Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Sep 8, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #2,283 of 2,440
Does anyone know how to replace the earpads for the MDR-Z7M2 ? I read that the ear pads are not user replaceable but I find they hard to believe and I can't find any videos or instructions on how to remove them.
They are hard to remove, and you can't install a new ones easily

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #2,284 of 2,440
Does anyone know how to replace the earpads for the MDR-Z7M2 ? I read that the ear pads are not user replaceable but I find they hard to believe and I can't find any videos or instructions on how to remove them.
They are easy to remove.

There is one tiny screw that holds the plastic locking piece in place. Once that's removed you can twist and it comes off. Then remove the earpads from the plastic ring.

You need to be very careful when removing the plastic locking rings and reinstalling them. Dont force it, it has to line up, use the screw hole to estimate where to line it up and it should slide in smoothly.

First time i accidentally misaligned it and had to bend the plasti a little to get it off.

Since then i probably removed it over 100x.

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #2,285 of 2,440
Why not go to sony and ask them to service it with new pads, they should offer it as it's their premium product

Sep 8, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #2,286 of 2,440
They are hard to remove, and you can't install a new ones easily
That is so unfortunate. I love those headphones and I actually prefer them to tht Z1R but the fact that the ear pads are not user replaceable creates such a long t headache
They are easy to remove.

There is one tiny screw that holds the plastic locking piece in place. Once that's removed you can twist and it comes off. Then remove the earpads from the plastic ring.

You need to be very careful when removing the plastic locking rings and reinstalling them. Dont force it, it has to line up, use the screw hole to estimate where to line it up and it should slide in smoothly.

First time i accidentally misaligned it and had to bend the plasti a little to get it off.

Since then i probably removed it over 100x.
This is really great news. Would you happen to have a link to a video or a picture of where the screws are located for reference? Is it a regular screw or a specialized screw?

Sep 8, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #2,287 of 2,440
Why not go to sony and ask them to service it with new pads, they should offer it as it's their premium product
I did and they said they don't repair any headphones themselves and referred me to a 3rd party service called united radio. The I called and they quoted me a flat fee of $70. Who I did the math and it would have costed somewhere in tht range of $220-$250 for replacement earpads, service and shipping. I was like this is crazy that I can't replace them myself.

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #2,288 of 2,440
That is so unfortunate. I love those headphones and I actually prefer them to tht Z1R but the fact that the ear pads are not user replaceable creates such a long t headache

This is really great news. Would you happen to have a link to a video or a picture of where the screws are located for reference? Is it a regular screw or a specialized screw?

The red circles are where the screwholes are located. I never put the screw back on and the ring has never come off.

The green circle is an estimate of where you would line up the screw hole from the ring and then twist clockwise about a half inch if even that much and it locks in place.

Any pad 100mm in diameter will fit. I dont remember exactly but I think there may be some small pieces of adhesive on the stock pads attaching it to the ring.
20220908_191126.JPG
20220908_191013(1).JPG

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #2,289 of 2,440

Curious, you mentioned you prefer the z7m2 to z1R. I have a pair of z7m2 that I am not using. Why do you prefer the z1R? Thanks

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #2,290 of 2,440
The red circles are where the screwholes are located. I never put the screw back on and the ring has never come off.

The green circle is an estimate of where you would line up the screw hole from the ring and then twist clockwise about a half inch if even that much and it locks in place.

Any pad 100mm in diameter will fit. I dont remember exactly but I think there may be some small pieces of adhesive on the stock pads attaching it to the ring.
Thank you so much this is really helpful. I now have a picture of what I'm working with and the sizes of the holes and the position of the screws. I assume the pads in the picture are not that stock pads and the ring is still attached to the driver unit in the picture and is in the proper position in the pic. Is this correct?

I'm probably going to use stock replacement pads so I would first unscrew the screw then twist off the ring with the earpad. Then remove the old earpad from the ring and then attach a new earpad to the ring then slide the ring with the new earpad back into place and then put the screw in? So basically if I plan on using that stock pads I should slide the ring and ear pad off together?

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #2,291 of 2,440
Curious, you mentioned you prefer the z7m2 to z1R. I have a pair of z7m2 that I am not using. Why do you prefer the z1R? Thanks
The MDR-Z1R is a little bigger and heavier than the Z7M2 and the latter fits my head better so it's a little bit more comfortable. Sound wise that Z1R is a little too warm and laid back than I would like. Technically the Z1R are better in almost every way but there is just something about the Z1R that doesn't compatible to my ears. I did back to back listening test and personally like that Z7M2 much more.

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #2,292 of 2,440
The MDR-Z1R is a little bigger and heavier than the Z7M2 and the latter fits my head better so it's a little bit more comfortable. Sound wise that Z1R is a little too warm and laid back than I would like. Technically the Z1R are better in almost every way but there is just something about the Z1R that doesn't compatible to my ears. I did back to back listening test and personally like that Z7M2 much more.
Appreciate your input. Having and using the z7m2 (during the beginning of Covid) I wanted to upgrade and was going back and forth between z1R and Audeze LCD-XC 2021. Not being able to listen to either I ended up getting the Audeze. But am still curious about the z1R. Something about the Sony house sonic signature I really like.

Sep 9, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #2,293 of 2,440
Thank you so much this is really helpful. I now have a picture of what I'm working with and the sizes of the holes and the position of the screws. I assume the pads in the picture are not that stock pads and the ring is still attached to the driver unit in the picture and is in the proper position in the pic. Is this correct?

I'm probably going to use stock replacement pads so I would first unscrew the screw then twist off the ring with the earpad. Then remove the old earpad from the ring and then attach a new earpad to the ring then slide the ring with the new earpad back into place and then put the screw in? So basically if I plan on using that stock pads I should slide the ring and ear pad off together?
Yeah they're aftermarket sheepskin pads, I did not like the Sony pads, they are some kind of synthetic leather that gets really hot.

Yes, to remove the screw you have to pull the earpad back a little. Then just twist and remove, remove the earpad and place new one on.

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #2,294 of 2,440
Yeah they're aftermarket sheepskin pads, I did not like the Sony pads, they are some kind of synthetic leather that gets really hot.

Yes, to remove the screw you have to pull the earpad back a little. Then just twist and remove, remove the earpad and place new one on.
Yea totally agree. That stock pads get hot and sticky. I've noticed that the Z1R has different ear pads that don't get as hot. Thanka for that input and I have a much better understanding of what I'm working with.

Sep 28, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #2,295 of 2,440
Where did you get your sheepskin Pads ?
Aliexpress link ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back