Sony MDR-XB50: All of your basses...all of them.
Sep 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #31 of 93
They probably just use the same housing then, which does happen from time to time. I will definitely think about exchanging them but I guess I should give them a fair chance first. They certainly excel in bass, it's just it seems that whenever I listen to music the lyrics seem drowned out when there is a lot of bass going on (I listened to a Led Zepplin song, Trampled Under Foot earlier and couldn't even understand what they were saying).

However music by artists like Bassnectar is just awesome :D

The XB50 are definitely not good for every genre, lol. I was really liking them for a while when using the for EDM only, hence the renewed interest and enjoyment.

If you are good at eqing, go wild. Once you tone the bass down , they are pretty malleable. Although, they definitely lack sparkly treble, regardless of what you do.

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #32 of 93
Sadly not really good at EQing, though never really tried. But, I have heard that a small nozzle on the tips=less treble, more bass. And the XB50's stock tips have tiny nozzles. So I was thinking of getting some larger nozzeled eartips on it. Do you think it will help at all? Have you tried?

Oh and do you have any idea of the size of the stem?

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #33 of 93
  Sadly not really good at EQing, though never really tried. But, I have heard that a small nozzle on the tips=less treble, more bass. And the XB50's stock tips have tiny nozzles. So I was thinking of getting some larger nozzeled eartips on it. Do you think it will help at all? Have you tried?

Oh and do you have any idea of the size of the stem?

Large nozzled tips would help I suppose. I don't have any wide bore tips that fits these unfortunately.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #34 of 93
How does it compare to XBA-C10? I'm tempted to get one but I'm now used to the sound of balanced armatures(XBA1 before it got broke on me). Can't choose between the two they're in the same price tag here in my place.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #35 of 93
How does it compare to XBA-C10? I'm tempted to get one but I'm now used to the sound of balanced armatures(XBA1 before it got broke on me). Can't choose between the two they're in the same price tag here in my place.

I've never tried the c10, but I do have the XBA-2. These phones could not be any more different. If you like the sound sig and traits of a BA, you might want to stay away as the XB50 shares none of them, lol.

The XB50 gives mids and treble the middle finger, and turns up the bass dial to over 9,000. Sony designed them with bass in mind, and that's about all they do exceptionally well.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #36 of 93
I've never tried the c10, but I do have the XBA-2. These phones could not be any more different. If you like the sound sig and traits of a BA, you might want to stay away as the XB50 shares none of them, lol.

The XB50 gives mids and treble the middle finger, and turns up the bass dial to over 9,000. Sony designed them with bass in mind, and that's about all they do exceptionally well.

Thanks for the advice though I kinda didn't followed your warning XD

The lady on the Sony Centre gave me a try of XBA-C10(the one w/o mic) and I noticed that its cord was normal like those on the $15 ones. So I decided that I'm going to get whichever comes first, the one with mic C10 or a blue XB50 co'z they're both out of stock. To make this story drama short, I ended up with the blue XB50A

And you're not lying... Someone tuned its bass dial to over 9,000 it's dribbling my head! I let it in my ears for several hours (to get immune) shuffling my whole library of different genres but the bass is overwhelming and eating the vocals. In all fairness, despite of the boom badoom boom bass power of these phones, it doesn't crack and very decent to ears. I like how it perform string instruments especially Koto because of the added bass when the string vibrates. I tried it on Wagakki Band's Yoshiwara Lament. The strings part was very nice but when the drums comes in, bass started to eat the whole everything. 

I tried changing the buds from small nozzles to the larges ones in my stock to reduce bass, but the best way to pull out the best of it I guess is to play the EQ settings. I manage to make it sound closer to the XBA1 which I previously have with the manageable power of its bass so we're kinda friends now.

Though it still lacks the finely tuned treble and mids that balanced armatures can give, it is a well created phones on its price tag. It's not my sound sig but I'm very satisfied with it. Knowing the consequences with the help of this thread :p

I'm still going to get the more pricey XBA30 or the Hybrids if I get a good birthday allowance next year but for a moment I will enjoy this one aha!

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #39 of 93
These headphones are great for what they're made for- popular music genres today. Pop, Hip-Hop, Rap, EDM. These will not do rock, folk, metal, classical, jazz etc. justice at all. This was not the point of these headphones. I like to call these me "dubstep" headphones because really all I want from my electronic music is to get pumped and have fun, hence  the boomy bass these have. The bass on these buds is more than any I've ever tried, Beats, Souls etc. My V-Moda crossfades have half the bass of these. These are about punch and boom. Don't expect to be analytical about some Vivaldi on these. One of the reviews was talking about how these weren't good for classical...DUH!!! You don't buy a monster truck to race in a rally.

Overall, build seems good, lots of bass, recessed everything else. I hear more distortion than average and the bass is loose but sometimes that's good for fun headphones.

Don't get these if you're a hardcore audiophile with a flat signature taste, want to analyze classical and baroque pieces or want give these to your mum to listen to Frank Sinatra.
These are for bassheads, EDM enthusiasts, or fans of bassy, popular music. 

They're a 9/10 for what they're made for.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #40 of 93
3 MONTH USAGE REVIEW:

I've used these earphones for 3 months now and i have even made a video of the earphones u should surely check: 

Now my experience with these IEMs is epic. The External Bass booster really pumps up the bass makin it crispier and more tight. The Sound quality is really awesome if u are a basshead. Although the bass sometimes tends to overpower the treble and gives recessive mids and lows but if u tune in ur EQ a little then u should get around perfectly.

The sound quality is really good and the earphones have a very dynamic sound to them and feel like the sound is coming from the environment rather than from the earphones.

The Noise cancellation is absolutely brilliant and it just shuts the whole world once you put them inside your ears. This makes the sound quality better and more isolated.

Cons:

1. The build quality overall is pretty decent but the driver unit has a cheap plastic shine to it which looks bad.

2. After 2-3 hours of continuous listening they seem to hurt your ears a bit.

3. If u are a person with small ears then u might wanna back off on these because they are a little bulky and big.

4. There should have been a clip with the wire to attach the wire to your clothes.

PROS:

1. The bass is really good and will never let u down.

2. The carrying pouch with it is awesome considering the price in mind and i got mine brand new for only $28 from amazon.

3. The wires are tangle free and really do their duty good.

4. The sound reproduction is really good and works awesome if kept on Flat EQ with good settings.

That's all of my review and do check out my video and if u have any questions or queries then please do leave comments.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #44 of 93
I tried the xb50's but returned them as I consider the urbeats a little better sounding.

Given the price difference I would hope the urbeats were much better. The release of the AS800AP (costing only a touch more than the XB50) makes the XB50 obsolete IMO. Same sound signature, but the AS800AP does all of it better. Except design....it looks like you jammed an egg in the side of your head.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #45 of 93
Is it possible to lose the extra bass on the MDR XB 50 even though the ear ear buds are still working? And is There a way of fixing the bass? Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you talking about making a physical change that would reduce the bass, that you could reverse if necessary? Or did your pair change in a way that the bass was lost, and you are trying to get it back? Or neither, lol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back