Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #136 of 2,453
20180920_EDM_Signature_Series_PMR Reviews_Head-Fi.png
Hi everyone! for those in Singapore, Sony Singapore has warmly welcome us to a demo session at Wisma Atria on the 6th of October. You will also be able to interview two engineers who are behind the design of their new products. Those who are interested in going please DM me your name and email!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #137 of 2,453
Hi everyone! for those in Singapore, Sony Singapore has warmly welcome us to a demo session at Wisma Atria on the 6th of October. You will also be able to interview two engineers who are behind the design of their new products. Those who are interested in going please DM me your name and email!

I have a question! Can you ask them will they release a wooden cup version of this just so we can see how the driver sounds with wood, ZMF do great things with wooden cups with the Eikon and Atticus which in ways were inspired from the original MDR-R10.

If they make one they are now obliged to send me one for the idea! :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #140 of 2,453
If the Korean review's raw FR measurement is accurate, the Z7M2 seams to have a faster transition from the upper bass region to the lower midrange region than the Z1R, which should help reduce the perceived 'midbass bloat' that turned some people away from the Z1R. But from 400Hz on up, it looks very similar to the raw FR of the Z1R that was measured by Tyll.. :thinking:

08634e3bac9d871b4293be8e869e0f18.png

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #141 of 2,453
If the Korean review's raw FR measurement is accurate, the Z7M2 seams to have a faster transition from the upper bass region to the lower midrange region than the Z1R, which should help reduce the perceived 'midbass bloat' that turned some people away from the Z1R. But from 400Hz on up, it looks very similar to the raw FR of the Z1R that was measured by Tyll.. :thinking:

So is that bad?

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #142 of 2,453
So is that bad?
It just comes down to if you like the sound signature of the Z1R or not. It is definitely an acquired taste, but having listened to the Z1R's on multiple occasions, and giving my brain time to adjust to their strengths and weaknesses, I've come to really enjoy them.

So if the Z7M2 can offer a big chunk of the Z1R's performance for a fraction of their price, I'll be getting a pair ASAP!

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #143 of 2,453
It just comes down to if you like the sound signature of the Z1R or not. It is definitely an acquired taste, but having listened to the Z1R's on multiple occasions, and giving my brain time to adjust to their strengths and weaknesses, I've come to really enjoy them.

So if the Z7M2 can offer a big chunk of the Z1R's performance for a fraction of their price, I'll be getting a pair ASAP!
I wanted the Sony Z1R but ended up buying the Mrspeakers aeon,I bought blind on eBay so didn't know what they sounded like and I love them.Still not heard the Sony Z1R

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #144 of 2,453

So do you currently own a Z1R and are thinking about getting the Z7M2 also? I had the Z1R for about 20 days and loved it. Am saving up for one but now this Z7M2 is interesting due to the lower price. The Z1R's did get warm after a few hours, nothing new with closed cans, but I am wondering if these additional vents on the Z7M2 would help with that.

Sep 29, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #145 of 2,453
So do you currently own a Z1R and are thinking about getting the Z7M2 also? I had the Z1R for about 20 days and loved it. Am saving up for one but now this Z7M2 is interesting due to the lower price. The Z1R's did get warm after a few hours, nothing new with closed cans, but I am wondering if these additional vents on the Z7M2 would help with that.
I don't own a Z1R, but every time I drop by The Source AV I always give them a good listen and they are currently my favorite closed-back headphone.
I just hope that the Z7M2 can get close to the Z1R's level. As soon as TSAV gets a demo pair, I'll be there, and I'll report my impressions here.

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #146 of 2,453
Sep 30, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #147 of 2,453
I don't own a Z1R, but every time I drop by The Source AV I always give them a good listen and they are currently my favorite closed-back headphone.
I just hope that the Z7M2 can get close to the Z1R's level. As soon as TSAV gets a demo pair, I'll be there, and I'll report my impressions here.

Ah, OK. I look froward to your review. This headphone seem very interesting. Thanks!

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #150 of 2,453
And if you put the 2 together.
Faded lines - MDR-Z7M2
Bold lines - MDR-Z1R

I'm thick with graphs, I understand the frequency from low to high but haven't got a clue at over is it 2 k the z7m2 dips compared to the Sony Z1R,does that mean the Sony Z1R is too bright or the Sony z7m2 is too dark?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back