Sony MDR-Z1R vs. other flagships Thread
Dec 3, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 8
What type of music do you listen to, and what sort of sound signature are you interested in? Neutral, u-shaped, warm, articulate, vivid, bassy, laid back? Does it matter if the headphone is open or closed? What is your budget? It's not as simple as just choosing which is the best. What is best will depend on your specific tastes, uses, requirements etc.

Oct 24, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 8
NCpuNrD.jpg

I have a soft spot for the ATH AD line

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 8
Usually Tyll's tastes and mine are polar opposites....I was sort of glad he dissed them.

Bern

I was overwhelmed with excitement when i got to try the Z1R. The R10 is my dream phone, and sadly it probably will remain a dream. Anyway, I was very happy to have a brief encounter with her. It is a smooth all rounder, but to my ears not as up there with Utopia/HEKv2 which i got to compare with. To be fair, they are fully open. The HEXv2 sits in between. To sum it up, between getting a (Utopia or HEKv2) or both (Z1R and HEXv2), i would go with the latter combo. The Oppo PM-1 was fantastic as well and should be considered if one is looking for a closed end-game. Utopia seemed other-worldly detailed, but not as musical as the HEKv2. The Z1R/HEXv2 are basically perfect all rounders for music enjoyment. They are all great though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back