Sony MDRs and Little Dot I+ Don't Play Nice
Apr 26, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bottomline, you think an amp, even if it's perfectly flat, would only boosts volume.

Nah. I still find them useful for separating the phones from the source, which reduces cable strain. They're also nice for plugging in 1/4" plugs, which can never be easily adapted to 1/8" jacks.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you think an amp only boosts volume

You keep distorting my words. Is it easier than actually reading them?

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You seem resistant to acknowledge that I'm happy with what I hear, and that this means more to me than technical specifications. Why?

As I've said, if you need more to enjoy your music, go for it. But if a pair of phones sounds good to me, I don't worry about much else.

I've never understood why some are so ready on this site to tell others that they can't really be enjoying what they're hearing. :O)

Actually, I'm not.

But in lieu of what sort of discussion occurs on this forum, you should be cautious in trying to get others to agree with you, because, in fact, other people have tried many different amps and found a difference, and most likely will.

This includes me, albeit not with a K701.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 40
No one needs to agree with me; I'm speaking entirely from personal
experience. Do what works for you, and allow others to do the same.
This is something I've been saying on head-fi for several months now.

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #21 of 40
@ Lucky: Would seem you are telling people Amplifier makes no difference when you haven't actually used one yet. I believe Head-Fiers point is, you don't have any personal experience to be able to provide the advice you are giving.

Amazon.com: Behringer U-Control: Musical Instruments

Doesn't count in my book. Try buying a real amp and then listening to your K701s. If you still dont' think it mattered, then whatever. But until then should stay quiet about the issue until you have actually owned and listened to a proper desktop headphone amp.

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #22 of 40
Yikes! The only external headphone amp lucky has tried is the Behrigner U-Control? I have one. It sucks as a real headphone amp. It only manages to be a little better than a regular notebook headphone out, and that is if you're using a headphone like a Grado SR60. Don't try something like a Sennheiser HD600.

A reasonable amp makes a positive difference in sound quality for many of the headphones people use here.

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the original question - once I heard better headphones, I got rid of my Sony MDRs... they're ok, and good for monitoring (like for video editing, which is why I originally got them) but they're not great for music (not BAD, per se, just nothing really special), and don't really improve much with an amp of any kind. They're really designed as studio monitors, so this isn't too surprising really.

SO, I'm a person who likes a good amp and hears a benefit, but not in the case of the MDRs. The LD 1+ is a pretty nice little amp, if I were you I'd be looking at new headphones. Hope this helps.

This was just the answer I was looking for. These were my first "audiophile" headphones and while they are nice, they don't seem to "budge" from their stance. They are neutral headphones and I can respect them for that, but I'm trying to find something more responsive and musical. I've narrowed my choices down to either:

AKG K271: $145
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80: $145
JVC HA-RX900: $70

The Beyers look badass and I think I'll really be happy with them. The AKGs have the longer cable and can be recabled easily in the future. The JVCs are way cheaper and seem to be the hotness lately, so I've been itching to try those. What does everyone else think?

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx 6speed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was just the answer I was looking for. These were my first "audiophile" headphones and while they are nice, they don't seem to "budge" from their stance. They are neutral headphones and I can respect them for that, but I'm trying to find something more responsive and musical. I've narrowed my choices down to either:

AKG K271: $145
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80: $145
JVC HA-RX900: $70

The Beyers look badass and I think I'll really be happy with them. The AKGs have the longer cable and can be recabled easily in the future. The JVCs are way cheaper and seem to be the hotness lately, so I've been itching to try those. What does everyone else think?

Are you specifically in need of a closed headphone? If not you may look at some open designs in the same price range - IMO you get more for your money in open cans at this price point.

That said, of the ones you listed, personally, I like the Beyers best, but I should note that I have VERY limited experience with all of them - like a few songs each max, so take that for what it's worth. Perhaps telling us what kind of music you prefer would help.

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #26 of 40
I'm not necessarily dead-set on closed headphones, just headphones that really click with the Little Dot I+. I'm personally really leaning towards the Beyers myself, but I wouldn't mind looking at open headphones at the ~150 price range. I like listening to indie, rock, alternative, and 70s/80s rock. Once in a while I throw on a hip-hop/r&b track.

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #28 of 40
I have a pair of Beyer DT770 PROs (250 ohm) and they absolutely rock with my Little Dot II++. Man, does that little tube amp make these cans sing!

You'll read a LOT of criticism of the Beyer DT770 PROs around here, re. too-strong bass, however I don't find this to be the case, at all. To my ears, they simply produce a bass range of which most headphones are completely incapable.

I don't think they're necessarily the best set of cans for classical, but for rock, electronica, and even bluegrass, they absolutely smoke, especially when paired with a warm and creamy LD amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #29 of 40
Well I think I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Grado. Certainly not for everyone but to me they are tough to beat for rock, and have excellent bang for the buck. They also pair very well with my Little Dot (the MKIII) and I've heard the same about the 1+. Admittedly the comfort leave something to be desired but the sound is pretty special.

I think you'd be happy with the Beyers, too given your preferences, and they are VERY comfy.

I'm sure others will have some thoughts as well. Best of luck!

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 40
I pretty much enjoy the LD I+ with my grado sr225. I listen to metal, jazz, classical,...

As someone else stated here, don't expect an amplifier to make wonders with your music. You will have to give some time to your ears to like the sound signature.

An amplifier is designed to "amplify" the output signal, nothing else. However just amplifying the signal is not possible without giving some coloration. Due to the way in which tubes work, they give some distortion to the music you might like. To appreciate those changes you might prefer other headphones.

I myself keep using the stock op-amp and tubes (6J1). I didn't experience much of a change, till I realized the distortion that the tubes give made some music more bearable. At the moment I am looking for other tubes, to see if I can experience any change in the sound signature, as I have gotten used to the (6J1) tubes.

Oh, and just to make sure, if you finish buying other headphones, don't expect to hear massive changes. The possible changes might be subtle, or it might happen the same thing. The important thing is that now that you have bought the LD I+ that you enjoy it as best as possible.

Oh and for the ones who mentioned the Behringer UCA 202 being an amplifier you are completely wrong. It is not an amplifier, it is an external sound card...
It will help a lot with the SQ if you are using the computer as a source.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back