Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #1,201 of 2,440
For a long cable I recommend SkyAudioCables on eBay. They make custom cables that work for the Z7/Z7M2.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173573510745

You can select your length. 400cm is 13ft and 300cm is about 9ft. You can choose the wire type. Unfortunately, the Acrolink silver platted OCC wire is out of stock. The sleeving is customizable and there are options for termination type.
I see that one the headphone side, the 3.5mm connectors on that cable are mono 2-pole. The cables that come with the z7m2 are 3-pole. Will that work fine?
If 2-pole connections on the headphone side are ok, does that mean I could also search for HE-400 cables also?

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #1,202 of 2,440
So, not sure how you feel about wireless, but you can pick one of these portable wireless AMP/DAC units and pair them to your smart TV or get a BT transmitter, thus avoiding the necessity of a long cable. I have the Radsone ES100 and run the Z7M2 on them balanced and they sound fabulous. If you just need the long cable for movies, you may want to consider wireless.

Portable AMP/DAC
https://www.amazon.com/EarStudio-ES100-24bit-High-Resolution-Bluetooth-Unbalanced/dp/B078H4YD2L/

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-BTR3-Bluetooth-Receiver-Portable/dp/B07FVN14FH/

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-BTR5-384K-Bluetooth5-0-Headphone-Unbalanced/dp/B07ZK3M6XK/

Transmitter
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B07BQYYDNJ/
Wow, thanks. This is an interesting option. I’ll give this some thought.

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #1,203 of 2,440
Yeah Bluetooth receiver is damn good these days, for other recommendations I’d put up one for Fiio BTR5, it also has a balanced out, just need to buy an adapter from 4.4 to 2.5 to get it going with the stock cable.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #1,204 of 2,440
I see that one the headphone side, the 3.5mm connectors on that cable are mono 2-pole. The cables that come with the z7m2 are 3-pole. Will that work fine?
If 2-pole connections on the headphone side are ok, does that mean I could also search for HE-400 cables also?

Good catch there. I didn't even notice that. So disregard that recommendation. The other shorter cable I recommended to you a few days back follows the OEM design specs or at least says and looks like it does.

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #1,205 of 2,440
Thank you both for the suggestions. I am really just looking for something similar in quality to the stock cable. I'll use this long cable for mostly TV/Movies, when the wife doesn't want to hear "explosions and people killing each other".

One of the cables I mentioned before was a little less expensive than the stock cable from the vendor hifi80sman linked, but Periapt cables will sell you a 10ft cable for $83. https://periaptcables.com/

You can also order the original cable here (from Sony's official vendor):
https://sony.encompass.com/item/12290497/Sony/1-849-532-21/

You'd think Sony's official vendor would be able to display images on a website. Not confidence inspiring.

Edit: Ignore the second bit. Looks like my corporate network doesn't like the images on this site for some reason. It displays fine at home.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,206 of 2,440
There's a huge markup on OEM parts at sony.encompass.com.

Last year when I was looking for a replacement for my broken cable I found a Japanese retailer that had the OEM cable for about $85 USD. A Japanese shipping proxy is required to get it shipped to the USA. That adds another $40.

The cushions are also far cheaper ordered direct from Japan. I bought 3-4 pairs, sold all but one set. The profit I made from those sales essentially made the set I kept free.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #1,207 of 2,440
There's a seller on eBay that ships out of California. He has two short cables, stereo and balanced, that would fit the bill. I use the stereo version with my Z7.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183653758988

The cables have 90° angle terminations, dark silver twisted sleeving and are flexible and light.

The seller states that his cables are 6N copper with silver plating. I can't independently confirm this but damn, the sound quality is amazing! My OEM 10 footer broke after 2+ years of use. The eBay cable was only intended to be a placeholder until I could get another long cable. But I find the shorter length way more convenient and when a long lead is required I use my Grado extension cable.
I ended up taking your suggestion and ordered the cable above. It isn't 10ft long, but it will allow me to listen to the new headphones. I'm tired of having to hold the cable that B+H sent me, the whole time I listen. I figure that I'll want to end up with a 4ft and a 10ft eventually. I can get a 10ft or bluetooth solution next.

I am looking forward to comparing it to the stock cable. I also just got a Chord Mojo, so I'll get to see how much that helps.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,208 of 2,440
Anyone who was able to come by that b&h deal and isn’t happy or is willing to sell, please let me know as I am interested in these headphones as my everyday use pair.

