Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Feb 12, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #2,056 of 2,440
UPDATE: I thought this was the Z7 thread. But I think my warning about the fragility of the headband cushion cover may still apply. Be gentle with your Zs!

I can't believe people try to EQ the Z7. I love the sound in it's stock state... 2 years ago I did mull the possibility of modding them. Even downloaded the voluminous PDF mod manual from the mod thread. But my concerns with the sound sig evaporated in due time. I've grown to love the Z7's meaty bass. I listen to a variety of classical music, both orchestal and chamber, with a heavy tilt towards the contemporary. The Z7 is major step up from the popular HD600/650 for this genre which is all the impressive since the Senn cans have always been heavily recommend for classical. The Z7 in contrast to the Senns has much wider sound stage, more resolving sound, more palpable low frequency impact, and the mids are more balanced with the lows and highs. I haven't suffered any tinnitus effects with the Z7 which was a problem with the HD600.

Just a heads up here. A couple months ago I accidentally damaged the headband cuahion cover while cleaning off lint. I'm referring to the matte black underside covering that feels like pleather, not the seen on leather cover on the top of the headband. I was using some tape to pull off lint. Been doing it for over 3 years but on this fateful day the tape pulled off a patch of the black covering. It was a small patch but it exposed the foam underneath which btw is a gray polyurethane foam. I took a black sharpie and colored the foam and it pretty much now blends in with the cover. But I'm still kicking myself for the cosmetic screwup. So be careful with this part of the headphone. It's not real leather. The ear cushion material and the top of the headband are genuine leather. I wrongly assumed that the underside headband material was as well.

Oh and I've noticed that Sony discontinued the OEM balanced cable from it's spare parts store, Encompass. They replaced it with the Z7M2's right-angle 4mm terminated cable.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #2,058 of 2,440
I own the Z7M2 for 3 years now and for sure, it is really enjoyable as it is, but ...... ! Probably among the best closed headphones for many. Though, definitely, some lowering of low and ultra low frequencies can make the Z7M2 a bit more detailed and improved with "clearer/faster impacts" => I would say, it's worth to try, at least for people not really fan of any Vshape or WShape. .

Some adjustments of the low frequencies, can also improve mid-frequencies and make them a bit less back of the stage.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #2,059 of 2,440
As you know the bass response will in part be due to the housing and other design parameters so equalization may get you something similar, but not likely the same. I suspect you know that.
I know. Especially given the fact that the TH-X00 Ebony have wooden cups and not the Sonys.

I'm just trying to have a deeper, more impactful bass. I love the TH-X00 but they leak too much sound to be used out and about.

I can't believe people try to EQ the Z7. I love the sound in it's stock state...
Well, that's the beauty of this hobby: everyone is free to use their gear the way they enjoy it. I don't think it's wrong to EQ any headphones IMO.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #2,060 of 2,440
Ghisy, if you want to improve the bass response, mid bass down to sub bass and and improve the entire headphone performance do the following:

1st) surgical tape (3M micropore) mod like I did or like many did to their MDR-M7. This mod helps with with sound wave interference off the back cup, similar to what is in many headphones like the acoustic filter in the MDR Z1R. Cost about $8 for the surgical tape at your local Walmart or Target. This mod is reversible but I highly doubt you will remove this mod. Use two layers and avoid the ports. Change in sonics (for my pair): full frequency spectrum is more coherent. Sub bass to mid bass is tighter and more defined, meaning more detailed. Sub bass boominess is lessened. Only tool needed to perform this mod is a small Philips screw driver.

