Sony MDR-XB50: All of your basses...all of them.
Apr 5, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #61 of 93

I got the XB50AP for free at an event I went to last December (not related to Sony in any way) and gave them a try. TLDR I didn’t like them.
Treble: Blunted high frequencies made the sound congested and clumsy in separation. This downfall of the XB50AP was forgivable, though, since it’s meant to be a basshead IEM, not the next king of audiophile detail.
Mids: Where I had my biggest issue with the XB50AP. To my ears, the vocals were very sibilant with the ‘S’ notes, which made vocals sound almost snake-like. Very unattractive indeed. I’ve read that this is still an issue on the XB70, which leads me to wonder what’s going on with Sony.
Bass: Easily was the highlight of the XB50AP, but if it wasn’t I’d wonder what Sony were thinking. As many have pointed out by now, the XB50AP has a lot of sub-bass emphasis, which gives bassy tracks some kickass rumble. I can’t begin to imagine what it’d be like with bass boost turned on using a Fiio E11k, Q1 or something similar. To my ears, I was surprised to find no mid-bass hump and the overall bass emphasis is instead very linear and even. Like many of you on this thread, I really liked the bass on the XB50AP.
Overall: In the end, the very sibilant mids was what made me dislike the XB50AP as much as I did. Sorry folks, I understand many like bass to the max and I do too. I did, after all, drill a hole into each side of my ME Electronics M6P Sport just to eek out more bass cos I’m kray like that. *Obviously don’t do that to expensive IEMs you care about*
The thing is, I listen to a lot of bass heavy music that has vocals in it. Because of the deficiency in the vocals, I simply couldn’t tolerate the sound of the XB50AP. I’ve tried the updated Vsonic VSD3 and that has really pronounced bass, energetic highs and nowhere near as much sibilance as the XB50AP does. IMO, the updated VSD3 is a better budget basshead IEM that only costs a few dollars more. But that’s just what I think.

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #62 of 93
The XB50 was good (not great) when released, but it's a pretty sup-par offering now. They're not horrible, but at their price not worth it. I would take any of the $10 bass-heavy KZs over it. And yeah, mids and treble are very compromised. I still use them on occassion, but I'd rather use something else, haha.

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #63 of 93
Yup agreed, I can't recommend the XB50AP these days when there are much better options out there. I sold my XB50AP and am personally looking at the Vsonic VSD3 if I ever get the kick for a basshead IEM on the cheap. Also thinking of looking at JVCs in the future but where I am, they're not exactly easy to demo.
If I feel like being more miserly, though, maybe I'll take a look at the KZs you mentioned. If they're as cheap as $10 and have smoother mids than the XB50AP, they could be my next pick over the VSD3. :3

May 10, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #64 of 93
As someone who loves the sound sig of XB41, and dislike XBA H1 because of its high treble and sibilance (at least too high for my taste), would you recommend XB50 to me? I hear these have some sibilance problems, which I hate, so I am hesitant after reading here.

May 10, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #65 of 93
  As someone who loves the sound sig of XB41, and dislike XBA H1 because of its high treble and sibilance (at least too high for my taste), would you recommend XB50 to me? I hear these have some sibilance problems, which I hate, so I am hesitant after reading here.

Haven't heard the XB41 or H1 unfortunately.

Unless you can get the XB50 at a seriously low price, they're probably worthy of a pass.

In their place, without a doubt check out the Sony AS800AP. That is a fantastic, very underrated earphone. Their general tone reminds me of the XB50 but without any of the flaws. Good mids, nice treble, and with a bit of EQ (if necessary) will put out basshead levels of thunder. The different is sound quality in miles apart. Plus, they're waterproof :D haha.

May 10, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #66 of 93

Haven't heard the XB41 or H1 unfortunately.

Unless you can get the XB50 at a seriously low price, they're probably worthy of a pass.

In their place, without a doubt check out the Sony AS800AP. That is a fantastic, very underrated earphone. Their general tone reminds me of the XB50 but without any of the flaws. Good mids, nice treble, and with a bit of EQ (if necessary) will put out basshead levels of thunder. The different is sound quality in miles apart. Plus, they're waterproof :D haha.

I haven't heard the H1 nor the XB41 either. That said, I can safely say that the sibilance on the XB50 was really pronounced to my ears. I second the recommendation to give the XB50 a pass. Though I personally don't know of many options that would be basshead material at that price, I can tell you the XB50 aren't getting the green light from me.
The new updated VSD3S, if you can get a chance to try it, could be good at a similar price to the XB50. However, like I mentioned before, the VSD3S still has sibilance. Nowhere near as bad as the XB50 though. Thick bass, sparkly and energetic highs, just slight sibilance makes it a few notches below ideal for my taste.
All that aside, the recommendation from @B9Scrambler  to try the AS800AP has gotten my interest. I'll add that to the list of things to try the next time I'm at a Sony store for sure. Could be my next workout option.
TLDR: no to the XB50AP, updated VSD3S may be good though still has sibilance, Sony AS800AP could be interesting imo

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #67 of 93
Should I get the XB50? Considering:

I had a KZ ED-9 and didn't like it at all. 

My EarPods with V4A optimizations sound better than KZ ED-9 and Sony XB-450.

I'm confused. Or is there anything better with a similar price? 

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #68 of 93
Should I get the XB50? Considering:

I had a KZ ED-9 and didn't like it at all. 

My EarPods with V4A optimizations sound better than KZ ED-9 and Sony XB-450.

I'm confused. Or is there anything better with a similar price? 

The XB50 is alright but not worth the money anymore imo. ED9 offers up a completely different sound. Much brighter and notably less bassy.

Any of the recommendations in prior posts are good (VSD3, AS800AP). Might also want to check out something from JVC if you want budget bass head; HA-FX102/FR202 in particular.