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #1,209 of 2,440
I ended up taking your suggestion and ordered the cable above. It isn't 10ft long, but it will allow me to listen to the new headphones. I'm tired of having to hold the cable that B+H sent me, the whole time I listen. I figure that I'll want to end up with a 4ft and a 10ft eventually. I can get a 10ft or bluetooth solution next.

I am looking forward to comparing it to the stock cable. I also just got a Chord Mojo, so I'll get to see how much that helps.

I was never able to directly compare both cables so I'll be interested to read your observations.

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #1,210 of 2,440
Now, I'm also a MDR-Z7M2 "member" :)
Love it and no chance for 1000XM3 at home! But I'm sad, the headphones are too big for me for mobile using.... and too expensive.... :p
I hope the 1000XM4 is better in bass, cause I love the bass signature @Z7M2 - and I can hear a very good impulse behaviour / control (pure electr. music) for all (good allround headphone). The 1000XM3 bass is sooo bad....

... it seems for home it was a good decision :) :) :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #1,211 of 2,440
Now, I'm also a MDR-Z7M2 "member" :)
Love it and no chance for 1000XM3 at home! But I'm sad, the headphones are too big for me for mobile using.... and too expensive.... :p
I hope the 1000XM4 is better in bass, cause I love the bass signature @Z7M2 - and I can hear a very good impulse behaviour / control (pure electr. music) for all (good allround headphone). The 1000XM3 bass is sooo bad....

... it seems for home it was a good decision :) :) :)
The Z7M2s and the 1000X are two entirely different headphones though, one's a consumer pair of cans meant for plane flights or the daily commute, while the other is part of the Hi-fi segment used for listening at your desk. It'd basically be comparing apples to oranges. Never heard the 1000Xs but I would assume the Z7M2s sound better. How much did you get them for?

(Btw glad you decided to get some good headphones, I'd say you're definitely putting the M11 to good use now :sunglasses:)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #1,212 of 2,440
The M11 is quite good im combination with Z7M2, but every day I use the tram and it's important for me to get an ANC headphone in combination with BT (I don't like wire headphones on street / "jacket rubbing issues"). So I will use the 1000XM3 mobile and the Z7M2 at home.
Here in Germany, no normal seller had the Z7M2 in stock - currently there are many scammers @Amazon.... I paid 680 Euro, bought at an electronic online store (the problem is that the prices of most products are too expensive at the store, but the store had three headphones in stock...).

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #1,213 of 2,440
I was never able to directly compare both cables so I'll be interested to read your observations.
Well I got the cable that you recommended today. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183653758988 I don't know how/if cable burn-in will change the sound on this, but here are my 1st impressions.

The cable seems well built. It's light and flexible. Compared to the stock z7m2 cable, it sounds leaner. I'll try to elaborate a little.

What I thought I was going to hear: Based on the description of the cable, I thought that it may sound more accurate (tighter bass, and highs, that increased separation between the instruments, making the sound "pop" a little more).

What I actually heard: The bass and highs so seem to sound a little tighter (shorter decay) with the ebay cable, but most of the instruments seem further away now, and a little less engaging. The biggest difference I hear is that vocals seem to have less texture with the ebay cable. For example if a singer is a little raspy, or was hitting a passage where they had to strain a little, you could hear that with the stock cable. These things were less apparent with the ebay cable. I guess you could say the stock cable seemed to allow richer vocals to be heard.

In short, you could say the stock cable is a little on the warm side, and the ebay cable is a little on the leaner. I would have called the ebay cable "more accurate", if the separation of instruments was increased, but things became flatter. I think "leaner" is a better description of what I am hearing in my system. Maybe the silver plating is tightening up the timing, but maybe this cable isn't shielded as well which is leading to a higher noise floor (less separation between instruments)? Just a wild guess here.

I tested using Qobuz, with a handfull of tracks that I use for sound tests. I used my Macbook Pro with a usb-c to 3.5mm Dac Adapter, a Macbook Pro with a Mojo, and I did the same tests with my iPad Pro with the same Dac/adapter and mojo. All 4 setups yielded the same sound signature differences.

For the most part I view cables as the last bit of system tuning. The standard cable is a little bit veiled and is a little warm. The warmth works well in my setup. For others that need a little less warmth this cable may work for you. This cable does seem to have better timing (tighter bass and highs). My only hesitation in recommending this cable was the decrease in instrumentation that I heard. All these tests were done with Apple products. Maybe this cable would interact with other products. In a different way? Well, I am going to post this now so I don't lose the typing I've done so far, and try the cable out of my Bluesound Node to Mytek 192 DSD Dac setup. I'll tack on the results below in a bit...

