Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Mar 10, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #2,101 of 2,440
I have no issue swaying with the beat wearing the OG Z7M1. Sony did a great job with this series :man_dancing:
I love all of them. The Z7M2 are my relaxing headphones. So gentle for me

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #2,103 of 2,440
Yes, very good ergonomics and build quality. I hope Sony keeps this series alive well into the future. I would like to see future models have a removable and replaceable headband cushion so it can be replaced after it's flattened out.

Well, for Z7M2 it is removable/replaceable.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #2,106 of 2,440
I think you're incorrect. The earpads are removable, not the headband cushion which should be sewn in.

Got it, I was thinking of the earpads.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #2,107 of 2,440
Hello everyone,

I know it is a little off subject but I am looking for advice from any or all of you. I would like to know your opinion about the Sony Z7M2 verses the Sony z1r. I read that replacing the stock pads with a pair of quality perforated pads really improves the z7m2.
1. Does anyone know if this is true? More importantly I can buy the z7m2 for $590 new. The z1r will cost $1490. For me at least that is a lot of money. 2. Do you think the z1r headphones are worth the extra $900?
All opinions welcomed and deeply appreciated.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #2,108 of 2,440
Hello everyone,

I know it is a little off subject but I am looking for advice from any or all of you. I would like to know your opinion about the Sony Z7M2 verses the Sony z1r. I read that replacing the stock pads with a pair of quality perforated pads really improves the z7m2.
1. Does anyone know if this is true? More importantly I can buy the z7m2 for $590 new. The z1r will cost $1490. For me at least that is a lot of money. 2. Do you think the z1r headphones are worth the extra $900?
I cannot comment on MDR-Z7M2 vs Z1R, I have not heard the Z1R but would love to experience them. After sales tax the Z1R are about $1000 more, so I can understand your curiosity and concern because of the price difference.

As for the pads I can give you my experience. I went off of 2 or so different people (one being a Youtuber) that suggested the pads in the pics I provided. The pics are of my MDR-Z7M2 cans. These are Sheepskin (leather) 100mm diameter pads I purchased from AliExpress. I liked them enough that I just purchased another pair. 1st pair cost me like $22 shipped, 2nd pair $21 shipped. They fit over the stock rings the stock pads are mounted to. I did remove (cut out) the center dust cloth piece that is on each pad so they are like the originals. As you can see in the pic the Sheepskin pads are thicker (stock pad in the middle), and the Sheepskin pads change the angle a little with how your ear faces the driver. To my ears what these pads do is reduce the peak that is around 10Khz and tighten the bass a bit and adds a bit of definition to bass frequencies. I have read several people postulate that the extra depth of the Sheepskin pad gives the bass more distance (or time I cannot remember) to form. I do not know the reason, I just know what I hear. Here is a new link to the pads I purchased: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6c144c4dsa9A4r

As a hobby I like to tinker, tweak and mod all my audio gear, just to see what can be improved on. Sony MDR-Z7M2 can perform extremely well if tweaked a bit. If you are interested on the topic see my posts within the last 10 pages (I think) of this thread starting with my first impressions. I basically did 4 things, 1) pad replacement, 2) filtered ear cups, 3) minimized vibration by about 95%, 4) EQ, and 5) replaced stock cable.

Attachments

• Sony MDR-Z7M2 stock vs lambskin pads.jpg
    Sony MDR-Z7M2 stock vs lambskin pads.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #2,110 of 2,440

I'd steer clear of this product. The reviews are all fake according to Review Meta analysis.

https://reviewmeta.com/amazon/B07SH6V4LM

First of all there's only 2 actual reviews. The third is just a rating which are always suspect. One of the two reviews was by what Review Meta calls a 'One Hit Wonder', an account with only one review. These are usually burner accounts that product promoters use to leave a paid-for fake review. The second review is from an account with at least one 'Deleted review'. This means the account holder has had a review deleted from Amazon.com because Amazon found it to be fraudulent or suspicious. So there are no legitimate reviews for these ear cushions and the company is abusing Amazon policy by paying for planted shill reviews. I would never buy anything of theirs.

I would also point out that these cushions have a mesh screen along the back. This will definitely change the sound for the worse. The Z7 will end up sounding darker and veiled if you add another layer of mesh in front of the driver. These headphones already have rolled off or subdued top ends to begin with. These cushions would only exacerbate this characteristic.

I recommend buying OEM. Not this copy cat product.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #2,111 of 2,440
Wow thank you.
Where can I get OEM pads for Z7M2?

Mar 23, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #2,115 of 2,440
Hello everyone,

I love my z1r. My fav headphone of all time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back