I found the 202 on clearance in Winners for 7.99 CAD the other day. If I didn't already own them I would have bought them on the spot.

The XB50 isn't a bad earphone, just that it isn't great either. If you get them you'll probably enjoy them. Still, other options exist.

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #69 of 93
The XB50 is alright but not worth the money anymore imo. ED9 offers up a completely different sound. Much brighter and notably less bassy.

Any of the recommendations in prior posts are good (VSD3, AS800AP). Might also want to check out something from JVC if you want budget bass head; HA-FX102/FR202 in particular.

I found the 202 on clearance in Winners for 7.99 CAD the other day. If I didn't already own them I would have bought them on the spot.

The XB50 isn't a bad earphone, just that it isn't great either. If you get them you'll probably enjoy them. Still, other options exist.

Well, I hated the ED9 tho I tried my best to make them sound good or equal the EarPods. 
The mids and treble were harsh that made it impossible to listen to. Bass wasn't good either.

I'm from India and I guess none of those options are available here. I've seen the VSD1 for similar price.

XB50 is 32$ here.

Earlier, the XB 450 sounded absolutely great to my taste with V4A. But now it sounds really poor (don't know if it's placebo) and prefer my Earpods over it.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #70 of 93

Well, I hated the ED9 tho I tried my best to make them sound good or equal the EarPods. 
The mids and treble were harsh that made it impossible to listen to. Bass wasn't good either.

I'm from India and I guess none of those options are available here. I've seen the VSD1 for similar price.

XB50 is 32$ here.

Earlier, the XB 450 sounded absolutely great to my taste with V4A. But now it sounds really poor (don't know if it's placebo) and prefer my Earpods over it.

Hi, sorry if this is coming to you a little late, but decided to add my 2 cents on your problem.
If you feel the need to upgrade and you're finding some earphones a little harsh but only have access to big brands, perhaps consider the Sennheiser CX series. I've tried the CX 5.0 and though it's a little expensive and isn't the absolute "best value for money", it was smooth, rich and pleasant sounding with a thick, warm bass. I'd imagine the CX 3.0 would sound very similar, and both come with an in-line mic and remote for phone use.
If thick bass isn't an absolute priority, maybe the Audio Technica ATH-IM50 would suit your preferences for a slightly lower price. The IM50 has a thick upper bass, though low-end starts to roll off around the mid bass section. Unique sound, comfortable and a decent value for money, it's widely available and is most likely accessible to you in India.
Focusing on the XB50AP, it has killer bass... And that's about it. I wouldn't recommend it any longer due to sibilance (harsh S notes). I got it for free and even then that wasn't convincing enough for me to use it. It's just not quite worth your money.
Final note - I know most people on this thread, including myself, would be saying, "Perhaps try this, consider that, and buy this, etc." But the truth of the matter is, if you like your Earpods, I don't see any reason why you should find it absolutely necessary to buy another earphone. If you're satisfied, save the money. I've used two sets of Earpods (before they both broke) and though they certainly aren't the best, they were good enough. Don't pressure yourself into buying more if you don't want to, and just enjoy some music.
Hope I've helped. :)

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #71 of 93
   But the truth of the matter is, if you like your Earpods, I don't see any reason why you should find it absolutely necessary to buy another earphone. If you're satisfied, save the money. I've used two sets of Earpods (before they both broke) and though they certainly aren't the best, they were good enough. Don't pressure yourself into buying more if you don't want to, and just enjoy some music.
Hope I've helped. :)

Good point. I've only listened to the Earpods a few times, but they're perfectly fine. Not bad at all.

Nov 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #72 of 93
I am using the pair of XB50AP directly on mobile devices since 2013, and now with my Fiio A5, and what I can say about them is that the bass is not overwhelming. It sounds round and full, but it's not muddy at all, what I like. I think it goes down somewhere around 60-80Hz, but it's biggest presence is around 200Hz, giving the basslines a nice roundy punch. Mids are quite forwarded and treble is a bit flat. 
I think the burn-in changed the overall characteristics of these, from bassy, to neutral-sounding, with a bit forwarded mids.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #73 of 93
I've been using the xb50 few months now and I really enjoyed them, the first week was difficult for me to find the right tip and right way to put them in  my ears but afterwards I mastered it. 
I tried few weeks ago some audio technica which sounded really good to me, now I'm thinking to get a new pair of earbuds but I don't really want something with less bass than the xb50, 
What you guys suggest? 

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #74 of 93
these are very good. i got a set for my girlfriend when she broke her in ears she was using then. requirements were good sound with decent bass and natural tone, mic, and very durable cable. these have not disappointed at $30 new. in fact i liked them so much for non amped sources and was very impressed with the bass. bought myself a set in a diff color to keep for myself even. why buy budget china buds that can break too easily when these are on the market?

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #75 of 93
I just got a pair of these a couple of days ago. I am primarily a can guy, I am still in love with my Ultrasone HIFI-580's. However I was looking for a good option to have portable bass that I can use in the gym and have a mic for the phone. 

The XB50's have not really impressed me. I got a decent sound when I had them on my FIO E10 but out of my phone Galaxy S7 they really don't sound any better than the stock pair that came with the phone. I am primarily using these attached to my phone as that is what I am listening to in the gym. I am not even impressed with the Bass on these it sounds pretty muddy in my opinion and I can not get it to really hit on my phone unless the volume is almost max.

I am thinking about returning these but I am not sure what I should get as a replacement. I will give these until the end of the week to see if I really even want to keep them. I paid $30 for them, I think they are worth around $15 imo. My real goal is to try and get the same sound I get from my 580's in an IEM or Bud.

Bottom line, I do not recommend this product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back