Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
May 21, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #737 of 2,453
Looking for a decent price pair in good condition. Thanks :)

Suggest looking frequently at eBay sites (us. ca. others)
as well as Amazon sites - notably the "other Sellers" area
(usually in small print on the same page as the main listing).
I've seen attractive pricing on the Z7M2's in these places
quite often.

Several are in Japan with inexpensive quick shipping
(thought not sure what shipping deal is to Canada).

Also, if you cruise Bing, Google, or some other top search
tool for the headphones, you'll likely unearth additional
sources. If you do locate a vendor from which you wish
to buy, it's probably worth doing some extra vetting,
paying with a credit card, and all of the usual precautions
when buying from a Seller which is unknown to you.

Cheers,

May 24, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #738 of 2,453
The Z7M2 never fails to surprise! Those who think that the Z7M2 cannot produce great treble, try hooking it with a dry and transparent sounding audio interface with an equally transparent amp. I slept 3AM today because I can't get enough of listening to this combo! :o2smile:

P.S. I still couldn't afford a Hugo2 (even 2nd hand units), so I'll have to make do for an inexpensive but quality audio interface for the meantime haha

47874884071_7346cc5683_c.jpg
Those setups are already damn impressive bud! Don't read too much into hype and try reaching up for the flavor of the month.
Just enjoy what you have!

May 24, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #740 of 2,453
Based on the comments here, I suppose USD400 is a great price for the Z7M2. One outlet in my area is having a sale on them.

I assuming my current rig of Topping D50+JDS Labs Atom is good enough for these cans.
if you run them on a powerful amp (high output impedance) you might face the problem of one notch down too quiet one notch up too loud, as they've low impedance 53ohm.

your Atom seems to have a very low output impedance across the frequency range, should be fine with them.

as for the price, I saw a canadian on ebay sell a used pair for over 400$, so if you can get them for that much you can sell them for more in case you dislike the sound.

-------------------------------------------------------

for the vocals issue, not with my content. I listen mostly to pop,electro-pop, R&B, hip-hop and zero complains with those.
however, metal music like Evanescence I've noticed they don't sound as they should, Amy's voice was dropped behind.
so maybe it's the type of music you listen to.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #741 of 2,453
Noticed that one online reviewer goes on and on about how vocals sound distant on the M2 and another reviewer says vocals are too forward. Go figure.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #742 of 2,453
I love my Z7 Mk2 and thought it is an all-rounder. No issues with Vocal for me and the Z7 M2 comes alive with good amplification. It responds well to cable upgrades too so u can fine tune the character of the Z7 mkii that way. Z review thinks so highly of the original Z7 which I am not. That thing is too bass heavy for me and the Z7 mkii is more well balanced from top to bottom.

