Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Mar 20, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #316 of 392
Soooo, I am finally testing the 1ABT, for now without LDAC.
Good, much better than any other Sony which I have tried till now.
Very few veil, no muddiness, natural, balanced, pleasant, very comfortable and light, cool.
They do not get loud enough for me, I could never have them as only headphone, or I will suffer in those moments when I need POWER.
But they are ok.
Their bass too, ok, but nowhere near to any basshead wish, and does not respond well to EQ (does not respond at all, to be honest. Or, very little).

I wonder, do they too need to be setup like the other Sony, with a combination of buttons at the startup, to switch from low quality mode to standard to high quality?

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #318 of 392
No. I ignored such infamous limit.
I do not like people to put limits on my loudness. Or on my anything.
Awesomeness does not accept limits
ph34r.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #319 of 392
  No. I ignored such infamous limit.
I do not like people to put limits on my loudness. Or on my anything.
Awesomeness does not accept limits
ph34r.gif

I have Tinnitus from going to a VERY LOUD club here in NYC to check out Steve Lawler back in 2010. If you like loudness, I would seriously suggest you ease up on it or else you'll end up in my shoes. It sucks, trust me!

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #320 of 392
  Soooo, I am finally testing the 1ABT, for now without LDAC.
Good, much better than any other Sony which I have tried till now.
Very few veil, no muddiness, natural, balanced, pleasant, very comfortable and light, cool.
They do not get loud enough for me, I could never have them as only headphone, or I will suffer in those moments when I need POWER.
But they are ok.
Their bass too, ok, but nowhere near to any basshead wish, and does not respond well to EQ (does not respond at all, to be honest. Or, very little).

I wonder, do they too need to be setup like the other Sony, with a combination of buttons at the startup, to switch from low quality mode to standard to high quality?

What did you try it with?
With Xperia Z2 and A15, it's loud enough for me.  I've tried to use it on max volume, but it's just too loud 
jecklinsmile.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #321 of 392
  If you like loudness, I would seriously suggest you ease up on it or else you'll end up in my shoes. It sucks, trust me!

I do not listen all time at max volume, but there are some moments when I am in a given mood and I want to listen to EDM & Co at max vol for a while.
If a headphones does not allow me that, it will never be my life's companion. Just a sidekick.

What did you try it with?

Notebook with Foobar, everything at max volume.
Notebooks are generally (much) louder than mobile phones.
Maybe it depends on the original gain of the music we listen to?
I personally use Replay Gain (standard values of Foobar) and my music sounds plenty of loud, at least with all other BT headphones (you may see that the Sony is not my first BT headphone, and in this moment I have quite a few models here, and the Sony are the quietest of all).
With RG all music have the same perceived Loudness. Some would sound louder than before, some quieter.
Without RG one would have some very loud and some very quiet music.
As said, with all other headphones I have no problem. Only with the Sony.

Anyway, I'll keep testing.

But can't anybody tell me if here too (like on the 1RBT) there are three quality-modes which can be changed?

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #324 of 392
Hi Guys, I bought these headphones and they are great. I have an iPhone 6 and I am listening with aptx transmitter plugged into my iPhone.

my set up is:

iPhone 6 + aukey 

My understanding is that the iPhone will use AAC over Bluetooth if it can (and in this case it will). I find it hard to believe that converting to analog, then back to digital via a cheap device and then transmitting Aptx is going to enhance anything.
I have one of those transmitters in the house though so I may give it a try.

These headphones are great though. Only real criticisms are the build quality (held some Senn Urbanites the other day and they just feel so much nicer) and slight hiss from the internal amp. Also the slight delay when using with video but I don't think that's the fault of the headphones per-se.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #325 of 392
hi, i like the sound quality with this transmitter. Hey, btw, I phone doesn't use any codec as its bluettoh is inactive. I use transmitter's bluettoth instead. It takes the music from 3.5 mm jack (I listen TIDAL) and transmit with aptx to the headphones. However I am planning to change my phone and the only phone with LDAC is Sony Xperia Z5 and Z3. I am waiting for Xperia X Performance.

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #327 of 392
Hey guys,

interested in the 1ABT. I was wondering about 2 things:

1. Does anyone have the 1ABT and the Sennheiser HD-25 II and could do a quick comparison? I have the HD-25 but they're failing. I want to go wireless but I don't want to downgrade my sound quality :)

2. Is the noise isolation good enough for use outdoors, commuting etc.?

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #328 of 392
Hey guys,

interested in the 1ABT. I was wondering about 2 things:

1. Does anyone have the 1ABT and the Sennheiser HD-25 II and could do a quick comparison? I have the HD-25 but they're failing. I want to go wireless but I don't want to downgrade my sound quality :)

2. Is the noise isolation good enough for use outdoors, commuting etc.?

Hey, had the Amperior and the MDR1ABT. Pretty much chose to give up the Amperior as a result of owning the MDR 1abt. But isolation not as good as Amperior. Then again the Amperior achieves is isolation as a result of the clamping force....

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #329 of 392
Hey, had the Amperior and the MDR1ABT. Pretty much chose to give up the Amperior as a result of owning the MDR 1abt. But isolation not as good as Amperior. Then again the Amperior achieves is isolation as a result of the clamping force....

Cool thanks :) I hope I get the chance to test the Sony but that sounds great already. I use the velour pads with the HD-25s so I already don't get the full isolation it could achieve. I do sometimes feel like the clamping force is a little uncomfortable so the Sony could be a nice change. Does it feel considerably heavier than the Sennheisers? Specs say it's double the weight (140 vs 300 grams)

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #330 of 392
  Cool thanks :) I hope I get the chance to test the Sony but that sounds great already. I use the velour pads with the HD-25s so I already don't get the full isolation it could achieve. I do sometimes feel like the clamping force is a little uncomfortable so the Sony could be a nice change. Does it feel considerably heavier than the Sennheisers? Specs say it's double the weight (140 vs 300 grams)

I tried the MDR-1ABT briefly today, as well as the new h.ear on MDR-100ABN. I must say I was initially disappointed, the 1ABT sound boomy and way too heavy on the lows compared to my HD-25 II. But with some EQ, they actually sounded quite decent. Sadly the environment was very noisy (large store) so it was very hard to really tell how good the SQ was. I noticed some white noise when playing from my HTC m8 over Bluetooth. The MDR-100ABN sounded quite similar in quality to the MDR-1 but with less of the boomy bass. Stock, they seem to be much more balanced. I wasn't able to tell which had better SQ once I EQ'd the MDR1 to be more balanced (I love the analytical sound of the HD-25 II) but the MDR-100ABN is 100 USD more where I live so the MDR-1ABT seems like the better choice. I'm still worried I'll miss the HD-25 II though, so I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the Sonys. I may just get a new pair of HD-25 II or T51p or even a Fidelio M1 mk ii for a little something different. Or maybe the Fidelio M2BT. For reference, the prices here:

HD-25 II - 209
T51p - 209
MDR-1ABT - 209
Fidelio M1MKII - 160
Fidelio M2BT - 235

Tell ya one thing though - in that store the NFC was a HUGE bonus. The Sony were the only wireless headphones I could test (wanted to try the Momentum 2 as well) but all the others without NFC were impossible to identify on my phone in the sea of bluetooth devices in that store
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back