Sony MDR-XB90EX worth the money?
Aug 17, 2016 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

atran

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for an IEM with a little extra bass and after doing my research, I have stumbled upon the Sony MDR-XB90EX. I can see that it has gotten many good reviews so I'm interested to see if the upgrade will be worth it. I am currently using the Sennheiser CX-300 II with extra bass and would like to know how these compare to the Sony MDR-XB90EX. Is it worth forking out the little extra money or should I just stick with my CX-300? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi,

I think the Senn is a good inear, more compact with less diaphragm area. So expect the Sony has plenty more "torque" and flesh. It is higher priced, too, so not the same level for comparison. If you have the money, go for the Sony.

Some thoughts I wrote in the XB90 thread:

I also got into the MDR XB90ES these days, and I need to say, it is pretty close to the expensive flagship MDR 1000 I used and loved before.

The XB90 is close in terms of resolution, soundstaging, clear and colorful voices, lack of dumm phase problems. The XB90 is a pretty dynamic inear, not as lightning fast as the 1000k, but pretty close. On the other hand the XB90 lacks of the little treble peak around 13 kHz that I had with my 1000k.

With some devices, bass can get easy too much. (the XB90 is boomy with my Nokia 930 and needs strong EQing (-6 dB unter 150 Hz), but with my Zune HD it works out of the box in good manner.) This is the only problem I found, and it's easy to fix. So no problem at all, even a simple EQ will do it right if necessary.

All around: For me next to the no more produced 1000k, the XB90ES is the best overall inear you can buy. It prevents most common acoustical fails from other (far more expensive) systems (phase, multiway problems) has plenty of diaphragm area and resolution. 

This is the V8 under the Inears :) 
Old school construction at it's best, no mainstream hype product mulit ba forget about these ...

I use the XP90 in gym and for monitoring digital recordings over the PCM D100. An no, I'm not a Sony fanboy, but I love good constructions  :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back