May 31, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #743 of 2,453
I love my Z7 Mk2 and thought it is an all-rounder. No issues with Vocal for me and the Z7 M2 comes alive with good amplification. It responds well to cable upgrades too so u can fine tune the character of the Z7 mkii that way. Z review thinks so highly of the original Z7 which I am not. That thing is too bass heavy for me and the Z7 mkii is more well balanced from top to bottom.
Yesterday, I demo'ed MDR-Z7M2 for the umpteenth time against MDR-Z1R & MDR-1AM2 (which I already own) using WM1A, WM1Z & ZX300 at nearby local Sony store.. It's on sale @ USD573 while Z1R @ USD1,356 and 1AM2 @ USD238.. I wanted to like Z7M2 so much & possibly wanted to buy it in the near future because it's so comfortable & well built.. Unfortunately, its sound signature really disappoints me! The vocals are so recessed as if they are at backstage with the instruments sitting in front.. The mids are terrible ie so muffled, hardly discernable.. Z1R's mids are so clear with 1AM2 coming second.. How I really wish Z7M2 has a very similar tone close to that of Z1R.. It seems the upgrade from original version really came short.. In fact, to resolve my "personal issue" concerning Z7M2, I had bought Audio-Technica MSR7B (with forward-leaning vocals) last weekend to complement my 1AM2 (punchy bass) .. So yesterday's demo on Z7M2 was really to verify this purchase decision for a mere USD227.. :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #744 of 2,453
Yesterday, I demo'ed MDR-Z7M2 for the umpteenth time against MDR-Z1R & MDR-1AM2 (which I already own) using WM1A, WM1Z & ZX300 at nearby local Sony store.. It's on sale @ USD573 while Z1R @ USD1,356 and 1AM2 @ USD238.. I wanted to like Z7M2 so much & possibly wanted to buy it in the near future because it's so comfortable & well built.. Unfortunately, its sound signature really disappoints me! The vocals are so recessed as if they are at backstage with the instruments sitting in front.. The mids are terrible ie so muffled, hardly discernable.. Z1R's mids are so clear with 1AM2 coming second.. How I really wish Z7M2 has a very similar tone close to that of Z1R.. It seems the upgrade from original version really came short.. In fact, to resolve my "personal issue" concerning Z7M2, I had bought Audio-Technica MSR7B (with forward-leaning vocals) last weekend to complement my 1AM2 (punchy bass) .. So yesterday's demo on Z7M2 was really to verify this purchase decision for a mere USD227.. :)
Interestingly, I initially had similar experience. But after one week of listening they became totally Ok to me, maybe because of brain/headphones burn in.

Jun 1, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #745 of 2,453

Totally different experience for me. The Z1R bass is bleeding into midrange and is always there even the material doesn't call for it. I have 1A (not MK2) and can't stand its boom boom bass or lack of soundstage. To me the Z7 m2 vocal is fine....albeit not the best but hardly bad. Owning and auditioning at a show is something else entirely. We all hear differently however.

Jun 2, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #746 of 2,453
Does anyone have a factory balanced cable from their Z7M2 they’d like to sell me? I’m hoping to use the factory 4.4 cable from the Z7M2 on my OG Z7. PM me if you have one. Thanks.

Jun 3, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #747 of 2,453
Hey everyone, has anyone here tried the Neumann NDH 20 (https://en-de.neumann.com/ndh-20) ?
Do you know how it would fair against the Sony Z7m2 ? soon im going to be buying the Sony Z7m2 but if there is better for less or not i'd like to know.

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #748 of 2,453
Hey everyone, has anyone here tried the Neumann NDH 20 (https://en-de.neumann.com/ndh-20) ?
Do you know how it would fair against the Sony Z7m2 ? soon im going to be buying the Sony Z7m2 but if there is better for less or not i'd like to know.

From me the NDH 20 had more air and treble energy but still impactful bass and mids. The Z7M2 was more easy going and laid back. It was darker and fuller with a wider sound stage.
I cant give much more details because i returned the NDH20. I preferred the z7m2's comfort and build quality. The NDH 20 had really kinky cables and stiff pads.

EDIT: Just adding that i thought NDH20 had slightly too much overall treble (for me) which was the other reason i returned.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #749 of 2,453
From me the NDH 20 had more air and treble energy but still impactful bass and mids. The Z7M2 was more easy going and laid back. It was darker and fuller with a wider sound stage.
I cant give much more details because i returned the NDH20. I preferred the z7m2's comfort and build quality. The NDH 20 had really kinky cables and stiff pads.

EDIT: Just adding that i thought NDH20 had slightly too much overall treble (for me) which was the other reason i returned.
Great feedback, thanks! i'll be ordering the Sony Z7m2 when i see a deal pop up soon, if not, i'll just pay full amazon canada retail price :frowning2:

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #750 of 2,453
Great feedback, thanks! i'll be ordering the Sony Z7m2 when i see a deal pop up soon, if not, i'll just pay full amazon canada retail price :frowning2:
There's never any deals on the canadian side, so don't wait and enjoy now! Beside we pay the same price as the US retail price but in CAD, so it's actually cheaper for us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back