2nd) f.o.q T-102 mod like I did. Removes 95+% of vibration from the entire headphone and cable connection. Absolutely transforms the MDR-Z7M2 in everyway. Literally transforms the headphones into a different class. No more crosstalk between channels, the smearing that occurs with the tuned up bass is gone. All frequencies of the MDR-Z7M2 are improved and the bass, oh boy... tight, goes deep, is articulate into sub bass and allows the MDR-Z7M2 to hit like a high end powered sub if you want it to (assuming you have enough power and headroom from your amp and EQ is used). All of this without effecting the mid to higher frequencies. Read what I wrote on page 136 when I discovered this. I was thinking of trying but have not tried using the T-52 black tape which is thinner and less obvious on the exterior of the headphone. This mod is also reversible, and again doubt you will remove it after hearing what this mod does. f.o.Q purchased in the US is expensive (about $120) but can be purchased from eBay by Japan venders for about $60-$70 shipped. What is cool about f.o.Q tape is that it can be used on so many things for audio like cables, power, gear chassis, caps and the list goes on and on. You can read reviews about the f.o.Q tape by users on Audio Asylum (search in tweaks section). This mod uses very little of this dampening tape. No joke, this stuff is awesome for audio applications.

3rd) If all you have is a onboard DAP EQ, just play around with how it sounds, adjust to your liking from 300hz down. I have found that the MDR-Z7M2 takes to EQ extremely well. I think most people if they saw how I EQ for EDM would not believe it. Stock the MDR-Z7M2 can be EQ adjusted to have powerful bass but will muddy up all the frequencies (including all bass) which results in a loss of detail, sound stage, PRAT and so on.

With the first two mods above at any listenable volume level have I not heard the bass bottom out. I love these headphones and my setup now. Literally my pair of MDR-Z7M2 headphones have been transformed into a different class. Good luck and if you do perform the mods please share your experience. Peace.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,062 of 2,440
Wow! I purchased the Sony MDRZ7M2 and am more than pleased. Closed back headphones have so many more uses in general. The Sony’s have been connect to my NAD Monitor series 1600 and are showing me that they can create a wonderful image as well as very realistic natural timbres from instruments. As an avid Grado man, I am used to that treatment. I was very happy that the 7m2 can do it also. I also use it with a Yamaha receiver and have tried the IFI zen Dac. The latter was not my favorite. I listen to rock, classical, acoustic blues , fusion jazz. The Sony’s deliver a sonically pleasing experience. They are enjoyable to wear.

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,063 of 2,440
The Z7M2 is working great with a Schiit Magni 2U amp here, and I'm sure a Magni 3 would sound just as good. I love the sound.

Old comment but I just wanted to mention that I had a Magni 3 and it was slightly too bright with my Z7. Ended up selling the Magni off because of ear pain.

I wish there was more information in this thread about sources and amplifier synergies with the Z7M2. I searched the thread for any mention of the Asgard 3 and nothing came up. Just one example of how scant this sort of information is on this thread.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #2,064 of 2,440
Old comment but I just wanted to mention that I had a Magni 3 and it was slightly too bright with my Z7. Ended up selling the Magni off because of ear pain.

I wish there was more information in this thread about sources and amplifier synergies with the Z7M2. I searched the thread for any mention of the Asgard 3 and nothing came up. Just one example of how scant this sort of information is on this thread.
Both versions of Z7s have spikes in high-mid and treble zones so that I tend to avoid "cold" DAC such as ESS one which might make sound brighter and hash. I prefer warm sources for my Z7s: modded walkman, burrbrown dac, and class-A/tube amp.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #2,065 of 2,440
Here is my thoughts after 40 hours or so with the MDR-Z7M2 and what I found effects the performance of these headphones. I wanted a good pair of closed back headphones for my home office that I can play at any volume if I want for late night Netflix or audio. After exhaustive reading I decided to pick up a pair of MDR-Z7M2. This was not a need, but I thought would be a fun project. I am more familiar with higher end home systems (theater and 2 channel), only vaguely familiar with headphone setups. I have listened to friends (only way lately because of Covid) Focal closed back (lower priced one), Audeze LCD2 Closed back and a Sennheiser HD820, neither wowed me or made me want to buy them. I now wish I could try the Sony Z1R.

