Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jul 23, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #1,771 of 2,453
After I got the Focal Clear, I haven’t done earphone testing for like 3 weeks now. If I bother again, I’ll just compare the Stellia and MDR-Z1R. But when I used the Kimber on the Z1R, the Z7M2 was just more relaxed for me I nature. Treble didn’t boost as much and the mids sounded a little boxy, like kept within a space. But here’s what I wonder. How can I understand soundstage or 3D effect better? I’m trying to shut my eyes and identify where the instruments are. The Z7M2 helps me do that, but it’s hard for me still to analyze those 3D concepts. It’s no problem understanding instrument separation. I got that pat down
I'm forever learning more about the various aspects of sound presentation.
The most obvious 3D effect for me is not so much in actual placement of instruments but in the sound of an instrument itself. With certain electronic sounds (synth) I have perceived a 3D effect where there is a separation and space and sense of depth to the sound itself.
My iems are decent but apart from wide soundstaging the sound field is fairly flat and curved around me whereas recently using the Kimber cable with my overheads I am experiencing more sense of depth over all, but particularly with individual sounds.

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #1,772 of 2,453
I'm forever learning more about the various aspects of sound presentation.
The most obvious 3D effect for me is not so much in actual placement of instruments but in the sound of an instrument itself. With certain electronic sounds (synth) I have perceived a 3D effect where there is a separation and space and sense of depth to the sound itself.
My iems are decent but apart from wide soundstaging the sound field is fairly flat and curved around me whereas recently using the Kimber cable with my overheads I am experiencing more sense of depth over all, but particularly with individual sounds.

It is possible that with a bigger headphones the sound perception is closer to a normal way of hearing it. And your perception can be perceived as the sound go all over your ear and it shapes its way threw your ear anatomy...

While iems are like ear plugs lol
It is very hard to make all those particular sound waves to bounce and travel threw your ear ass its all lost and the sound is directly projected into your ear drums....

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #1,773 of 2,453
The drivers actually have a relatively normal size dome but with a pretty huge surround. The outer edge of the surround doesn't move, so it's isn't the same as having a driver with a soft surround where there's pistonic movement of the whole diaphragm.
I would say that the 70mm driver is mostly a bit of marketing hyperbole, just to be able to boast some big numbers. If this wasn't the case, the Sonys would be best in class headphones and they're not.
Probably time to don my flame-proof suit {over my Z7M2s).

That's true, fair point. The same can be said about their LCP 40mm drivers in their xm3 as well. They are definitely unique

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #1,774 of 2,453
That's true, fair point. The same can be said about their LCP 40mm drivers in their xm3 as well. They are definitely unique

Me to I liked that headphone!
Among all anc bluetooth headphones I tried sony was the best sound wise!

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #1,775 of 2,453
@Vitaly2017 @Hinomotocho, have you all tried the 360 audio standard? Bose also has a spatial audio standard.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/360-reality-audio

To perceive vertical spatial cues, sound has to bounce into your ear off the ridges of your ears, thus why 3d videos with earbuds sound like the sound is all on one height. I think sony's bluetooth app has a ear scanner that tunes their 360 audio to be more accurate. I really don't think you can have 360 audio with IEMs though

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,777 of 2,453
I really liked everything about the XM3s except the bass, which was a bit bloated. I read that it's been toned down a bit in a firmware update, so it might be time to purchase another set.

Funny you say that as I purposely went to hear them and make my own conclusions on that bloated bass. To my surprise it was fine tuned and no bloated issues...

I did listen to them in Germany tough dont know if that would change the sound tuning.

Jul 23, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #1,778 of 2,453
Funny you say that as I purposely went to hear them and make my own conclusions on that bloated bass. To my surprise it was fine tuned and no bloated issues...

I did listen to them in Germany tough dont know if that would change the sound tuning.
I had the original XMs and thought the XM3s were better in every way except the bass, which was too big and flabby. I'll have to give them another listen with the latest firmware.

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,779 of 2,453
I had the original XMs and thought the XM3s were better in every way except the bass, which was too big and flabby. I'll have to give them another listen with the latest firmware.

Agreed - XM3s are superior in every way to the original 1000x except for the sound. XM3s are too loose with the bass.

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,780 of 2,453
Agreed - XM3s are superior in every way to the original 1000x except for the sound. XM3s are too loose with the bass.

The xm4 are on the way soon!

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #1,782 of 2,453
It is possible that with a bigger headphones the sound perception is closer to a normal way of hearing it. And your perception can be perceived as the sound go all over your ear and it shapes its way threw your ear anatomy...

While iems are like ear plugs lol
It is very hard to make all those particular sound waves to bounce and travel threw your ear ass its all lost and the sound is directly projected into your ear drums....
That makes sense to me, I need to get out of my iem world a bit more. I have always used iems because they seldom leak any sound and don't permanently flatten my hair (as lame as it sounds) but since experiencing a new dimension to my music I will use my overheads more.
And I still have those new WM1A firmwares to try.

Jul 23, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #1,783 of 2,453
That makes sense to me, I need to get out of my iem world a bit more. I have always used iems because they seldom leak any sound and don't permanently flatten my hair (as lame as it sounds) but since experiencing a new dimension to my music I will use my overheads more.
Which IEMs are your favorite?

Jul 23, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #1,784 of 2,453

If you listen to my tia fourte noir ( 3800 $)
They sound phenomenal and soundstage is holographic. They dont lack in that department. Extremely nuanced detailed and can retrieve amazing amount of layers and textures in music.

They beat alot of headphones if not all and sit right at top with the big kings realm in headphones world.

When I am asked what they sound like I say.

Mdr-z1r he-1 hd800s hd820 utopia

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #1,785 of 2,453
Which IEMs are your favorite?
I am using the Oriolus (mk1) and XBA-Z5 - I quite like hybrid for the dynamic driver bass.
I'm interested to try the IER-Z1R although fit, and price are a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back