Part 2:
OK, I tried both cables plugged into the BlueSound Node 2i playing Qobuz (same songs), and then the Mytek 192 DSD DAC that is downstream of the Bluesound. The results were the same. Overall, the better the source, the more noticeable the differences between the cable become. In my systems, I prefer the stock cable.

Please note that overall the differences aren't huge, but you will notice them if you have a good source. For someone with a basic source, that doesn't want to spend a lot of money, this will be a great cable. In fact in a warm system, it may be just the ticker regardless of price. This is a decent cable, and when you look at the ~$40 price compared to the stock cable ($160) and others ($150-$300), this cable is a great bargain.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #1,214 of 2,440
Well I got the cable that you recommended today. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183653758988 I don't know how/if cable burn-in will change the sound on this, but here are my 1st impressions.

The cable seems well built. It's light and flexible. Compared to the stock z7m2 cable, it sounds leaner. I'll try to elaborate a little.

What I thought I was going to hear: Based on the description of the cable, I thought that it may sound more accurate (tighter bass, and highs, that increased separation between the instruments, making the sound "pop" a little more).

What I actually heard: The bass and highs so seem to sound a little tighter (shorter decay) with the ebay cable, but most of the instruments seem further away now, and a little less engaging. The biggest difference I hear is that vocals seem to have less texture with the ebay cable. For example if a singer is a little raspy, or was hitting a passage where they had to strain a little, you could hear that with the stock cable. These things were less apparent with the ebay cable. I guess you could say the stock cable seemed to allow richer vocals to be heard.

In short, you could say the stock cable is a little on the warm side, and the ebay cable is a little on the leaner. I would have called the ebay cable "more accurate", if the separation of instruments was increased, but things became flatter. I think "leaner" is a better description of what I am hearing in my system. Maybe the silver plating is tightening up the timing, but maybe this cable isn't shielded as well which is leading to a higher noise floor (less separation between instruments)? Just a wild guess here.

I tested using Qobuz, with a handfull of tracks that I use for sound tests. I used my Macbook Pro with a usb-c to 3.5mm Dac Adapter, a Macbook Pro with a Mojo, and I did the same tests with my iPad Pro with the same Dac/adapter and mojo. All 4 setups yielded the same sound signature differences.

For the most part I view cables as the last bit of system tuning. The standard cable is a little bit veiled and is a little warm. The warmth works well in my setup. For others that need a little less warmth this cable may work for you. This cable does seem to have better timing (tighter bass and highs). My only hesitation in recommending this cable was the decrease in instrumentation that I heard. All these tests were done with Apple products. Maybe this cable would interact with other products. In a different way? Well, I am going to post this now so I don't lose the typing I've done so far, and try the cable out of my Bluesound Node to Mytek 192 DSD Dac setup. I'll tack on the results below in a bit...

Part 2:
OK, I tried both cables plugged into the BlueSound Node 2i playing Qobuz (same songs), and then the Mytek 192 DSD DAC that is downstream of the Bluesound. The results were the same. Overall, the better the source, the more noticeable the differences between the cable become. In my systems, I prefer the stock cable.

Please note that overall the differences aren't huge, but you will notice them if you have a good source. For someone with a basic source, that doesn't want to spend a lot of money, this will be a great cable. In fact in a warm system, it may be just the ticker regardless of price. This is a decent cable, and when you look at the ~$40 price compared to the stock cable ($160) and others ($150-$300), this cable is a great bargain.

Thanks for the indepth comparison review against the OEM cable. Reading this I have to agree about the 'leaner' sound observation for the eBay cable. To my ears it added more transparency because the OEM cable always seemed to soften the higher frequencies. I haven't noticed the narrower instrumentation presentation but then again I don't have a working OEM cable compare against. Perhaps my ears have adjusted to the sound.

Now I wish I had the OEM cable. Mine broke because the input termination just wore out.

After checking my emails I found the page
Yodobash product page for the 10ft OEM stereo cable:

https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001003275466/

It's still listed as 'On Order' but this price is about half what Sony's USA parts website, Encompass, is charging. I was going to order it through White Rabbit Express, a Japanese shipping proxy. However, it's a long shot that Yobobash will get it and the rep at Whit Rabbit said you have to pay up front and wait to see if that merchant comes through. Could take several weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back