Sony MDR-XB500
Dec 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheSlov3nc

New Head-Fier
What do you think about the Sony MDR-XB500 headphones? Something about bass, build quality, durability, sound quality, how do  you like them ( if you tried them or if you didn't ).

Thanks, Erik

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 7
I listen to dubstep and drum 'n' bass, occasionally hip hop which are full of bass. So are they worth the money? If you know anything about amps... Which one should i get for this headphones?

Thanka, Erik

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 7
I've actually had a similar liking to the XB-500, sharing the same situation as you: I was looking for headphones especially for Dubstep which will have a very impactful, high quality bass.
From my understanding, the XB-500 does the latter while still being cheaper AND better than most headphones up to 100$.

Although, the Panasonic HTF-600 does also seem like a very capable pair of cans judged by the high attention around them recently.
If you have access to some stores near you which sells these then you better go there and check both of these HP's.

I ordered my XB-500 just recently, will be getting them by the end of December.
If you'd like me to review them for you in the Dubstep genre of audio I happily would.

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 7
XB500 is especially fit for those kind of genres indeed. The bass is massive with both big impact that you'll feel as well as superb extension but the midrange and highs are suffering somewhat from that huge bass response. The bass is reasonably "tight" on the XB500 for such a huge quantity but it's certainly not the tightest either and it does have a bit "subwoofer" kind of bass output to it so there's slight reverb to it in most bassheavy bassnotes such as in dubstep which increase the perception of bass quantity somewhat too.

The build quality feels excellent on XB500 IMO and I like how lightweight it is, that with the ubercomfy pads quickly forget you are wearing them.

HTF600 have less bass but still plenty but better midrange and highs (more even & forward & detailed), but the build quality is quite poor, so it depends what you prioritize. Both headphones perform very well ampless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back