thing i dislike about the 1000s, is that the headband looks huge..

Absolutely love my pair. I will soon be upgrading to the SA5000's in the near future.

They are the most comfortable pair of headphones I've had on. They're extremely light weight as well. "I" personally love the signature sound the Sony's provide, however it seems many people do not.

The bass is decent, the details are amazing, mids are good (for a pair of headphones under $100), and the overall sound stage is excellent. I would recommend these headphones (as well as any other headphone in the SA lineup).

Happy listening,

-Nick
580smile.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Also, what is with the grille on the outside of the speaker? Looks asthough everyone will be able to hear your music..

SA1000's do a decent job of isolation. Unless you have the music cranked way up, it won't be disturbing.

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 35
Does closed versus open matter? I haven't heard the SA1000, but that could be a major factor

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 35
So the sa 1000s are open? Looking at the pictures of them, it seemed to cover your whole ear like the mdvr6s, but i guess i couild be wrong? Anyone heard the contrast between the 1000s, and the mdrv6? Are the 1000s worth the extra cash? I can get the 1000s for about 20 or so more..

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SA1000 is an open headphone and fully covers your ears. See here

Thanks that link answered many questions for me. It looks as though the grills allow air through the phones.. Anyways I am going to assume that the sa1000s are a much better sounding set than the mdvr6s correct?

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Thanks that link answered many questions for me, but i still have a couple..
When you say it is an open ear headphone that covers your ear, does that mean you can see your ear while the headphones are on, or does that mean air can still get in the headphones without your ear being seen? Because looking at the pictures it is hard to tell.. No one has answered my question, but i am going to guess that the sa1000s are a much better set than the sony mdrv 6s?

I took some quick pictures of mine, hopefully they will help.

You can't see you're ears, and yes air can come in. Pictures up in a second..

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took some quick pictures of mine, hopefully they will help.

You can't see you're ears, and yes air can come in. Pictures up in a second..

Thanks i edited my post, but im still interested in seeing pictures..

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

It's difficult to take pictures of the mesh thing.. it's like a dark "cloth" if you will. It's strong, but it still allows "breath ability" and air to come in.

I didn't do any photo editing, just straight from the camera, but you get the idea, hopefully.

[img=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/17cf7c8304.jpg]
(with flash)

my.php

(without flash; you can see the material that I'm talking about, better on the bottom of the 'phones)

my.php

(drivers.. you can clear not see out, or in)

Again, I apologize for the "crappy" pictures, I have a decent camera, but I didn't get technical with these photos.

Hope this helps..

-Nick

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

It's difficult to take pictures of the mesh thing.. it's like a dark "cloth" if you will. It's strong, but it still allows "breath ability" and air to come in.

I didn't do any photo editing, just straight from the camera, but you get the idea, hopefully.

(with flash)

(without flash; you can see the material that I'm talking about, better on the bottom of the 'phones)

(drivers.. you can clear not see out, or in)

Again, I apologize for the "crappy" pictures, I have a decent camera, but I didn't get technical with these photos.

Hope this helps..

-Nick

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 35
How are they size wise compared to other large around the ear headphones such as the mdr v600s, ect.. I would purchase a set right now if anyone knew how they stacked up with the sony mdvr6s, but no one seems to know..

btw can you take a shot of the headband? it looks huge in the website photos..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back