Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Feb 22, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #1,278 of 2,440
LOL, you got this!!!
OK, so here are my impressions so far.

- Running both on my Shanling UP4 in USB Dual DAC Mode.
- Stock cable has slightly more air, a little cleaner. Marginally better imaging and soundstage.
- Budget cable has a slightly warmer, smoother presentation.
- Budget cable is well constructed and lays well (no annoying kinks). Much easier to wear.

Overall, for $16.90, it's a great buy. It's not exactly the same in terms of SQ, but it's close and some may even prefer the slightly warmer, more intimate sound. Keep in mind, we're not talking drastic sound difference, merely minor variations to the core sound. To put it in perspective, the physical benefits of using this wire, for me, outweigh any sonic benefits of using the cumbersome 3.5mm stock cable.

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #1,279 of 2,440
OK, so here are my impressions so far.

- Running both on my Shanling UP4 in USB Dual DAC Mode.
- Stock cable has slightly more air, a little cleaner. Marginally better imaging and soundstage.
- Budget cable has a slightly warmer, smoother presentation.
- Budget cable is well constructed and lays well (no annoying kinks). Much easier to wear.

Overall, for $16.90, it's a great buy. It's not exactly the same in terms of SQ, but it's close and some may even prefer the slightly warmer, more intimate sound. Keep in mind, we're not talking drastic sound difference, merely minor variations to the core sound. To put it in perspective, the physical benefits of using this wire, for me, outweigh any sonic benefits of using the cumbersome 3.5mm stock cable.
That's great feedback. It sounds like a great option for the group here.

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #1,281 of 2,440
I recently got an RME ADI-2 DAC, and tried the settings on the page you provided. The info has been very helpful. Its great that they listed settings for a 10-band eq, and a 5-band eg. The RME has a 5-band EQ, and I setup the bass button to cover 2 more of the settings on the page. That page is a great starting point.

It's interesting how different the RME sound compared to my Mojo. Anyway, thanks again for the settings

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,282 of 2,440
I recently got an RME ADI-2 DAC, and tried the settings on the page you provided. The info has been very helpful. Its great that they listed settings for a 10-band eq, and a 5-band eg. The RME has a 5-band EQ, and I setup the bass button to cover 2 more of the settings on the page. That page is a great starting point.

It's interesting how different the RME sound compared to my Mojo. Anyway, thanks again for the settings

Thank you,
In fact, with the Z7MKII .. just some small adjustments in middle and high frequencies, change a lot the transparency of the listening. Low frequencies are near to perfect so it becomes one of the very very good closed model.
So 5 band eq is rather enough to get those results. So, for me, it's worth to do EQ it in this case.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #1,283 of 2,440
Thank you,
In fact, with the Z7MKII .. just some small adjustments in middle and high frequencies, change a lot the transparency of the listening. Low frequencies are near to perfect so it becomes one of the very very good closed model.
So 5 band eq is rather enough to get those results. So, for me, it's worth to do EQ it in this case.

For my setup the EQ changes are subtle with the RME. I use a stock cable cut to 4ft on the Z7m2 FYI... When I press the EQ button on the RME to A/B the EQ settings vs no EQ, I would say it tones down the little bit if brightness or glare we hear in those frequencies. It may improve clarity a liitle since we hear less glare, but I would say the difference in clarity is secondary.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,284 of 2,440
Hi folks !

If anyone is willing to sell their z7m2 I would like to buy them

Thanks

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,286 of 2,440
Got a pair from Seoul’s airport for 430 USD or 330£ in my world brand new and couldn’t be happier with the deal and the headphones.

Good deal.

Only thing i dont like about these cans, is that they need good quality audio to really perform.

Good luck!

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #1,289 of 2,440
Good deal.

Only thing i dont like about these cans, is that they need good quality audio to really perform.

Good luck!
What's your source material and what are you using to drive them? They scale well with a good AMP/DAC and sound fantastic running them balanced with my FiiO Q5s, even streaming over Spotify (320 kbps).

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,290 of 2,440
Z7M2 + pha3 + zx507 can be stellar killer setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back