Sony MDR-XB500 Review
Aug 3, 2012 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

PinoyPogiman

100+ Head-Fier
My Belated March 24th 2012 Birthday Gift Reviewed to you by: Pinoypogiman
where i will be Telling you my experience with Sony's eXtra Bass series Headphone the Sony MDR-XB500
Heres some lovely pics to show, and my newbie photography skills:

Now for the Review; Keeping it short and sweet as detailed as i can:
Aesthetics, Build, Comfort:
Upon Initial Look of these very different looking Headphones as they ARE being sold wholesale in your local Bestbuy stores for around 79-80$ retail price. They feature what Sony calls as "King Size Cushions" which are indeed very large Earcushions which already defines its pillow-plushy comfort. there is a thin strip of foam padding the top of the headband which doesnt do much in comfort. The Earpads/ Earcups are covered in black Pleather which Does heat up while wearing as well as many other Pleather cupped headphones. The Cushioned earpads do seem susceptible to shrinking/ form-fitting to shape after quite a bit of use.
The parts connecting part of the headband, Sliderband, and driver backing are all made of a pretty durable plastic. although the Plastic Slider connected to the Drivers and the back of the Headband are only connected to 1 point which is the Slider, can be a possible stress point if the headphones are subject to heavy beating.
the Top of the headband is covered in a Pleathery/ Foam padding. There is a Tactile Dot on the Left earcup to help distinguish which direction the headphone is on.
It has a Flat cord with a nice smooth plastic/ rubber coating which is in a way.., slippery which is great that it doesnt drag or tug onto clothing. the Cords are NOT detachable from the headphones.
The size of the Drivers are 40mm.
They come with a Felt carrying pouch, and also.. the infamous Sony L-plug. These headphones DO NOT come with a 6.3mm adapter
Sound Quality(Highs, mids, and Lows) and Isolation.
Since these are Sony's Proposed "eXtra Bass" headphones, they definitely dont lie. These headphones have indeed quite alot of Bass that really drowns out the highs. Very Impactful In-Your-Face Bass too. which indeed is enough to fulfill a Basshead's craving.
as The Bass is dominant in these headphones, as well as the Lows and part to the Mids. These headphones arent as Muddy sounding as people predict, as people DO say in their Opinion; they arent as Muddy as any pair of Skullcandy or Beat's. The highs are considered drowned out due to the Bass, but these headphones are ideal for Bass-heavy Lanuages(music) like: Dubstep, Techno, Hip Hop, Rap, Drum N Bass, etc.
These are indeed a headthrobbing, Fun sounding headphone.
Overall Summary:
Do i Recommend These? For The Budget Audio Enthusiast, and Basshead *Sure. For the Audio Enthusiast seeking Good sound.. No.. of course unless you are a Basshead.
Added Information:
Sources: Apple iPod Classic 5.5 Gen
Headphone price: 50-90$
Burn In Time:Around at least a Day or more of Listening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back