Sony MDREX71SL thoughts and opinions
Jun 5, 2005 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
I've tried to do some testing with these in-ear phones, although I can't admit to having a good source or amp at all. My feelings on these phones is that they tend to provide a lot of bass that feels somewhat controlled and consistent but becomes muddier with lower and lower frequencies. Sometimes, the highs can seem annoying and fatiguing as it may feel a bit like something is screeching in your ear. I also believe that the highs seem to be somewhat emphasized. Switching to different headphones on my mp3 player generally reveals that I need to use the equalizer to lower the treble. I don't have much to comment on the mids other than that they seem alright -- not overemphasized.

My current cheap setup is SBLive! Value --> EX71SL.

What do other people that have used these in-ear phones think?

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
I've tried to do some testing with these in-ear phones, although I can't admit to having a good source or amp at all. My feelings on these phones is that they tend to provide a lot of bass that feels somewhat controlled and consistent but becomes muddier with lower and lower frequencies. Sometimes, the highs can seem annoying and fatiguing as it may feel a bit like something is screeching in your ear. I also believe that the highs seem to be somewhat emphasized. Switching to different headphones on my mp3 player generally reveals that I need to use the equalizer to lower the treble. I don't have much to comment on the mids other than that they seem alright -- not overemphasized.

My current cheap setup is SBLive! Value --> EX71SL.

What do other people that have used these in-ear phones think?

I prefer the Koss The Plugs WITH (and only with) EQ adjustments (Creative Zen Micro EQ setting, "Acoustic" works wonders with The Plug). Better isolation I think, which is why I use in-ear phones while commuting. I use my brand new Koss KSC-75's for regular use now.
biggrin.gif

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 16
Generally, unless you're a basshead, the consensus is that the EX71 isn't all that great... That being said, my own pair - I put (as a conservative estimate) 2000hrs on them before I retired them, and the treble all but disappeared, and the bass smoothed off, allowing the mids to come to the fore...

There are a lot of people that have these 'phones though, so - so long as you like them (minus your criticisms) then just - enjoy the music - they get 'better' with age
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Generally, unless you're a basshead, the consensus is that the EX71 isn't all that great... That being said, my own pair - I put (as a conservative estimate) 2000hrs on them before I retired them, and the treble all but disappeared, and the bass smoothed off, allowing the mids to come to the fore...

There are a lot of people that have these 'phones though, so - so long as you like them (minus your criticisms) then just - enjoy the music - they get 'better' with age
smily_headphones1.gif

How much burn-in time does it usually require to settle to the point that you just mentioned? I'm hoping it doesn't need that many hours...I probably have a couple hundred, but I never did any burn-in. I just listened to it from the get-go. I honestly agree with you about the bass, but for comparison's sake, when I switched to my Labtec Elite-840s (yes I know -- cheap cans), I noticed that they were a lot more pleasing to listen to on certain songs (although the 840 seemed to have mids that weren't as smooth -- I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing). I'm just wondering here if my small review of the Sony in-ear matches what most people think.

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 16
Cynlix...

Yes, your opinion is pretty much run of the mill i'm afraid.

I'm not really able to answer your question specifically though, the best I can do is tell you that when I first got my EX71 I also had a pair of EX70, and the treble of the 71s sounded VERY unnatural compared to the 70s when listening to my Sony SRF-M95 radio (that was all I used to listen to at the time) and it took about a month or so of semi-regular listening (1.5-3 hours per day) for that unnatural treble comparison to go away... I would assume that is when the treble started to fade away... and the bass? I really can't answer at all as to when that started to calm down...

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 16
The EX71's are much-maligned, but, for what they are, they do the job. Cheap isolating buds with a lot of punch for certain music. For a little more money, you can get the Shure E2C's and you'll have a MUCH better headphone.

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
The EX71's are much-maligned, but, for what they are, they do the job. Cheap isolating buds with a lot of punch for certain music. For a little more money, you can get the Shure E2C's and you'll have a MUCH better headphone.

Do you think the difference coming from Sony's 828 earbuds to the MDREX71SL will be as great as going from the EX71SL to the Shure e3C or e4C?

