Sony MDR-XD400 Review with pics
Jan 25, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #17 of 35
I got a couple more questions about the XD400 and 200. I'm currently a few cans, but they are all open. Although they suffice 70% of the time, I'm looking to buy a relatively cheap pair of closed cans for such times as when my roommate is on the phone for hours on end, or in the early morning when my roommate's still asleep.

Since it seems that the sound quality is quite good for the money for both models, I'd like to know how much sound the XD series isolate/leak. Also, do you think they compare to other closed cans in the price range (the AT FC7's or DT231's, for example)?

Your comments would be very helpful. Thanks.

Jan 26, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 35
hey soupy, what would you give the bass out of 10? im a really big basshead and must know.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #19 of 35
The isolation on the xd400s are mediocre at best. They do leak a tiny bit of sound too. I feel that something like the v6 would be better in this department. I'm not implying that they're as open as say the cd780s or a grado, but many closed headphone alternatives would provide better isolation.

As for the bass, I'd give it a 7/10 probably.

Jan 26, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #20 of 35
sorry if im sounding like a perfectionist or something...
plainface.gif
but is th bass also so present that you feel like your eardrums could burst because i would love that. even if i have to leave it on movie mode.

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #21 of 35
Thanks for the review, I just ordered the XD400. I was going back and forth between the XD400 and the XD200 (reviewed by bangraman) but I decided to try the 50mm driver and the auto headband instead. The movie mode is intriguing as I watch a lot of movies. I was going to reorder the A900s again but I remembered I found something funny about its midrange back when I owned it. Since these are so much cheaper, I decided to try them. If these can present a reasonably good midrange then they would be great as there are not too many choices in full sized closed headphones at low price ranges.

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I've just made an addition to the review after opening up the phones. Very interesting. The same link as before.

maybe they read the thread on the d66 eggo mod that requires a hole to add bass? haha.. oi.

Feb 2, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 35
received my XD400's today. i'll try and keep this short, since soupy's review was pretty much dead on and i'm just reiterating it. anyhoo...

shipping from audiocubes was typical time and packaging.. nothing special here, but like clockwork for customers in Vancouver, BC.

first thing i noticed was that these things were gonna dwarf the 'cutesy' d66's, not to mention the size of my head. (more on that later..)

after removing it from the packaging, i found the same things as soupy did. no surprises.. typical sony japan packaged accessories.. (extension cable and 1/8" to 1/4" gold-plated adapter.

the headphones are lightweight, weighing in at a 260g (marked on the box), but have a lot of bulk on the outside of the cups made entirely out of plastic.

sizing may be an issue for some small-headed users.. i have a (hat) size 7 - 7 1/8th head and the auto-adjusting strap is barely effective. don't get me wrong though.. they fit snuggly on my ears and and rather comfortably. it's only an observation/warning and obviously won't be a problem for those with large craniums as it seems someone with a size 20 head could use these without too much of an issue.
smily_headphones1.gif

i should also point of that soupy was indeed right about the look of the XD400's.. don't wear them as portables.. you WILL get laughed at. it would definitely be sony's closes attempt at having an equivalent to the K1000's for making an audiophile look like a audio-dork. HOME use only boys and girls.. HOME USE ONLY. hehe..

as for sound.. it's rather impressive. the 50mm drivers definitely move quickly and accurately without any piercing highs or fatigue. i should add that they run very well directly off my hd1 with a 106dB/mW rating and even better amped, in this case with a headroom airhead.

the vocals are very crisp and when called upon, the bass held up very well accurately on bass-heavy tracks. for vocals i used sample tracks from the phantom of the opera soundtrack and for hard hitting bass i pulled up some 'money and hoes' hip hop tracks. i should add that bassheads will definitely get a kick out of the bass prowess of these 'phones.

overall, i am very pleased with my purchase and its addition to my sony stable of headphones. i'm not gonna kid anyone into believing i'm as knowledgable as most of the head-fiers out there, but i know what sounds bad and the XD400 do not. they are definitely worth a listen, especially for their price.

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sony_man
sorry if im sounding like a perfectionist or something...
plainface.gif
but is th bass also so present that you feel like your eardrums could burst because i would love that. even if i have to leave it on movie mode.

If you like deep bass, then try the Technics 1200A. If you want to jump up to hit bottom on bass and don't care about anything else, then try the Denon AH-D550 since the 750's and 950's aren't available anymore.

Mar 29, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #26 of 35
hi, I was wondering if anyone had experience with the xd200 and xd400 and could tell me if the xd400 was worth more that twice as much as the xd200. Also, is the xd400 that much larger than the xd200?

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #27 of 35
anyone? I'd like a little more info before I make my purchase

Apr 3, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #28 of 35
I am also interested. great reviews guys...but one thing..
How they are for gaming compared vs. lets say, the V6's and A500's. I guess I mean mostly in terms of soundstage.

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #29 of 35
Hmm, makes me want to buy these to comparte to my growing line of near 100 dollar headphones. ER6i's, A500's, and xd400??? Who knows. Probably not, looks like some beyer's or grado's are next.

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by das_bill
Hmm, makes me want to buy these to comparte to my growing line of near 100 dollar headphones. ER6i's, A500's, and xd400??? Who knows. Probably not, looks like some beyer's or grado's are next.

Try the Alessandro ms-1-you will be pleasantly surprised at their sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back