After a few minor tweaks (see below) and for the price these headphones are very impressive. Originally after getting the MDR-Z7M2 I tried them from a iPhone 12 Mini and desktop PC with Audioquest Dragonfly Red, Cobalt, Ikko Zerda and straight from a iPhone 12 Mini and straight from the PC ASUS motherboard Realtek headphone output. Source being mainly Tidal (iPhone and PC) and Netflix (PC). Also tried using Motherboard DAC to a Grado RA-1 and a upgraded Grado RA-1 clone amps. Felt the headphones had potential and ended up with this setup: Source being mainly Tidal and Netflix from PC -> APO (Peace) EQ -> USB (will try toslink soon) to Schiit Modius -> Musical Fidelity X-10v3 (fully upgraded) tube line stage/buffer -> Schiit Asgard 3 -> MDR-Z7M2. I included a pic of the setup.

Here is what I found so far to make the biggest difference in regards to performance of these headphones (not in any specific order of importance):

1) EQ! From factory without EQ for me the frequency response was too flat. There is a peak in the 3K - 4K region that needs to be managed and below 200hz to 20hz needs boosting. When EQ is used these cans in lower to sub bass can emulate a powered sub in a home system without bleeding into mid base and midrange region. Basically it feels like I have a JL Audio powered sub on each side if I want, this transforms these headphones for me. The MDR-Z7M2 take to EQ well.

2) To tighten the bass and get more bass articulation from the MDR-Z7M2, inside of the ear cups need to be filtered or surgical taped like in the mods used on the MDR-Z7. I tried using a few different material like coffee machine filters and such and ended up using 3M Micropore surgical tape I picked up at Target. This tweak will make the overall presentation more coherent, slightly better separation of all sounds and get rid of the boominess in the sub bass. By the way, after the pad is removed 8 small phillip head screws secure the back cups.

3) I changed the stock pads for larger, more angled sheepskin pads. Purchased from AliExpress, took 20 days to arrive after ordering and was about $22. Changing the pad is easy, one small phillips head screw per pad and the pads turn and pop off. These are the 100mm pads found here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.426d4c4dzZ5xGE
And actually this YouTuber nailed it when he was describing what the pad change does:

4) The stock cable works, is flexible and is 10'. The stock cable holds these headphone back. I have a decent amount of experience with cables used in higher end resolving gear but not headphone cables. So the design is a tad of a guess but the sonic results were excellent, huge difference compared to the stock cable. For those who care, I used a Furutech 1/4" plug and gold plated copper mini plugs, WBT solder (FYI Cardas Quad Eutectic will give a slightly warmer signature vs WBT), JPS Labs Alumiloy 22ga. stranded conductors, 18ga. teflon tubes, twisted pairs, one for each channel. Then teflon tape wrapped the twisted pairs before inserting into techflex. This is where I realize after I should of used Fiberglass cloth sleeving instead of the techflex. The techflex if rubbed will be slightly microphonic. I may just order the Fiberglass sleeving from Sonic Craft and replace the techflex. Compared to stock cable sounds much more organic or real and natural. Way more micro and macro detail, vocals are not recessed like they were before, the difference between the cables are not subtle.

5) The MDR-Z7M2 can be run off a phone or a portable amp/dac like a Dragonfly but to really hear the potential of these headphones they need power. Performance will scale well with better amp and dacs, to what level I am not sure. As a side, it is clear to me that although good sounding inexpensive headphone amp and dacs are available they do not control EMI or RFI as well as higher end gear. These lower priced amps and dacs like the Schiit Audio stack I have perform astoundingly well for the money "after" EMI and RFI is addressed. Still tinkering with this.

Great headphones for the money, especially after 1-5 above.

I think your Aliexpress link for the earpads are dead. In any event I wouldn't buy non-OEM pads and the products on Aliexpress are generally junk.

The YouTuber you referenced is a shameless shill. Companies send him samples. He raves about their products - Every.Single.Product. Understand my point?