Quote:

Cynlix...

Yes, your opinion is pretty much run of the mill i'm afraid.

I'm not really able to answer your question specifically though, the best I can do is tell you that when I first got my EX71 I also had a pair of EX70, and the treble of the 71s sounded VERY unnatural compared to the 70s when listening to my Sony SRF-M95 radio (that was all I used to listen to at the time) and it took about a month or so of semi-regular listening (1.5-3 hours per day) for that unnatural treble comparison to go away... I would assume that is when the treble started to fade away... and the bass? I really can't answer at all as to when that started to calm down...

Oh good, I just needed to hear that my ears weren't totally strange or my opinions radically different from what most people would think. To be honest, I'm starting to get the impression that this is as far as sound quality goes (the sony buds) because I've never really heard better nor can I picture it in my head. I hope that is untrue and that sooner or later when I splash out some money for better earbuds, I'll notice the difference.

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 16
Never heard the 828's so I cannot comment on your inquiry. The E888's certainly sound better than the EX71's but do not offer any isolation, but are easily powered by weedy headphone amps.

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 16
Contensius as it is, I - and others, would argue that the EX81 is better sounding than the EX71... then, you have the Etymotics / Shures etc etc of this world...

There is a whole long way to go until you reach the top of the pile (if you ever can) - If you're not interested in spending $$$ / £££ / €€€ or whatever, and can learn to live with the EX71 - then more power to you, for my portable listening, I had my pair for two years, and got plenty of enjoyment out of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Contensius as it is, I - and others, would argue that the EX81 is better sounding than the EX71... then, you have the Etymotics / Shures etc etc of this world...

There is a whole long way to go until you reach the top of the pile (if you ever can) - If you're not interested in spending $$$ / £££ / €€€ or whatever, and can learn to live with the EX71 - then more power to you, for my portable listening, I had my pair for two years, and got plenty of enjoyment out of them
smily_headphones1.gif

But I'll suspect you recommending the Philips
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 16
as much as i am going to get flamed, im going to share what i think.

i have used both the shure e2c (friends), and my own pair of ex71's.

i love the bass on the 71's. although the shure e2c really does isolate (which may be a pro / con depending on your situation). the 71's i can just slip into my ears, but the e2c will take some time to get used to. the cabling on the e2c really does feel strong and makes my 71's look like a pre-mature baby.

if you like bass the 71's are the way to go, if not e2cs are just as good if not better.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrobenoob
as much as i am going to get flamed, im going to share what i think.

i have used both the shure e2c (friends), and my own pair of ex71's.

i love the bass on the 71's. although the shure e2c really does isolate (which may be a pro / con depending on your situation). the 71's i can just slip into my ears, but the e2c will take some time to get used to. the cabling on the e2c really does feel strong and makes my 71's look like a pre-mature baby.

if you like bass the 71's are the way to go, if not e2cs are just as good if not better.

You won't get flamed, I'm sure. The e2cs are sonically superior to the ex71s. I've been listening to a lot of vocal and instrumental music on-the-go lately, so isolation has been a must for me - in order to hear the most detail possible with as low volume as possible. If I was in the mood for some hard-hitting pop-rock, rap, or trance where vocals aren't the main point of listening the ex71s are definitely still more fun - and the loud beats etc. will make up for the loss of isolation.

-and yea, it takes me 10x longer to get the shures on. ex = slip slip, done.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
But I'll suspect you recommending the Philips
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Funnily enough... No...

They're very fussy with the fit - it works for me, but not for everyone... whereas, the Sonys are pretty universal with their fit / seal / sound...

rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

That being said, my own pair - I put (as a conservative estimate) 2000hrs on them before I retired them, and the treble all but disappeared, and the bass smoothed off, allowing the mids to come to the fore...

Same here, I used the EX71s for about 18 months and they got a lot better - but picking up a pair of Panasonics (RP-HJE50, can be had for the same price if not cheaper) they just blow the Sonys out of the water for sound, and aesthetically are almost identical. I can't recommend the Sony's anymore to anyone now I've discovered the Panasonics.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 16
For the price, I love them... Ou of the box there is a lot of bass but after burning them in they get smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back