Anyways nice to read a review of Z7M2 driven by an Asgard 3. I was under the impression that the Asgard 3 would have too much juice for the Z7. Leaving little volume control play. That was the case for me with the Magni 3 which had a similar 15dB bump for high gain. If anything I would expect the Asgard 3 volume granularity to be even more compromised with the A3 becau6 of its additional power output. But perhaps you're using the A3 on 0dB gain or attenuating the audio signal with your tube buffer.

Your modifications to the Z7M2 and EQ'ing seem a little neurotic. Each headphone has it's own character that should be appreciated. You don't buy a roadster and then try to tame it into being the family car.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #2,066 of 2,440
Both versions of Z7s have spikes in high-mid and treble zones so that I tend to avoid "cold" DAC such as ESS one which might make sound brighter and hash. I prefer warm sources for my Z7s: modded walkman, burrbrown dac, and class-A/tube amp.

That's true. The upper mids sound boosted on the Z7. The Magni 3 has a mid forward sound, at least to my ears. The DAC I was using had a Burr Brown chip which didn't seem to mitigate the upper mid edginess with the Magni. However a fully class A discrete amplifier I had prior to the Magni was a very good match for the Z7.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #2,067 of 2,440

Everyone's ears are different. The original Z7 might have worked better for you in that case. I found the Z7 warm to the point of muddiness, and I've found the Z7M2 just right, with my Magni 2U and also with a Magni 3 that I got since posting that old comment, as well with as other amps. (My DACs are AKM based for that warm "Velvet Sound" as well.)

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,068 of 2,440
Everyone's ears are different. The original Z7 might have worked better for you in that case. I found the Z7 warm to the point of muddiness, and I've found the Z7M2 just right, with my Magni 2U and also with a Magni 3 that I got since posting that old comment, as well with as other amps. (My DACs are AKM based for that warm "Velvet Sound" as well.)

I must have golden set of Z7 because they don't sound warm or muddy.

Feb 15, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,070 of 2,440
I think your Aliexpress link for the earpads are dead. In any event I wouldn't buy non-OEM pads and the products on Aliexpress are generally junk.

The YouTuber you referenced is a shameless shill. Companies send him samples. He raves about their products - Every.Single.Product. Understand my point?

Anyways nice to read a review of Z7M2 driven by an Asgard 3. I was under the impression that the Asgard 3 would have too much juice for the Z7. Leaving little volume control play. That was the case for me with the Magni 3 which had a similar 15dB bump for high gain. If anything I would expect the Asgard 3 volume granularity to be even more compromised with the A3 becau6 of its additional power output. But perhaps you're using the A3 on 0dB gain or attenuating the audio signal with your tube buffer.

Your modifications to the Z7M2 and EQ'ing seem a little neurotic. Each headphone has it's own character that should be appreciated. You don't buy a roadster and then try to tame it into being the family car.

The Aliexpress link works for me, just tried it. Obviously my opinion but that Youtuber like I said did describe the pad change well. The pad they sell are nice, not of poor quality and I like them better then the stock pads.

I use the high gain mode on the Asgard 3, tried both and much prefer with high gain. My usage range is between 9:30 and 12pm with main usage between 10pm and 11pm on the volume pot. Source meaning PC and EQ volume level maxed.

I buy a roadster or sports car and tune it for maximum performance. This is me, not for everyone. I spent 10 years (as a hobby) tuning, tweaking and modding my downstairs home theater and it sounds spectacular. For over 15 years I was working with several High end audio manufactures and enthusiasts beta testing and building high end cables of all kinds and power conditioners. All of my gear gets modded or tweaked to try and get the best performance possible. This is a hobby for me which I find very rewarding. I was only sharing what I found was possible with the Sony MDR-Z7M2 on the cheap. And yes when it comes to my hobbies I can go to the extremes. By sharing what I found I was just hoping it helped someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back